4.0 out of 5 stars One of the best voices New Orleans has to offer

1.0 out of 5 stars disappointed
Published on 26 Feb 2012 by doxy

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the best voices New Orleans has to offer, 9 Nov 2002
This review is from: Time is on my side (Audio CD)
Irma Thomas' career started in the early sixties and she is still making records and doing live performances mainly in her local New Orleans area. On this album the focus is on her career in the first half of the sixties when she worked with among others Allen Toussaint and Van McCoy. Irma Thomas is at her best when singing ballads. And their are enough RnB/Soul ballads on this disc. My personal favorite his her own version of James Brown's "It's a man's/woman's world". As good as Brown's original. Something which can't be said of the Rolling Stones cover of "Time is on my side". Listen to the Irma Thomas' original and you start wondering about where Mick Jagger got the guts from to bring his version on to the market where it is so obvious that his version does not even come to the knees of Thomas'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Irma Thomas, 11 Nov 2002
C. Brazier "fizzy-o-tron" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Time is on my side (Audio CD)
This collection from Kent is simply awesome, the legendary. Irma Thomas sings on these tracks like a solid gold soul Queen. What is utterly mystifying is that aside from her searing version of "Time is on My Side" these tracks are not very well known. Listening to Irma is an experience like,discovering Ella Fitzgerald, Tina Turner or Billy Holiday for the first time. These songs beautifully encapsulate experiences of deep love, bitterness and defiance in equal proportions. When the rhythm picks up Irma proves she is more than capable of delivering a dance-floor shaker. All hail Irma

5.0 out of 5 stars A LUCKY PICK, 10 Jun 2014
This review is from: Time is on my side (Audio CD)
ONE OF THE BEST CD I HAVE EVER BROUGHT, I HADN'T EVEN HEARD OFF THIS LADY BEFORE, SHAME ON ME , JUST GREAT.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 3 Feb 2014
This review is from: Time is on my side (Audio CD)
What can i say a beautiful album,with a good quality of sound
ive listened to this alot and its wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smooth as silk, 4 Feb 2009
P. Sherrard-smith "Kilgore Trout" (Forest of Dean) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Time is on my side (Audio CD)
All that you could want from a classic artist of the genre. Nothing better on these winter nights, to stick on the CD with a glass of wine and let Irma take you to some down town club for low lifes!!
Great album

1.0 out of 5 stars disappointed, 26 Feb 2012
This review is from: Time is on my side (Audio CD)
having watched and listened to Irma on the Hugh Laurie dvd I ordered this cd expecting to hear a similiar sound from her but found the cd covered recordings made in the early 60`s when she was quite young . The music was more 60`s "pop " than then blues/soul music that I was looking forward to and since receiving it , it has gone to the bottom of my music pile . Really disappointed as she sang brilliantly on Laurie`s dvd

3.0 out of 5 stars Great CD -, 17 July 2009
This review is from: Time is on my side (Audio CD)
This CD is great except I was looking for the original version of "If Anyone Knows What Love Is (Will Understand) recorded and released on a 45 in 1964 with the opposite side being "Time Is On My Side". The version on the CD is okay just not the original. I will say that the original version of "Time Is On My Side" is on the CD. Other than that the CD is great.

Time is on my side
Time is on my side by Irma Thomas (Audio CD - 1996)