5.0 out of 5 stars Memories
I bought the Album when it came out, god was it that long ago. I think back then I bought it on the strength of the Artwork, which looked like it had been done by Roger Dean on steroids. The more I listened to the music and looked/read the book the better it got, the music just sounded like it should to match the stunning artistry of Mr Patrick Woodroffe.
So has it...
Published on 16 Mar 2009 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice but a little dated now
Published on 26 Dec 2011 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Memories, 16 Mar 2009
This review is from: The Pentateuch of the Cosmogony (Audio CD)
So has it stood the test of time, I think so, it still sounds alive and vibrant, if anything it sounds better now it has had the transfer to CD. In all honesty I had forgotton just how much I loved it, the memories of those far away times came flooding back. Phil Collins proves once again that he's a much underated drummer. Dave Greenslade is a true master of the keyboard and has never really got the respect he deserved and I think this album has a place in anyones music collections.

Just one request could the record company bring this out in the origional packaging so the artwok can be enjoyed it it's full glory.

5.0 out of 5 stars oh, the memories, 28 Sep 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: The Pentateuch of the Cosmogony (Audio CD)
First heard this waaay back when it first came out - a friend's older brother had it. It's still marvellous, although the first half works better for me. I now have the original album and book (you can get it if you look), but the album has a few scratches so I *need* this CD. Great stuff. Incidentally, Patrick Woodroffe (the illustrator and writer) did some more work on the idea, under the title "Second Earth", but it's hard to get hold of.

4.0 out of 5 stars More the book than the LP.... mostly, 18 July 2008
This review is from: The Pentateuch of the Cosmogony (Audio CD)
At a guess, Patrick Woodroffe is the better known of the two. I bought the original LP/book about thirty years back, entranced by the artwork.
Dave Greenslade's contribution sounded a lot better back then, but has paled a lot since - quite how so many keyboards could produce quite such a limited soundscape bothers me, since his contemporaries - Rick Wakeman, Tony Banks, John Lord, Keith Emerson - seemed to do a lot more with the same. Maybe it was the reliance on Yamaha....

The illustrations are quite extraordinary, and stand on their own, alongside any of Woodroffe's other books. Worth getting the 12" version - if you can - just for those.

Now, there is one exception for Greenslade, and when you listen to it you really wonder why he didn't write the rest of the album in the same vein. 'The Tiger and the Dove', in 5 minutes 35 seconds, encapsulates the book, with an atmospheric, evocative, theme, driven by a steady sequenced beat. There is an element of Tangerine Dream's 'Sorceror' soundtrack, and you can easily imagine the great spacecraft from the book slowly emerging from the planetary shadow into sunlight, drawing the viewer's breath as she appears.
The UK has an utter dearth of world-class synth artists - the Germans seem to have that sewn up - and had he written a double LP like 'Tiger' it could have become a classic. Ah well.

5.0 out of 5 stars 34 year wait to buy this album, 13 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Pentateuch of the Cosmogony (Audio CD)
I saw a review of this in the British Science Fiction magazine in 1980. I was intrigued. I had a greenslade album and it was pretty good. I wanted to purchase it but could not find it.
So last week I got it and I am so glad it did. It is an electronic symphony. I would have loved this back in the day. Granted that the booklet is a bit small. Though there are ways round that.

5.0 out of 5 stars memories, 27 Jan 2012
This review is from: The Pentateuch of the Cosmogony (Audio CD)
I remember my then girlfriend buying me this in 1979. i was a keyboardman in a prog rock ensemble at the time and she thought it would appeal to my slightly "odd" musical tastes(she liked soul.the relationship didnt last)

Just want to say that this was one of the most astonishing pieces of work if have ever seen or heard.

listen and read people

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Blown Away' by The Minstrel, 22 Oct 2009
This review is from: The Pentateuch of the Cosmogony (Audio CD)
I first heard this track, The Minstrel' whilst waiting for the main feature film, a Star Trek if my memory serves me well. I was 'blown away' by it. I got up in search of anyone who knew what it was or where it came from. I can remember actually going to the projection room and finding out there from the projectionist who showed me the incredible album with all those pictures. Sadly I lost the album and only thought of it again last year but could not for the life of me remember the title of the track, the album or the artist until tonight whilst surfing through UTube. I see it is on cd now, but how could they ever reproduce those incredible pictures? The music still has that magic of sending me into ecstacy on my air guitar when it reaches its crescendo at the end of the track. I wonder if it 'does it' for anyone else? John

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice but a little dated now, 26 Dec 2011
This review is from: The Pentateuch of the Cosmogony (Audio CD)
I think that other reviewers have covered the pros and cons of this package quite well but I have to state that in my humble opinion that whoever decided to shrink Patrick Woodroffes wonderful art book to CD size with print that's absolutely minuscule and bordering illegible was a complete dingle-berry. They should have just stuck with the original boxed format and substituted the LPs with a CD. Thank god I've got a copy of "The Second Earth" and can really appreciate the quality of the art.
It would also have been a nice idea to provide a wallet or something to stop the mini book falling out.
So CD OK, production of the artwork and packaging so inept it's unbelievable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless Material, 5 Nov 1999
This review is from: The Pentateuch of the Cosmogony (Audio CD)
This is just as good now as it was when I originally bought the vinyl. I ordered my CD from Amazon.COM (before UK had music) and I received a CD-sized version of the original book, with the whole Pentateuch story. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

3.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia isn't what it used to be (but it soon will be), 3 Dec 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The Pentateuch of the Cosmogony (Audio CD)
I bought the original lp + book (or was it book + lp?) way back in the mid-70's. It's still in pristine condition. Listened to it again last week, although my music tastes have adjusted, it was acceptable.
What I still find staggering is the quantity of "packaging" that must have cost a fortune to produce, especially for the small audience that Greenslade had, and yet the original price was no higher for its day.
Definitely an historic album - although it will be remembered for the pictorial art than for the musical art.
Something for my nephews to marvel over when I leave them my record collection in my will.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome album from over 30 years ago, 3 July 2014
This review is from: The Pentateuch of the Cosmogony (Audio CD)
Awesome album from over 30 years ago. Finally found it on CD. Print on ' story' booklet a tad small, but is a good reduction of the original artwork.

The Pentateuch of the Cosmogony
The Pentateuch of the Cosmogony by Greenslade (Audio CD - 2008)