4.0 out of 5 stars The weakest of his albums!?! I don't think so!!!
The guy above doesn't know what he's talking about!!! It's pretty obvious if you are not a fan you are not going to enjoy it!!!

I see somebody else reckons it's the weakest of his albums!?! Are you deaf?

Published on 5 Mar 2007 by TV

3.0 out of 5 stars A great album - poor re-mix
Despite the title of the album that described his life at the time, Rory Gallagher put a tremendous amount of vitality into these recordings. After all the years since his heyday I still find that it's Jinx I listen to the most. So I was eager to get hold of a copy of it on CD.
Published on 10 Mar 2000 by nickclube@cwcom.net

3.0 out of 5 stars A great album - poor re-mix, 10 Mar 2000
This review is from: Jinx (Audio CD)
The music does not disappoint but the remix is not subtle. Rhythm guitars have been lowered in the mix so much that the immediacy and dynamics of Gallagher's music is compromised. 'Signals' is a good illustration of this - a highlight of the original album, this version is lacklustre, and the title track has been robbed of its power.
This is not to say that it is all bad. The mixes work well on some tracks like 'Big Guns' and the vocals now stand out with brilliant clarity throughout. Perhaps this is a good thing for a modern audience and if it helps win some younger fans then fine.
In the meantime, I'll keep hold of my cassette album from the 80's, thanks.

4.0 out of 5 stars The weakest of his albums!?! I don't think so!!!, 5 Mar 2007
TV "tval2112" (Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jinx (Audio CD)

I see somebody else reckons it's the weakest of his albums!?! Are you deaf?

This is a brilliant album and stands up well against any of his previous work. I bought this on cassette when it was released, way back in 1982, when I was just beginning on guitar, and I've learned so much from it.

I wore out the original, and was a little disappointed with the remix myself, as I am used to the original sound, and running list.

Stand out tracks; the masterful "Double Vision" (superb riff, song, solo, everything basically!), "Signals", "Loose Talk", "Jinxed", "Easy Come Easy Go", even the extra tracks "Nothing But The Devil", and "Lonely Mile" (a particular favourite of mine) are excellent, and worth me buying the CD for!

Rory wasn't just a great guitarist, he did everything well, play harmonica, slide guitar, a terrific singer and songwriter, who did things his way, instead of compromising for cash, like so many so called "artistes" do these days.

I've been listing to this album for 25 years, and will still be listening to it in another 25!!! I've given the remixed version here only 4 stars, because I find it rather "muddy", but for the actual songs it's 5 stars, all the way!!

5.0 out of 5 stars great album, Rory is tops, but ..., 19 Jan 2009
This review is from: Jinx (Audio CD)
This is my favourite Rory album, and I have everything he has done (I hope ;-)) Obviously this is not the 'objectively best' album he has done, but when I discovered him for myself first, this was his new album, so I have a personal sentimental attachment to it. It still holds many fantastic tracks whatever you think his really best album is (Irish Tour ?). I saw him live that year Jinx came out, and I have a picture with him letting me hold his '61 Strat'. This is on my wall right now as I am writing this, so this makes me partial.
I put a "but" in the title above because I have this album in vinyl too, and the remix they have done on the CD is not to my liking, especially on the title track - "Jinxed". The Cd version has killed the sound of one my favourite Rory solos ever: the harmonica is too much pushed forward, so I still prefer the vinyl version. I am not sure my criticism is objective: brother Donal writes in the cover notes that this remix is intentional, they wanted to highlight extra musical layers, so maybe I am an old (41 year-old) f.rt.
Anyway, any self-respecting Rory fan will have the vinyl already, and will buy the CD too let alone for the 2 extra tracks.
Rory is in any case and forever my favourite guitar player, and if you are a fan of today's Bonamassa and the like, you must have all his albums.

5.0 out of 5 stars Let's be serious now!, 1 Mar 2008
This review is from: Jinx (Audio CD)
Some of you guys must be listening to a different Jinx or a slipshod Rory impersonater because this is right up there with his best. Sure, it's a straight-down-the-line rock 'n' roll album but that's what makes it brilliant; old fashioned, good time, let your hair down rock 'n' roll. Rory himself would have been the first to admit that he didn't have the best voice in the world but who needs vocal gymnastics when you can play as well as him. There isn't a bad song here from start to finish. Buy it and enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unheralded classic, 4 May 2008
This review is from: Jinx (Audio CD)
Gerry McAvoy in his wonderful book about Rory doesn't rate this album as highly as some others (Rory's first and second in particular which are sheer class) and Gerry was there so he should know. But just re-listening to it now Jinx is crammed with invention and variety although - as another reviewer has noted - it majors on straight-ahead rockers. But for pure joie de vivre just put on 'Double Vision' and listen to Rory saying he's like a man with a voodoo - wonderful, wonderful stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 6 Feb 2011
Maris Ginters (Riga, Latvia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jinx (Audio CD)
Although most Rory's albums are great or at least way above average, this was a sort of surprise for me. It simply has a very good feel about it that makes you want to put it on again and again. The best songs are in the middle of this album - The Devil Made Me Do It, Signals, Jinxed and Easy Come Easy Go. They are all catchy and interesting but each in a different way. However, Jinxed and Easy Come Easy Go stand out with this special groove, feel and, naturally, guitar. Most of other songs on the album only solidify the excellent impression that Jinx creates - Big Guns with its rawness, Double Vision and Lonely Mile with their melody and guitar work. One of Rory's best albums.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rory rocking, 16 Mar 2012
I. H. Roblin (Cardiff, Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jinx (Audio CD)
This is a hard-rocking album, epitomised by the aural assault of opener 'Big guns', the groove boogie of 'Double vision' (very catchy) and a searing guitar solo on 'Signals'.

Highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ordinary, 10 May 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Jinx (Audio CD)
I bought this one for my brother who's been looking for it for years. To me, it sounds like plain rock'n'roll. Sometimes very bluesy... even though the best track is the bonus ballad »Easy Come Easy Go«.
What annoys me are Rory's vocals. Not really a superb singer, and this kinds of downlevels the otherwise OK rock'n'roll.
»Jinx« is mainly for Rory Gallagher fans! The CD booklet says it's symbolic for a difficult phase in his life, so maybe the fans will get much more out of the lyrics and the music.

Jinx
Jinx by Rory Gallagher (Audio CD - 1994)