5.0 out of 5 stars Melody Maker Supreme, 13 Sep 2010
This review is from: MCCOY TYNER/_ENLIGHTENMENT (Audio CD)
This was the first album of Tyner's I bought. I had read a review in Melody Maker where adjectives like "devastatingly brilliant" were being used to describe it and the man. I was not disappointed. Just listening to this at home takes your breath away. I imagine that those priveliged enough to have been there consider this one of their great concert experiences. In an attempt to recreate this, all the music played is included. On the original double LP this meant overlapping the music on
sides 2,3 and 4. Therefore the cd is a definite improvement.

There are so many highlights, I'm only going to mention the bass solo by Joony Booth at the beginning of Walk Sprit,Talk Spirit, which acts as an intro. It's so good I sometimes find myself hummimg it! The rest of the music is intense but never anything but melodic. What musicianship!

Living in Barcelona, I have been fortunate enough to see MT on 3 occasions, the last one in July this year. These days he has the physical aspect of an old man due to crippling illness and I got the impression that this would be the last time.
The fact that he played WSTS indicates that he considers it to be one of his favourites. He played like the genius he is

Thanks for everything McCoy.

4.0 out of 5 stars flimsey paperwork., 17 Mar 2014
This review is from: MCCOY TYNER/_ENLIGHTENMENT (Audio CD)
The first thing I noticed about this release was how thin the paperwork was.It was so thin that the paper on the window behind the tray was wrinkled.But I find that to iron them between two pieces of paper does flatten it.But it will come back though because it is so thin...Good music though!

MCCOY TYNER/_ENLIGHTENMENT
MCCOY TYNER/_ENLIGHTENMENT by McCoy Tyner (Audio CD - 2006)