on 6 May 2012
Review of the remastered album.

Honestly this is one of my favourite albums, and I've waited a long time for a remaster. I'm trying not to be biased here...

This album captures the end of teen angst and the freefall into adulthood, seeing the world with shocking clarity. The lyrics are still apposite somehow in my 36th year, and I'm generally far more content in my world than I was 15 years ago when I first heard this - but this is album not just about the self, but the world outside my window its peaks and troughs, its futility and love, its life and death. Alongside the lyrics is a potent brew of buzzing guitars, cellos, psychedelic washes and reverb, acoustic folkyness and a high production value, a combination only rarely achieved in an 'alt rock band' - perhaps The Cure spring to mind as a British equivalent?

Anyway the remaster... Billy Corgan has been an overseer in the process of this re-release, in the same way Robert Smith was with The Cure remasters. Always a good thing when the main writer is heavily involved with a remaster in my opinion. The sound quality is frankly outstanding, and for me the first time the CD has really shone, and shown the high production value for what it is. The multi-layering on many of the tracks is far more apparent, with a few layers revealed I've never heard before, even after many listens. The reverb and delay effects have much greater clarity, and make more sense somehow, giving a more spacey and psychedelic edge. Vocals are clear, but to be honest always were. One of the best improvements is in the clarity of the drums - they are much more present without being overwhelming or loud. This adds a lot of weight to the album overall giving a more vinyl quality in its dynamic nature.

All in all this is a big success - I've not been near the extras yet but look forward to them. For those concerned with the 'loudness war', this isn't an obviously loud CD by any stretch (sorry that's the extent of my knowledge in this area!). In summary this re-release shows a great improvement sonically over the original, unveiling subtlety, pushing the weight and dynamics to an appropriate max, and adds a great deal to the already obvious quality of the lyrics, music and feel of the album. What more could we ask for! 5 stars, just for the remastering. Thanks Billy.
on 13 April 2002
After the pumpkins first album Gish, billy and co knew they had to make a record that had to be huge, to keep up with the sales of Pearl Jam and Nirvana. Siamese Dream was the result. A blissful, loud, heartfelt and aggresive record that sparked the begining of the pumpkns rise to fame in the rock scene. Opening with two drum roles, Siamese Dream is a special record that take you on a roller coaster ride of emotions right from beginig to end. The album features rocking loud tracks such as Cherub Rock and Geek U.S.A, it also features sombre and refective songs such as Luna, Sweet Sweet and Mayonaise, anthems such as Today and Rocket and possibly the highlight of the album Disarm. This is an incredible album that purely shows how big a genius Billy Cogan is. Siamese Dream is Not to be missed. A real masterpiece.
on 28 January 2014
Let me start by saying, i take drugs and the only drug i take is 'Siamese dream'. I have never listened to an album that motivates my emotions in such a way. The whole album has a psychedelic aurora which hooks you from the get go, and before you know it the second dose is inevitable. My favorites, 'Mayonaise' and 'Soma' exuberate a soft and somewhat numb sound that slowly builds into a distorted 'Loveless-esque' bliss. Perfect. Corgan's american whine is absoultey spot-on, like bad weather is to Britian. I would have thought i'd become bored of this record or at least somehow 'wear out' the mp3 files that hold this greatness but instead i find myself coming back for more, listening to the finer details. I couldn't recommend this album enough, it's the best album of the 90's, Buy it, listen, repeat.
on 28 December 2011
I purchased this album after it was features on a BBC Radio Series called "Master Pieces". I was my first exposure to Smashing Pumpkins and I found it all the tracks to be consistently good. And works well as a series of tracks.
Disarm is probably my favourite track.
on 29 November 2006
If you don't have this album, then let me give you some advice: don't go a minute longer without it in your life. I'm not going to hold back here, because Siamese Dream doesn't deserve anything less than the most outrageous, over-stated accolades to be bestowed upon its god-like charms.

Indeed, when the guitar and drum intro comes tumbling out of your speakers, it's as if god himself, unshaven and flannel shirted, has invaded your stereo to tell you that, when he invented guitar music, this is what he envisaged. Then the riff of Cherub Rock breaks out, and your journey has begun.

Siamese Dream is the embodiment of a great guitar album. It's riff-tastic in parts, intricate in others. It's got your anthemic rockers, yes. But if you want a slower number - it's got plenty of them apples too. Most importantly, though, Siamese Dream is a rock album. And like all great rock albums (this one, of course, being the greatest), it holds together to be one continuous, flowing work. While every tune on it is a peach, the album as a whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

It's too difficult to pick stand-out tracks here, because not a chorus, verse, riff, intro, outro or drumbeat is wasted - it's just all perfect.

Incase you hadn't noticed, I'm completely in love with this record, and would strongly encourage you to take my advice and give it a listen.

We salute you, Billy Corgan.
on 5 January 2012
This amazing album sounds even more amazing with the remastered treatment as you can really tell and hear different things you might not have noticed before, this is really where the pumpkins took off with such songs as today, disarm and cherub rock. You can really hear how layered it is with the remastering and also the bonus disc is a real treat with subtle different takes on songs from pisces iscariot and siamese dream.
the live disc is great as it shows a more confident band in their surroundings and is just an all round blistering performance from the whole band.
on 8 June 2009
Guitar fuelled, this album is Pure 90's Rock. Post Grunge Golliaths, Smashing Pumpkins, dont dissapoint with this epic album.

Cherub Rock, Today, Geek USA are my highlights of this album, as having heard them play these songs, you cant exagerate the pure energy this band inject into their songs. This is really noticable on this album. I recommend listening to this band Very Loud, with bass on full, as without doubt, this is how it was meant to be listened.

Not too long, and not too pretencious, just pure Heavy hook filled rock
on 18 December 2008
This album now has 6o bleedin' 4 five star reviews. It's possible someone out there is wondering to buy or not to buy. One of the greatest albums of the last four decades. Simply essential.
on 3 June 2009
I'll keep this short as everyone else seems to sum this album up. It is one of the best albums ever made. It is unique. I bought this about 12 years ago and still can listen to it all the way through. whilst I do like the Smashing Pumpkins, I am not a massive fan but out of all their albums, this is the one to get followed the Mellon Collie & the Infinite Sadness. There is such a range of different sounds and styles on this album and will have you putting some tracks on repeat.
VINE VOICEon 14 March 2006
This is for me one of rock music´s defining records that helped re-draw the boundaries of alternative rock in the nineties. The thing is that nobody has come up with anything like it since. The guitars they used on this are still smouldering away somewhere.
The opening drum beat on "Cherub Rock," sounds like something you might here from a majorette, a bit of bass and then the rip into the multi-layered metal sound that is the signature of this album.
One of the anomalies is that for me the strongest tracks on the album are the ones they never even released as singles. It really is that strong. For example, I love the uplifting riff on,"hummer," and sprawling manic guitar finish to the masterpiece,"Soma."
In between you have sandwiched the beautifully melodic,"today," and the inventive,"rocket," with it´s great use of the melatron. The only track I´m not such a fan of has to be,"disarm," it bought the group a lot of commercial success but I find it rather clichéd.
"Geek USA," is another abrasive slice of 100 miles an hour rock and then you have another classic, the bare, passsionate lyric of,"Mayonaisse."
The production is amazing and the guitars so multi-layered it still sounds like it was finished off last night.
When I originally bought this I listened to nothing else for about six months and I find I´m still playing it on a regular basis now.
The album that throws down the gauntlet to all other alternative rock bands.