Format: Audio CDChange

on 8 October 2000
This was the first of Ben Harpers four albums that I heard, I think they are all Brilliant but The Will to live is my favourite. Faded is a brilliant opening track and the way it stops halfway through and then starts up again a minute later is fantastic. Roses from my friends, my favourite track on the album, has incredible feeling in the lyrics and Ben Harpers vocals could not be any better. Other highlights on this album are The Will to Live and Glory & Consequence, I cannot find a weak track on this Album all the songs are superb and the different styles of music Ben Harper can play shows what a talented musician he is.
on 7 February 2005
This is not my favourtite Ben harper album(being welcome to the cruel world). However, it is definetly some of the best Ben Harper around. It marks him starting out and so has a greater acousttic sound than some of his later stuff. It contains the brilliant upbeat 'Glory and consequence'combined with slower tunes like 'ashes to ashes ' with its startling lyrics about the breakdwon of a relationship. I have seen this man live and believe me he is no disappointment. If you own no Ben Harper start off with this album you will grow to love it and then you can see how his sound progresses during his other records.
on 4 July 2013
have previously purchased and listened to a couple of bens previously released material. this is one cd that i've only just got round to listening to. somewhat surprised at how immediate and memorable these songs are on this particular cd. they do seem to stick in your memory upon initial listening. excellent purchase! well chuffed!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 July 2000
I bought this album because someone told me that Harper sounded like a cross between Bob Marley and Jimi Hendrix!
He actually sounds like neither of them but you can certainly see the point. Harper mixes up such a diverse set of styles that this could almost be a various artists set. There is reggae (Jah Work), accoustic slide-guitar blues (I Want To Be Ready), grungy rock (The Will To Live), folky, Country (Ashes) and blistering funk (Mamas Trippin).
And therein lies the problem with this album. Harper is obviously extremely talented and can turn his hand to anything, but you are left wishing that he would develop his own style rather than trying to copy everyone else.
Worth checking out all the same.
0Comment11 of 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 November 2014