Published on 24 Dec 2011 by Matthew Stoneman

3.0 out of 5 stars CD has scratches, keeps failing to read some songs
Published 2 months ago by Eda ipci

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Once Upon A Time, Victoria Beckham Used To Be Called Victoria Adams, 24 Dec 2011
Matthew Stoneman "90's Guy" (North Devon, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spice (MP3 Download)
For many, many, many, MANY years, it was believed that the single biggest question playing on the minds of every human being on the planet was "What is the meaning the life?" I can tell you that's not true. The real single biggest question playing on the minds of every human being on the planet is "Is it possible for a straight guy to listen to an album by one of the biggest girl groups of the 90's, and like it?" I can answer that question. It jolly well is my good man...or good boy, depending on your age.

When the Spice Girls began their quest for world musical domination in 1996, I shuddered at the thought. For a while they were all anybody could talk about. No one could go five minutes without watching a TV show or listening to a radio without seeing or hearing the ridiculously famous five in music action. You couldn't even open a newspaper without seeing the girls' In-Your-Face poses and expressions as they heavily promoted "Girl Power." Being a boy that was obviously bad news for me, and I found them just that Liiiiiiiiii-tle bit annoying.

But as the times moved further and further into this 21st century and I began to appreciate what the 90's had given me more, I realized that the Spice Girls actually had some really great music. It was certainly a lot better than what Girls Aloud have ever managed. This review is in danger of turning into an autobiography about my own life, so I'll just start talking about the girls' first album "Spice."

There are ten tracks on offer here. The first track is arguably the girls' most renowned piece of work, WANNABE. The strong beat combined with the loud booming lyrics made it the perfect advert for their brand of "Girl Power." SAY YOU'LL BE THERE isn't quite as In-Your-Face in terms of sound, but anybody who's seen the video that goes with this song will know these women were not to be messed with. Legend has it David Beckham fell in love with Victoria after seeing her in that video. As for me I just like the tune. So much so I even pretend to play the harmonica after the second chorus.

But the Spice Girls were not just all about attitude. From time to time they sang heartfelt songs which really stirred up the emotions. Evidence of this comes from 2 BECOME 1, a slow-paced love song that was successful in scoring them the first of their three Christmas Number 1's in 1996. Meanwhile MAMA is clearly a declaration of love towards their mothers, and it does make an ideal Mother's Day song request. I enjoy listening to its beat, and to me the acoustic part at the beginning is the icing on the cake.

I don't know every single Spice Girls song in existence. So downloading this album gave me the perfect opportunity to check out some of the group's lesser known songs. One of the hidden gems I ended up discovering was LOVE THING. It's got a super addictive 90's R&B vibe and I'm confident I'll be playing this tune over and over again for quite some time.

The Spice Girls have their own problems these days: Geri's see-saw weight, Eddie Murphy doing a runner on one of Mel B's kids, Victoria's chronic pouting lips, Mel C's sexuality rumours, and Emma's...actually she's doing OK at the moment career wise. But overall "Spice" is just a great album to listen to, even if you are a guy. So leave that Jeep parked in the garage, put that army suit back in the wardrobe, and sit down and listen to an undeniable music highlight of the 90's. If any girls ask, tell them the 90's Guy sent you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not even guilty of this., 19 May 2014
Adam Hall (Oxfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spice (Audio CD)
Many people consider the Spice Girls to be their "guilty pleasure" and secretly want to belt "Wannabe" whenever they hear it but are way too cool. I am NOT way too cool. I publicly display my love for this album - it is stellar 90's girl power pop.

3.0 out of 5 stars CD has scratches, keeps failing to read some songs, 29 April 2014
This review is from: Spice (Audio CD)
I got the package in time, early in fact. That's a good thing, but CD has scratches and keeps failing to read some songs. Or I hear some "repeating words" while playing (or everytime I play that same part). The record is old, so I didn't matter that much but sometimes it gets a little annoying. The CD was unsealed but no pages were missing from the booklet. Everything is good exept for the scratched CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, 3 Mar 2014
This review is from: Spice (Audio CD)
Another great album this really is great I have a huge cd collection and this was a fantastic edition to my growing collection 100% recommended

4.0 out of 5 stars pretty damn catchy stuff, 26 Nov 2012
This review is from: Spice (Audio CD)
and whilst clearly not quite Dark Side of the Moon - your record colelction isnt really complete without these ladies.
If youre honest.
And I am
And this plays very well and will bring a smile to your face.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 30 Sep 2012
This review is from: Spice (MP3 Download)
I probably should not admit that I love this album it reminds me of my childhood. Very easy and quick to download.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pop at its absolute best, 10 Mar 2008
This review is from: Spice (Audio CD)
This remains one of my most treasured albums. Back when I was 9 in the summer of '96 I heard 'Wannabe' for the 1st time and I was hooked, as was the rest of the country. It was the closest we were gonna get to another Beatlemania and it was such a huge buzz. Especially as this was a group of mad girls instead of the usual four men in a band. They weren't great singers, nor were they great dancers but they had so much chemistry and the songs were superb. 'Wannabe', 'Say you'll be there' and '2 become 1' are some of the best pop songs of all time but thats not to say the rest of the album is filler coz its not. 'Naked' is fantastic, as is 'If you can't dance'. Everytime I hear this album it fills me with such a nostalgic buzz and takes me back to my childhood. Not everyone is going to like it but if you love good pop songs you'll love this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spice Girls Rock, 2 Dec 2007
Roland F. J. West (devon, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spice (Audio CD)
I Have to say this is the best album ever made all the songs r great and you have to love the great "Say You'll Be There" and the great "Wannabe" This is a Must Buy!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!!!!, 24 Nov 2007
This review is from: Spice (Audio CD)
Great album from the worlds biggest girl group ever.

Contains the million sellers ''Wannabe'' ''Say You'll be there'' ''2 become 1'' also the double single ''Mama''/ ''who do you thin you are?'' all of which were number one.

This album also contains the hidden gems ''Love Thing'' ''First Time Lover'' and ''something kind of funny''.

Any fan of pop has to have this in their collections.

5.0 out of 5 stars GIRL POWER!, 19 Jan 2007
Ms. H. M. Taylor (Cardiff, Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spice (Audio CD)
The Spice Girls came out when I was about 8 or 9 years old. I thought they rocked. Now, as a professional musician, I still think they were wicked. I am an opera singer and a pianist and fully appreciate how cheesey and simple these songs are. But if you grew up in the era and loved them then, you'll still love them now! True, many of the songs have no actual point but if you listen to alot of the songs coming out in the charts these days, not many of them do!! Its nice to have a break from the serious stuff and listen to the cheese of the 90's. An amazing era, with some wicked bands. So basically, if you love the Spice Girls (even in their extinct form) you will lurve this.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Spice
Spice by Spice Girls (Audio CD - 1996)