5.0 out of 5 stars Excuse me Mr, won't you lend me your ear..., 9 Dec. 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Fight For Your Mind (Audio CD)
Ben Harper has only just entered my CD collection (how did I miss him before?) and is firmly planted for a long time in the most-listened-to section. The tracks are mainly acoustic guitar-based, spiced up with hypnotic bongo rhythms and Ben Harper's beautiful vocals. You can't help being drawn into his emotive lyrics, especially in Another Lonely Day - it feels like he's singing live, just for you. Corny but true.
Fight For Your Mind is as varied as an album comes, you never know where he's going to take you with the next track; from the calm defiance of Opression to the rockier bitterness of Ground on Down and my favourite, the super-chilled bongo fest, Burn One Down. Why oh why does Ben Harper not get more recognition???

5.0 out of 5 stars Fire your publicist!, 1 May 2006
M. Fermor - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fight For Your Mind (Audio CD)
I originally stumbled on Ben Harper when I was at university. This was some years after this album was released. I had never heard of him before and I am still shocked by how little he is known in the UK today. I was therefore very grateful to my friend that I was prevented from being one of the many who could have missed out on someone who has since become one of my favourite musicians.

He has been portrayed by the press as mentor to Jack Johnson though to draw comparisons between the two would be a rather banal process and a discredit to either as they are very different and talented artists in their own right.

This album burns with a "gentle rage" that is fuelled by issues close to Harper's heart: racial discrimination; civil liberties and globalisation. These are clearly huge issues to discuss through song but Harper maintains his credibility as a consequence of the personal passion he breathes into his songs.

Though often the subjects can be fairly bleak the music is conversely very uplifting. Relaxing and with a loving spoonful of moody bass you are sure to feel chilled out even without the need to "Burn One Down"!

I sincerely hope he gets the exposure he thoroughly deserves in his later years. If only to allow him to tour more regularly and widely over here so I can see him more often!

5.0 out of 5 stars An album to suit all occations, 12 Dec. 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Fight For Your Mind (Audio CD)
This is an exellent album. All the songs are simple and easy listening, but with enough energy to shake the house. Songs such as Gold to Me and Fight for your mind show the bassists sense of funk and groove while all the songs diplay the emotional skill of Bens singing and playing. A perfect social CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you only want one Ben Harper album then this is it., 21 May 2014
A rich emotional album from one of the great artists of our times. Fight for your mind is a start to finish play which makes it perfect for your vinyl collection. Every track is worth a mention but Excuse Me Mr and Burn One Down are Ben Harper live set standards, my personal favourite is the chunky electric guitar driven Ground On Down. Buy It. Then thank whoever first introduced Ben to your ears.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ben Harper is a legend!, 11 Jun. 2004
This review is from: Fight For Your Mind (Audio CD)
This has been one of the best albums I have owned. I listen to it at least once a week. You will never get tired of hearing it. Another lonely day has to be the most well written song on the face of the planet, with lyrics like "I'd rather walk alone... than chase you around, I'd rather fall myself than let you drag me on down"
Please take my work on this album as you will find this to be one of those albums you will find hard to take out of your CD player and you WILL spread the word on how fantastic his music is.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent!, 22 April 2014
C. Watkins (birmungham uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fight For Your Mind (Audio CD)
another masterpiece from ben and the boys. only wish i'd discovered him many years ago. but having said that. it is never too late. so go out and purchase. excellent!

5.0 out of 5 stars If only there were 6 stars!!, 16 Nov. 2005
Mr. L. D. T. Sheppard "surf9er" (Bournemouth, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fight For Your Mind (Audio CD)
This is probably the most accessible of Ben Harper's albums in that it's the easiest to listen to, and so is a great introduction to his work. It is also one of the best albums I have ever bought. It's so difficult to explain what makes Ben Harper and this album so great, and I'm not going to start all this pretentious nonsense about how deeply soulful it is. You really need to listen to it as an album. Some artists make great songs, others make great albums. Ben Harper does both - the tracks work individually but, as an entire album, this is a masterpiece.
I'm going to stop there because, to me, it's impossible to describe why it's so good. Just buy it - you won't be wrapping it up as someone else's Christmas present. You'll look after it and never look back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this now, 8 April 2006
boona1 (Gateshead, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fight For Your Mind (Audio CD)
Ben Harper is an artist you can turn back too repeatedly and find new depth and meaning in his work. This album is, in my opinion, his strongest from the protest blues of 'Excuse me Mr.' (which will test the bass capabilities of your stereo!) to the beautiful sparse sound of 'Power of the gospel' which is enough to drive this atheist old school metal head to the verge of tears. Ben brings power and subtlety to every song on this album. If you enjoy music, any music, then I would say buy this, listen with an open mind and be converted!

5.0 out of 5 stars great value, will use, 26 July 2014
This review is from: Fight For Your Mind (Audio CD)
Fast postage, great value, will use again

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 6 Nov. 2014
Everything was perfect¡¡¡

Fight For Your Mind
Fight For Your Mind by Ben Harper (Audio CD - 1995)