Format: Audio CD|Change

on 15 June 2015
Good CD would recomend it
on 20 May 2002
This isn't consistently the best album, but Impossible Dreamer is one of the prettiest songs to a lover ever written, while Tax Free is simply a belter of a song- a bitter attack on TV evangelists. I never like every song on any of her albums but I think Dog eat Dog is pretty good certainly better than Turbulent Indigo.
on 18 May 2014
This is my second favourite JM album, Wild Things Run Fast being my favourite. She is so versatile that I suspect there will always be a great divide between Blue lovers and Dog Eat Dog aficionados. Yes it is 'poppy' but the lyrics are to die for. Excellent musicianship from the band, catchy hooks (and why not? Let's not be too purist about this.)
Fine stuff.
on 31 March 2002
Ok, I have this CD but, that is only 'cause I'm a big Joni fan. The only listenable track is 'Smokin...' which is a short and clever instrumental. I suppose the title track is ok too but, in comparison to her other albums this is not good at all. The problen is she has relied too much on 80's technology which makes it perhaps the most dated of all her albums.
When it is not being too unmelodic and experimental it is sounding like throw away jazz pop. There is no romance on this album like the previous ones. She has focused more on political aspects. Her lyrics don't sound as clever as ussual and she sounds uncomfortable singing it and it doesn't seem to come out freely and natural. Maybe it was rushed! I think she could have done without Thomas Dolby! Still it is cheap so if you are a Joni fan! Artwork not on form either! I think 'Chalk Mark...' is a little better and of course she was back on form in the 90's.
on 10 June 2016
very good
on 3 August 2011
I never, ever, categorize this record as a "Joni Mitchell" record, as many people will, as that's how comparisons are made. Joni Mitchell proved throughout her career just how versatile she is, and if you make a comparison between this record, and something like "Blue", you are being so irrelevant.

Dog Eat Dog is a terrific album, with stunning soundscapes, lush arrangements, and truly mesmerizing vocals and songwriting from Joni, as expected.
on 13 June 2015
Great lp
on 30 December 2013
Finally bought this. One of her best in my opinion. My favourite track is Tax free. The quality is great.
on 22 February 2013
A fantastic album which I originally had on its first release and which I have bought for a young aspiring musician and Joni lover as an Xmas gift.
on 29 January 2015