Format: Audio CD|Change

on 13 June 2005
I read the reviews here and it gave me second thoughts about buying this album. However I thought at £3.33 what the hell. I'm really glad that I did. Sure it isn't "Blue" and it does't have some of the angst from "For the Roses" but it's a different side to Joni. I played it three times back to back and really enjoyed it. It shows her just not playing safe and as usual has some really interesting lyrics - check out "the three great stimulants" and "Shiny Toys" The best tracks for me are "Good Friends", "Impossible Dream" and "Lucky Girl" and they show the diversity on this album. Thomas Dolby isn't a natural producer for Joni but he gives this an interesting edge (and I do like "She blinded me with science"!). If you like Joni you have got to be mad not to invest three quid on this!
on 15 January 2008
Dod Eat Dog is a great electric era album + personal favourite from this major artist, which came out in 1985. the cd starts off with the glorious radio friendly "good friends" with michael mcdonald co-singing, but has many fine thought provoking tracks concerning consumerism ("shiny toys"), anti-tv evangelist ("tax-free","dog eat dog"), anti-mass media ("fiction", "the three great stimulants"), with sharp, albeit slightly "big" production, strong rhythmic tunes, innovative tracks ("smokin" features a cigarette coin slot machine)and sharply pointed lyrics - all highlighting the relevance of Joni then at the height of the worst of U.S.eighties society, and unfortunately still all too relevant now.

less jazzy or soft rock than slightly earlier releases such as "hissing of summer lawns" + " wild things run fast" (both v fine lps also), "dog eat dog" is undoubtedly an 80's "intelligent" pop sounding release but moves on a long way from her solo troubador image via "blue" or i'd also strongly recommend her later less FM orientated "chalk mark in a rain storm" lp also.

as sharp a "pop" lp from Joni as any released in the noughties. "dog eat dog" oozes quality - then and now.
on 21 August 2006
This album isn't a showcase for the quality of Joni Mitchell's voice and I would think it wasn't supposed to be,because it deals with some ugly political topics such as corrupt religious preachers in the USA.I found Dog Eat Dog compulsive listening because the music is so darned original,and the lyrics aggressive and intelligent.There just isn't an album like Dog Eat Dog anywhere.Everyone should buy it because it is so utterly unique.
on 29 September 2014
This is the album that lost Joni a lot of fans. She was accused of letting herself be recorded by slick 1980's producers who drenched her music in the LA studio gloss - the exact opposite of her earlier self-produced albums with long-time engineer Henry Lewy. It was known as her 'angry' album, sniping at 'hawk-right militant' Christian zealots ("Tax Free") and the then-prevelant yuppie culture that had all but wiped away the (misplaced?) optimism of the sixties. So, does that make it a bad album? Having not listened to it for twenty years, it's not been off my CD player for the last couple of couple of months, and I'm hooked. It's certainly not Joni as many of us love her, but the album is full of outraged passion and integrity - albeit with super-slick 80's production bells and whistles. It requires a bit of work from the listener, but it's worthwhile - and with a couple of hearings quite accessible. Some might even think of it as a guilty pleasure with its' pounding drums and snarling guitars. Either way, while Joni was perhaps only guilty of trying to keep up with the times (The Police, The Pretenders, disco), this is not the disaster some it make out to be. If you're a Joni fan, perhaps it's time to re-aquaint yourself with it - some of it is pretty prescient of our own times....
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 21 April 2015
Until the release of "Shine" this, Joni's second album for Geffen Records from 1985 constituted arguably her most politicized work. She had recorded political commentary in her records, most notably on "Big Yellow Taxi" but here she wore her heart on her sleeve, deriding the tax status of American TV evangelists ("Tax Free"), greed and consumerism ("Dog Eat Dog", "Ethiopia" and "Shiny Toys"), war ("The Three Great Stimulants") and poverty ("Ethiopia"). It's a full out attack on what she sees wrong in the world with direct lyrics rather than the poetic, mystical lyrics of older work. Add to that the album is graced by 1980's slick production values courtesy of Larry Klein and Thomas Dolby, Fairlight keyboards, drum samples and backing from a rock band. "Blue" this isn't.

However the album works, in particular on opener "Good Friends", as radio-friendly a track as Mitchell ever produced with co-vocals courtesy of Michael McDonald. The title track itself is for me the other standout here, with backing from James Taylor and Don Henley . Only as the album closes with "Impossible Dreamer" and "Lucky Girl" does the anger dominating the bulk of the album seem to evaporate into two quite lovely tunes on the face of it but with digs at a room 'Full of sharks" and 'Cheaters, woman beaters and Huck Finn shucksters'.

This is a brave outpouring, feelings laid bare which is familiar for Mitchell. Only this time the subject matter isn't love, it's injustice. Despite the mid-80's production it has stood the test of time with issues as relevant today as they were then.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 9 December 2015
My eyes don't deceive me,people have reviewed this in a positive light! For me,and of course it is just my opinion,these Geffen recordings were the absolute low point of Joni's career.Lost is the individuality,among a generalised female rocky persona.Not,I think,one for the fan of the earlier years,of which I am a dyed in the wool one.Tastes differ,of course,but I can't ever see myself appreciating this fall from grace.Was it Joni's idea,or Geffen's?I don't know,but don't really care.Money not well spent,for me.Get the complete Reprise/Asylums,and give the Geffens a wide(very wide) berth,is my advice.I've heard "both sides now",and do not like this one.It "clouds" my vision of a great,great artist,and makes me "blue".
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 June 2016
An album I missed and certainly one of Joni's best!

Only purchased it recently and I've had it on the CD player for weeks, it's brilliant!

After all the Joni albums from the start, in my eyes, the was a big change of style and content. Deep lyrics that have the feel of Protest, not her usual style except in Big Yellow Taxi in Joni's original albums.

"Three Great Stimulants" is my favourite song.

Certainly one of Joni's very best piece of work.
on 15 August 2012
I bought the vinyl when it came out. I thought it was ok for a while but whenever I've gone back to it I've not really liked it. It's the beauty of her melodies and lyrics that make me go back to her from time to time - but there's not much beauty in this album, the songs are just a little too strident, she tries too hard for a political edge. JM is better when she's subtle. Someone said here that Ladies Of The Canyon left her cold, but if I had to buy just two of her albums again they would be LotC and Hejira - I'd buy the latter for 'Amelia' alone.
on 15 April 2015
A wonderful album that I never get sick of listening to. My favourite track is Ethiopia which always brings a tear to my eye.
on 15 February 2005
Good friends is a really good song, the best on this album. It is what Joni should of done when the eighties came. What eles did people expect her to do? Folk music was not popular, jazz was more rare because this type of music was all over the place the same way singer songwriters where 15 years before this album. Although being really commercial, it still has meaning to it and plus Joni put loads of money into this but it is one of her least successful albums i don't know why