5.0 out of 5 stars I'm glad I wasn't put off......................!
Published on 13 Jun 2005 by The Realsoulbluesman

2.0 out of 5 stars The cover is great but....
Published on 15 Aug 2012 by Harris Tottle

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm glad I wasn't put off......................!, 13 Jun 2005
The Realsoulbluesman "MikeT" (Clitheroe, Lancashire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dog Eat Dog (Audio CD)
I read the reviews here and it gave me second thoughts about buying this album. However I thought at £3.33 what the hell. I'm really glad that I did. Sure it isn't "Blue" and it does't have some of the angst from "For the Roses" but it's a different side to Joni. I played it three times back to back and really enjoyed it. It shows her just not playing safe and as usual has some really interesting lyrics - check out "the three great stimulants" and "Shiny Toys" The best tracks for me are "Good Friends", "Impossible Dream" and "Lucky Girl" and they show the diversity on this album. Thomas Dolby isn't a natural producer for Joni but he gives this an interesting edge (and I do like "She blinded me with science"!). If you like Joni you have got to be mad not to invest three quid on this!

5.0 out of 5 stars a great "undiscovered" Joni album, 15 Jan 2008
This review is from: Dog Eat Dog (Audio CD)
Dod Eat Dog is a great electric era album + personal favourite from this major artist, which came out in 1985. the cd starts off with the glorious radio friendly "good friends" with michael mcdonald co-singing, but has many fine thought provoking tracks concerning consumerism ("shiny toys"), anti-tv evangelist ("tax-free","dog eat dog"), anti-mass media ("fiction", "the three great stimulants"), with sharp, albeit slightly "big" production, strong rhythmic tunes, innovative tracks ("smokin" features a cigarette coin slot machine)and sharply pointed lyrics - all highlighting the relevance of Joni then at the height of the worst of U.S.eighties society, and unfortunately still all too relevant now.

less jazzy or soft rock than slightly earlier releases such as "hissing of summer lawns" + " wild things run fast" (both v fine lps also), "dog eat dog" is undoubtedly an 80's "intelligent" pop sounding release but moves on a long way from her solo troubador image via "blue" or i'd also strongly recommend her later less FM orientated "chalk mark in a rain storm" lp also.

as sharp a "pop" lp from Joni as any released in the noughties. "dog eat dog" oozes quality - then and now.

5.0 out of 5 stars biting lyrics and highly original music, 21 Aug 2006
This review is from: Dog Eat Dog (Audio CD)
This album isn't a showcase for the quality of Joni Mitchell's voice and I would think it wasn't supposed to be,because it deals with some ugly political topics such as corrupt religious preachers in the USA.I found Dog Eat Dog compulsive listening because the music is so darned original,and the lyrics aggressive and intelligent.There just isn't an album like Dog Eat Dog anywhere.Everyone should buy it because it is so utterly unique.

4.0 out of 5 stars Time to reassess Joni's 'angry' album, 29 Sep 2014
This review is from: Dog Eat Dog (Audio CD)
This is the album that lost Joni a lot of fans. She was accused of letting herself be recorded by slick 1980's producers who drenched her music in the LA studio gloss - the exact opposite of her earlier self-produced albums with long-time engineer Henry Lewy. It was known as her 'angry' album, sniping at 'hawk-right militant' Christian zealots ("Tax Free") and the then-prevelant yuppie culture that had all but wiped away the (misplaced?) optimism of the sixties. So, does that make it a bad album? Having not listened to it for twenty years, it's not been off my CD player for the last couple of couple of months, and I'm hooked. It's certainly not Joni as many of us love her, but the album is full of outraged passion and integrity - albeit with super-slick 80's production bells and whistles. It requires a bit of work from the listener, but it's worthwhile - and with a couple of hearings quite accessible. Some might even think of it as a guilty pleasure with its' pounding drums and snarling guitars. Either way, while Joni was perhaps only guilty of trying to keep up with the times (The Police, The Pretenders, disco), this is not the disaster some it make out to be. If you're a Joni fan, perhaps it's time to re-aquaint yourself with it - some of it is pretty prescient of our own times....

5.0 out of 5 stars It's All A Matter of Taste!, 18 May 2014
Rob Shipton "rob_the_brit" (East Anglia, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dog Eat Dog (Audio CD)
This is my second favourite JM album, Wild Things Run Fast being my favourite. She is so versatile that I suspect there will always be a great divide between Blue lovers and Dog Eat Dog aficionados. Yes it is 'poppy' but the lyrics are to die for. Excellent musicianship from the band, catchy hooks (and why not? Let's not be too purist about this.)
Fine stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this !, 30 Dec 2013
This review is from: Dog Eat Dog (MP3 Download)
Finally bought this. One of her best in my opinion. My favourite track is Tax free. The quality is great.

2.0 out of 5 stars The cover is great but...., 15 Aug 2012
This review is from: Dog Eat Dog (Audio CD)
I bought the vinyl when it came out. I thought it was ok for a while but whenever I've gone back to it I've not really liked it. It's the beauty of her melodies and lyrics that make me go back to her from time to time - but there's not much beauty in this album, the songs are just a little too strident, she tries too hard for a political edge. JM is better when she's subtle. Someone said here that Ladies Of The Canyon left her cold, but if I had to buy just two of her albums again they would be LotC and Hejira - I'd buy the latter for 'Amelia' alone.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love joni, 15 Feb 2005
This review is from: Dog Eat Dog (Audio CD)
Good friends is a really good song, the best on this album. It is what Joni should of done when the eighties came. What eles did people expect her to do? Folk music was not popular, jazz was more rare because this type of music was all over the place the same way singer songwriters where 15 years before this album. Although being really commercial, it still has meaning to it and plus Joni put loads of money into this but it is one of her least successful albums i don't know why

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific Album, 3 Aug 2011
Jamie Donnelly (Middlesbrough, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dog Eat Dog (Audio CD)
I never, ever, categorize this record as a "Joni Mitchell" record, as many people will, as that's how comparisons are made. Joni Mitchell proved throughout her career just how versatile she is, and if you make a comparison between this record, and something like "Blue", you are being so irrelevant.

Dog Eat Dog is a terrific album, with stunning soundscapes, lush arrangements, and truly mesmerizing vocals and songwriting from Joni, as expected.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can Joni write anything bad ?, 20 May 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Dog Eat Dog (Audio CD)
This isn't consistently the best album, but Impossible Dreamer is one of the prettiest songs to a lover ever written, while Tax Free is simply a belter of a song- a bitter attack on TV evangelists. I never like every song on any of her albums but I think Dog eat Dog is pretty good certainly better than Turbulent Indigo.

Dog Eat Dog
Dog Eat Dog by Joni Mitchell (Audio CD - 1999)