5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have for those who crave women voices
Published on 10 Feb. 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad but not great
I like the jazz arrangements but dissapointed with the vocals, but I'm hoping this will be a slow burner. Easy jazz to relax to.
Published 18 months ago by Billybob

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have for those who crave women voices, 10 Feb. 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Pop Pop (Audio CD)
"Pop pop" is not just another Rickie Lee Jones album. The combination of her peculiar, nasal, almost childish voice with the minimalism of Charlie Haden's bass and Robben Ford's acoustic nylon guitar creates a dreamy framework for an unforgettable recreation of several standards. The overall mood of the album is very intimate and light but at the same time deeply involving. Sound quality is very good, capturing both Rickie's husky voice and the space where the instruments are playing, literally transporting you to the studio where the reording was made. There are times when you _hear_ Rickie smiling while singing, such is the palpability of the recording. The album is very balanced throughout, no song is really bad. Strongly recommended : probably one of my 20 "desert island" CDs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Soothing, very mellow, laid-back listening., 17 May 2009
This review is from: Pop Pop (Audio CD)
Mellow, laid-back listening experience that will soothe your troubled soul.
Put it on and get on with whatever it is you're doing and it will be there in the background to lull you into a calmer state of mind, - unless you're feeling very depressed of course and then you'd probably do better to put on something really upbeat and jolly - but for times when you need to cool right down and be peaceful and slower paced, then this does the job.
It really is a lovely album, I'm not familiar with Ricke Lee Jones' work, apart from the song Chuck e's in Love, which I have never really liked, but this album is just sublime, and so far removed from that, to me, bland and boring song, (sorry to those who think it's great, but it's just never done it for me at all) until I heard this album I only associated her with that one song, and so glad that I have now discovered what a great repertoire she has.
If you like, mellow, soothing, laid back music, then you should love this. So buy it, you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars The old master wins on Norah Jones stakes!, 14 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Pop Pop (Audio CD)
For those of us who had felt that Norah Jones had originated a genre of classy, country-infused, jazz-touched seriously artistic songsmithery, how could we have forgotten the originator and master of the genre? Well here she is in all her tuneful glory. Thank you, the other Ms Jones!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lost for words !, 30 Nov. 2010
Handygrandad (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pop Pop (Audio CD)
Just can't get enough of this wonderful recording ! Rickie Lee Jones on sparkling form ... touching every emotion possible. I laughed along with her baby son on "Dat Dere" and on "I won't grow up". I almost cry every time she sings "My One and Only Love" and then give way on "I'll Be Seeing You"

The accompanying squeeze box and guitar is just, so, in tune with her singing and is a good example of "less is more".

Not everyone likes Rickie Lee Jones, but I defy anyone not to find something, appealing on this album ...

P.S. The album cover is fun ... ... but gives little, or no, indication of the wonderful music you will discover on the CD.

I think it's time to play it again !

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible versions of Hendrix's 'Up From The Skies' and Airplane's 'Comin Back To Me' - one of my all time favourite 'covers al, 9 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Pop Pop (Audio CD)
I always thought that 'Bye Bye Blackbird' had scope for a more imaginative adaption and this is it. Incredible versions of Hendrix's 'Up From The Skies' and Airplane's 'Comin Back To Me' - one of my all time favourite 'covers albums'!

4.0 out of 5 stars refreshing, 10 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Pop Pop (Audio CD)
Takes me back to the time I had to translate this into French for a friend, possibly the only time I have ever listened to any lyrics in my life!!

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT, 22 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Pop Pop (Audio CD)
Fantastic album from Rickie Lee Jones, one of the best ever albums she's done, Rickie never fails to deliver the best!! WONDERFUL

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad but not great, 1 Jan. 2014

Pop Pop
Pop Pop by Rickie Lee Jones (Audio CD - 2013)