5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have, 23 Nov 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Double Nickels On The Dime (Audio CD)
You could be forgiven for thinking that dozens of tracks, all coming in at around a minute in length, will sound a bit limiting after a while. Prepare to change your mind during a listen to Double Nickels on the Dime, a classic album of intelligent and dynamic post-punk from a trio of very talented musicians. Recorded live and in one take, the interplay between the guitar, bass and drums is something to behold and the Minutemen manage to carve out considerable melody on top of the angular textures. Too many stand out tracks to mention - buy it for the sheer originality of the structures and the clever, powerful playing. Never has a minute sounded so good as with these guys.

5.0 out of 5 stars CLASSIC, 16 Sep 2006
M. Baynes - See all my reviews
This review is from: Double Nickels On The Dime (Audio CD)
This is an album I have come back to again and again over the years, forgetting that one of the songs was eventually used for 'Jackass' it is a true classic that shows a band at their creative peak (a look at the sheer amount of songs on this is clue enough).

It is hard to imagine what punk fans would have made of these guys opening for bands like Black Flag in the early '80s (they were signed to punk label SST) but it is clear today that they were a band who were unafraid of messing around with their conventions and were obviously a sore thumb in a, at times, close minded scene . This album runs the gamut of musical styles ranging from groove to jazz to agro-political rock to reflective balladry to Steely Dan and it all works perfectly.

This is an album you MUST own if you consider yourself a music fan.

R.I.P D.Boon.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Definitive American Hardcore Album, 25 Sep 2002
Mr. M. L. Hawes "Mitchmusic" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Double Nickels On The Dime (Audio CD)
I think it's safe to say that the Minutemen were, without question one of the important bands of the 1980's American hardcore movement. Alongside label mates Black Flag and Husker Du, they moved American punk music on from the Ramones and Bad Brains into a new, fresh arena.
With 'Double Nickels' the Minutemen reached their absolute pinnacle. An incredible double lp (original release) bursting with one and two minute gems of political, smalltown and big city angst, it rattles along at a pace matched in it's creation.
It was recorded, as most Minutemen albums were, in unbelieveable time. It has a raw, live, but still tight, sound which many of todays garage and punk acts would die for and a breadth of songwriting that most bands can only dream of.
It's an album you can't really dissect, there are stand out tracks, like 'Corona' and 'This Aint No Picnic', but it is as a whole that this album truly works.
It is a masterpiece by any standards, but by Minutemen standards it was, simply their best.
For other reference points of that period, you may also like to check out Husker Du's 'Zen Arcade' and 'New Day Rising' and Black Flags 'My War', all very different, but equally seminal.

5.0 out of 5 stars A thing of rare and special beauty, 6 Oct 2011
Mr. J. Mccool "donkey jacket jim" (devonshire arms) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This album is so essentially beautiful that it actually makes me cry. I'm listening to it now and I have to try hard not to let the tears trickle down my face. For anybody who has ever been moved by great music, this will be a very special treat. Naturally, it is framed in the discourse of US punk circa 1984, (and boy-oh-boy were they ever so right) so you may have to leave some of your prejudices at the door and open your ears, let go of some of your fears...
And what you will hear is poetry, and three brilliant musicians not afraid to experiment and stray far from the rigidity of hardcore punk. They tried lots of different approaches to song-writing, to playing, and on the whole (the whole album that is) it worked. It worked SO well.

This is wonderful, beautiful American folk music - written, sung and played with superb heart and intelligence. This is the Minutemen. Here's to you, brothers, and here's to d. Boon.

Thank you, guys, thank you so much.

5.0 out of 5 stars What else is there to say?, 12 May 2009
This review is from: Double Nickels On The Dime (Audio CD)
I have owned this album for well over 20 years and still find moments on it that are new and exciting every listen.
It is probably pound for pound my favourite lp of all time. From the moment the engine starts to the moment the groove runs out, Double nickels takes you on a musical journey. It is pointless to try and pigeonhole the minutemen, because so many bands could be namechecked. It is a lot mellower in places than their early works but it oozes class and some of the most amazing musicianship you are ever likely to hear.
All of my friends love punk rock but few rate this album, the ones that do, i class as my "special friends." If you are lucky enough to meet someone outside your circle of friends who loves this album, you know you will have a lot in common, in music, cinema and literature.
Buy this, sit back and bask in the smugness that you are listening to something wonderful and enjoy the fact that other people must have a double nickel shaped void in their lives!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love It!, 1 Jan 2013
I can not believe after forty years of existence on this planet I have only just discovered this gem. The album has a live punch sound placing it nowhere and everywhere on our timelines. Incredible how many they have influenced in their wake. Well done lads, R.I.P Mr Boon.

5.0 out of 5 stars We don't need no badges!, 31 Oct 2009
EnglandTheGreat (Bracknell, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Double Nickels On The Dime (Audio CD)
I have this on CD and vinyl. The CD pressing had to have some tracks deleted from the original masters to fit the format. I think these were "Aint Talkin Bout Love" "Don't Look Now" "Mr Robot's Holy Orders" and two of the car jams. OK, OK, I'm sure that those were mostly dispensible, but I preferred the way the car jams separated the individual 'sides' of the vinyl record; which was Minutemen's way of doing a skit on Ummagumma. Personally, I think the sound of the entire original sounds much more cohesive with all the car jams in there. I'd recommend anyone to try to get hold of the great original.

R.I.P: D. Boon

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my all time favourites!, 29 Jun 2007
S. Birks (Oxfordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Double Nickels On The Dime (Audio CD)
Its hard to know where to start with this album but the fact that I am bothering to write this should be enough, I think the great appeal for me is that I have heard it so many times and it still sounds as good as the first listen, proabably even better, one minute my favourite track is glory of man

then cohesion then god bows to math but really I love it all!

If I had to have one record on a desert island this would be it!

5.0 out of 5 stars just a minute, 9 Aug 2009
Chris (E. Midlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Double Nickels On The Dime (Audio CD)
Many bands have the audacity to cut a double album. Few have the tunes or ideas to fill it. I'm no fan of US hardcore but this is actually one of my favourite records of all time. Punky, funky, fun, cool, intelligent, provocative: DNOTD is a one-off that I still love listening to 20 years after the event. Oh, and the front cover's ace, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must-have album, 27 July 2014
Jason M. Smith "Jaz" (Oxford UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Double Nickels On The Dime (Audio CD)
I bought this album about six years ago (yes, a late review I know) and just keep coming back to it. It's packed with great tunes, great musicianship, and superb lyrics. A must-have album for anyone interested in Californian punk rock.

Double Nickels On The Dime
Double Nickels On The Dime by Minutemen (Audio CD - 2013)