Format: Audio CDChange

VINE VOICEon 31 March 2006
This is one of those records that quite literally wrote rules. It's built around a concept that repeats through the album yet applies to none of it - a feature which has become common place in hip-hop - but that's a mere scratching of the surface. When it arrived it sounded like a spaced out gentler vision of a genre about to surrender to the harsh sounds of gangsta. In a parallel universe the people who took the De La Soul line probably reign and the gangsta groove is thought of pretty much the way the Native Tongues movement is - as an interesting side street in the world of hip-hop.
Musically this is a woozy brilliant commercial sounding masterpiece. It is the kind of rap record that people who don't really like rap can listen to. It's as crammed full of samples as "Paul's Boutique" and does pack quite a punch on the likes of "Daisy Age" and "Ghetto Thang". Oh, and it contains hits too which means it was never terribly undergrond - which isn't always such a bad thing either.
I purchased this shortly after it's release and still (after buying more music than I want to think about) return to this even now. A record thoroughly deserving it's status as a classic.
on 22 September 2006
Aah De La Soul, you've just gotta love these guys. This was their debut album, and at the time the level of Rap and Hip Hop was pretty much like it is now...full of macho male bravado.
These performers were full of Hip hop culture, but wanted FUN. There is an infectious quality to these tunes which forces you to smile. They lauded the coming of The Daisy Age, short lived but enjoyable paving the way for Arrested Development etc. but nobody topped this joint.
Producing a few golden moments: Eye Know (with Steely Dan sample and Dock of The Bay whistle), The Magic Number (Three!), Me Myself and I, Jenifa Taught Me (Jenifa, oh Jenny). Tunes that you carry round all day in your head. Wonderful, lovable, irrepressible music.
on 30 May 2002
De La Soul's albums have always changed the sound of rap biz and 3 feet high and rising is no acception. The trio from Long Island New York are def on this stunning debut using samples, quality comedy skits and clever rhymes to create a laid back groove which delivers strong messages on "say no go" and "ghetto thang".Even though this album was released 13 years ago the tracks are still as fresh and funky as the day the album was released.
The stand out cuts on this Lp are "Buddy","eye know","Potholes in my lawn" and "Plug Tunin" but two of my personal favourites are "Me Myself and i" and "The Magic Number.
The Bottom line is this is a fresh, funky and farout album a must for old skool rap fans and rap fans alike.
on 8 March 2001
There's SO many good tunes on this album, it could almost be a compilation of their best tunes rather than their first album. The running theme of a TV show provides humerous interludes & the continuation of this theme on the beginning of their second album, "De La Soul is Dead" shows they have not only thought about the tunes on the album but the actual ORGANISATION of it! AND this is only their first album! The scratching of Prince Paul combined with the vocal skills of De La Soul (with appearences from Q-Tip from Tribe & The Jungle Brothers) is a recipe for MAGIC. This album has a summer feel and is best listened to whilst chillin' with your friends with a BBQ in the background, & De La playing at a medium volume (not blaring out) with everyone drinking, toking & generally being chilled & mellow. Buy this NOW!!!
on 29 September 1999
What can I say? A real classic, any discerning hip hop fan should have this album, but so too should anyone who loves silly rhymes and great tunes - just excellent for cheering yourself up if you're having one of those days. All the best ones are here - "The Magic Number", "Me, Myself and I" as well as the excellently short and silly "A Little Bit of Soap". But best of all for cheering yourself up has to be "Tread Water".
on 13 March 2013
I was pleased to receive this cd as a present, and I listened to it whilst I was driving my parents' car a lot. When I returned home I realized that no device that I owned could play this cd due to the intrusive DRM on the cd. It wouldn't play on a laptop or in my home console and it couldn't be ripped, and I have heard it will not play on car systems which are compatible with data (MP3) cds. My parents' car is old so it worked in there. I resent DRM like this, and that is why the cd only gets a couple of stars.

Recently I have found a way to beat the DRM: Just hold down the shift key on your pc/laptop after you load the disc. I did this for thirty seconds or so. The drive makes some funny noises, and then the disc plays fine and can be ripped. Now I can actually use this cd!
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 March 2001
Do yourself a favor! Buy this disk! When did this come out? late eighties? All I know is I lost my LP to a flood. I took my brother's copy of the cassette and it has since succumbed to being played endlessly. So very glad am I to see this disk once again available, I am buying it immediately. This has foolishly gone out of print in the US.
But to the matter of the content of the album. Exceedingly clever lyrics. GREAT beats, social commentary and responsible messages.
Unlike anything else you have in your CD collection. Even subsequent De La Soul albums.
It's at a great price, too... even with the exchange rate.... buy it Buy It BUY IT!
You will be thankful.
on 1 May 2014
I was 16 back in '89 when 'Three feet high and rising' took to the airwaves; at the time there was a real sense of change and experimentation in music, the rediscovery of the 60's was a template for most of the decent music being produced , the reinvention of indie with the likes of Spacemen 3, Stone Roses and Happy Mondays, and across the pond, it was no different in Hip Hop - away with 2Dimensional rap and the emergence of conscious acts with Public Enemy and beatnic sounds from De La Soul and the 'native tongues' concept delivered by Posdunous, Trugoy , Mase & other acts like the Jungle Brothers, A Tribe called Quest, Monie Love and Latifah...."Black medallions, no gold." It was a breath of fresh air then and still is now, there is not a duff track to be seen here, but stand outs for me are "Can u keep a secret?", "Transmitting live from Mars", "Say No Go", "Plug Tunin'", "Buddy", "Me, myself and I", and "This is a recording 4 Living In a Fulltime Era" (L.I.F.E)- classic records such as 'Three feet...', 'People's instinctive travels...', 'Low End Theory' and 'Fear of a Black Planet' took me into the next decade and it was a special time for my generation. I am not ashamed to say this but they don't make music like this like they used to.....
on 30 December 2009
The most unique hip hop album you will ever listen to, while N.W.A. were making ultra-violent gangsta rap and Public Enemy were making politically charged attacks on the man De La Soul were making happiness and a new D.A.I.S.Y (Da Inner Sound Y'all) age with this legendary collection of innovative and intricate songs. The use of sampling is stunning, where else could Peg by Steely dan fit in perfectly with a rap song? Eye Know is the only place I know where such a thing can be found (it also makes great use of a horn lick from Sly and the Family Stone) and, technical talk aside, it's a gorgeous song even in its own right; a straight up love song in a rap album? Who'd have thunk it? And it fits in, there's not a bum note in the whole thing and the air of unending wit and happiness seeps into your mind and infects you with it's sense of mischief for days on end. An album of classics, that still sounds fresh 20 years on.
on 21 June 2008
Don't get me wrong-I'm predominantly New Wave/Indie but I remember De La Soul for making infectious,catchy tunes and there are many on this album.Whenever I need a lift I play this-it is quite simply impossible not to enjoy.I'm listening now after a couple (or so!) beers and I'm grinning from ear to ear.
Fantastic.Buy It.