5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely great - but you had to have been there
...I mean that I saw them live back in '95 and bought the CD too.
It is great emotional hardcore/metal/rock that gets stuck in your head.
Great singing (even though I prefer whisky soaked vocals) and crunching guitars.
I love hardcore music like Stigmata, No Innocent Victim, Ryker's but this is something out of the ordinary and refers to my first sentence.
Published 24 months ago by Nils Daniel Kaas

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star
Same as the skid row dvd did not recieve
Published 4 months ago by micky claridge

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely great - but you had to have been there, 26 Dec 2012
Nils Daniel Kaas (Copenhagen, Denmark) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ugly (Audio CD)
...I mean that I saw them live back in '95 and bought the CD too.
It is great emotional hardcore/metal/rock that gets stuck in your head.

5.0 out of 5 stars Touched by the hand of genius, 3 Dec 2002
This review is from: Ugly (Audio CD)
This is quite simply a phenomenonally good album, you don’t need me to go on about it. Suffice to say, some very average but strangely successful bands (Stain’d to mention one) would sell their mothers to be able to write an album that blends hard rock with emotional content as seamlessly as this does. The first three songs (Season, I Regret, Lost At 22) are amongst the best emo-rock songs ever recorded, whilst Unstable is simply heartbreaking. An absolute must, and if you can track down the limited edition tin of the album, it’s worth the effort for the bonus songs, including a cover of Bob Marley’s Redemption Song.

5.0 out of 5 stars A rock-hard slab of bruising Metal-core., 18 Nov 1999
This review is from: Ugly (Audio CD)
After the bleak, hardcore-infuenced debut album "River Runs Red", Life of Agony have returned and tweaked their sound a little bit, although they still haven't cheered up! "Ugly" sees the band leaving behind their suicidal teenage years and entering the world of adulthood. The songs all reflect the feelings of fear, confusion and anger that we have all felt at one time, and this is where Life of Agony excel - managing to put these feelings into words and music and saying what we would all like to say. "Lost At 22" and the title track both deal with being unable to conform to society, while "How It Would Be" sees vocalist Keith Caputo open his heart about his mother's death and giving what will probably be the vocal performance of his career. Also included is a cover of Simple Mind's "Don't You Forget About Me" which sees the band turn an upbeat pop song into a depressing whine. Music to kill people to - Fantastic!

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, 9 Aug 2014
Same as the skid row dvd did not recieve

5.0 out of 5 stars Ugly, 25 July 2005
Calum Fairweather "ccalumf" (Huntly, Aberdeenshire, Scotland, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ugly (Audio CD)
LOA's second offering UGLY, released in 1995, shows a very positive LOA indeed, Keith Caputo has improved his vocals on this superbly and the music is just spellbounding to the ear, and don't forget the lyrics have improved and make more sense than the lyrics on RIVER RUNS RED.

"Seasons" is a very great classic first song, lyrics,vocals and music all equally superb, written by Keith Caputo, un-negatively the best song he's written ever, great riffage by Joey Z, "Father's lost in the mountains, but no mountain I can't see...". "I Regret" has a great chorus, but I like Alan's songs better than Keith's. Both very great starters.

"Lost At 22" is all about Alan's midlife crisis, quite good riffage and drumming, "If I knew how to fly, I knew how to fly away...". "Other Side Of The River" is a good song, great riffage again, good lyricism by Alan again, "Well my world would be over...". "Let's Pretend" is a very good song, which is based on Keith's mom. Quite sad, but bright. The title song is good, but the best bit is when Keith sings very fast.

"Drained" has a brilliant start and end,and again I just can't resist complimenting Joey Z's riffage, Keith's vocals are good on this aswell. "How It Would Be" is the saddest song I've ever heard from Keith, it's again based on his mom, "I wonder how it would be if my mother was still around...". "Unstable" has good riffage in the chorus and in parts, "Damned If I Do" has a good chorus, 'nough said!

"Don't You (Forget About Me)" is a great cover song, Keith's vocals are performed to the limit on this song, "Will you walk away..." is a good bit. Throughout this unique album there is great riffage, vocals, lyrics and music from all LOA members. Buy this album NOW!

~ Calum Fairweather (LOA fan)

Ugly
Ugly by Life Of Agony (Audio CD - 2000)