Format: Audio CD|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 20 November 2006
Like most "Best of" collections, this one should rather be entitled "A Representative Selection of". It's not that the tracks are bad, but there are others that have a far better claim to inclusion.

This compilation does have one unique distinction, however: it contains three (3) tracks from the band's second album, Selected Jigs Reels and Songs, which has never been issued on CD, and as I understand never will be, because the master tapes have been lost!

I transferred my LP to CD long ago; but unless you can do the same, or if you want CD audio quality, then the only way you can get these tracks is to buy the present album!

The tracks concerned are:

The Flowers of Spring/Jackie Small's Jig
The Banks of the Quay/Crucaharan Cross
O'Carolan's Draught

The last-named in particular really does belong on a "Best of".
on 10 February 2009
I suppose to be fair this "best of" was released some time ago but even so the selection of songs and tunes would not have been my choice and I doubt if it would have been the bands either. The cover is nice but there are no details of the source albums,the frequently changed line-up nor any biographical detail at all. It's a real "Bargain Bin" job in fact. Dedanann are in the very top drawer of Irish bands. Like the Chieftains they have continually evolved the music and taken it to quite other levels whilst never losing the essential roots. I suggest finding, borrowing or stealing as many of their albums as can be found and forgetting this "best Of" altogether.
on 28 April 2003
During a recent visit to Ireland, it rained but doesn't it always I hear you say. Well on this particular day it RAINED...
Then it happened. The most beautiful voice I have ever heard floated across the studio and suddenly I was in love with Eleanor Shanley's voice. A voice that could lift the mist from the mountains and encourage the sun to shine. It was fabulous.
We spoke to Malachy Kearns the owner and maker of the famous Riverdance bodhrans who introduced to De Dannan and we came away with a copy of Half Set in Harlem, which we played constantly in the car for the rest of the holiday.
Back here I've had trouble getting a copy of the Best of De Dannan but however long it took it was worth it.
Enjoy like me one of the most famous traditional Irish groups of recent past whose ever changing membership has inspired others and created solo careers for many of them.
Fabulous fiddle playing, exquisite harmonies and oozing with the flavour of Guinness not to mention the excellent Bodhran playing.
It's great - buy it.
on 22 April 2012
This is fine music, but it's about time we had a proper retrospective of De Danann using up-to-date remastering technology.
This particular release is short measure and poorly mastered, sounding dim and low level, as if from third or fourth generation tapes.
Run it through a spectrum analysis (like Audacity's) and you can see how 'dull' it is!
A better sounding 'collection' is Star Spangled Molly which also has the plums: 'Maggie' and 'My Irish Molly' - though that is also LP measure and not CD length! It reappears as Collection
Both overpriced, I fear.
on 31 December 2015
Enjoyable listening good delivery time
on 19 August 2014