5.0 out of 5 stars Energetic Collection
This is an examplary "best of". It's amazing how much zing and energy comes out without drums and bass. I particularly like the way they play a song or tune and segue/zip into something else. I think this is one of the best folk records around and a superb introduction to the band. Anyone who likes Irish music will be impressed.
Published on 29 Aug 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars A gift
Bought as a gift, they said thank-you and have never complained since, so they are probably happy with it.
Published 3 months ago by Mr. T. E. Short

5.0 out of 5 stars Energetic Collection, 29 Aug 2001
By A Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful folk from real masters of Irish music, 8 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Planxty Collection (Audio CD)
What a stunning collection of tracks from one of the most celebrated exponents of Irish music. Each track is a gem but for me the two exceptional stand out tracks are: ' The Lakes of Pontchartrain' and the achingly beautiful ' As I Roved Out'. If your into folk music then this disc has to be part of your collection until you are able to buy each individual CD. Some of Irish folk music's finest moments without doubt.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exhilarating, 23 Sep 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The Planxty Collection (Audio CD)
My daughter (hip hop, trance) used to ask me to play this on my CD when I took her home from School. I lost it for a couple of months because her mate (bass guitar in a heavy metal band) borrowed it and didn't want to give it back. And apart from some nifty bodhran in the background there isn't a drum or amplifier in sight. Yet this Irish folk music rocks so much in places that by the end I'm more wound up than listening to Led Zep and I punch the air as though Man Utd have just scored their seventh goal against Arsenal. Typically the music builds up with the uillean pipes pitching in to create a climax. The tunes are exciting and played with such gusto that I really have to bounce along. The percussive feeling is maintained by the strings - mandolin, bouzouki, guitar. Whistle trills excitably over the top of the whole thing. The singing isn't brilliant so I tend to give the couple of slow ballads a miss. I think this is a perfect crossover CD. It is authentic Irish folk music but will be enjoyed by a much wider audience (such as my daughter and her mates)

5.0 out of 5 stars Replacement of a missing CD - so identical and what I expected., 23 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Planxty Collection (Audio CD)
Replacement of a lost CD (lost at home) - It is identical and therefore what I expected. Very happy with it. Lovet he music of Planxty.

3.0 out of 5 stars A gift, 7 Sep 2014
Mr. T. E. Short "Cruiser" (SW France) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 4 Oct 2014
A. Hamill (Belfast, N. Ireland United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Planxty Collection (Audio CD)
An amazing collection of tunes. The Hare in the corn is wonderful. Listen to this music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sounds as good as ever, 24 Jan 2014
Johnny D (Oxfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Planxty Collection (Audio CD)
I bought this album as an LP many moons ago but have been unable to play it for ages as I no longer have a turntable. Whilst rummaging through my old LPs I came across the album and decided to see if it was available on CD. I've now received the CD and have played it non-stop several times. This is Irish folk music by some of its greatest exponents, all in their prime. It sounds as fresh and energetic as when I first heard it. My particular favourites are Raggle Taggle Gypsy, As I Roved Out and Cliffs of Dooneen - but they're all great. In the words of the girl who stood weeping in the foyer of the Shaftesbury Theatre, realising that this was Planxty's final tour, "We'll never see their like again".

The Planxty Collection
The Planxty Collection by Planxty (Audio CD - 2000)
Click for more info
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available