Format: Audio CD|Change

on 22 December 2011
It's taken me over 20 years to reacquire this gem on cd but it certainly was worth it. There are only 2 criticisms which one can level at this work. Firstly it hasn't been remastered, and I'm sure it would benefit from a sympathetic and technically proficient engineer's work. Secondly, as with all Planxty's albums, the cd "booklet" is minimalist -no lyrics- no photos-etc....The music however is another story. This is part of the absolute peak of the Irish "folk" output of the 1970s. The singing courtesy of Andy Irvine and Christy Moore is flawless, and their musicianship combined with Donal Lunny and Liam O'Flynn is equally brilliant. An essential album in my view
VINE VOICEon 8 November 2001
I first heard this album on vinyl over 25 years ago and I am delighted that it is available on CD. In my opinion, it represents the very best of the Planxty years and still vibrates with musical passion and dexterity. It is an essential addition to any folk collection for fans of Irish music.
on 17 November 2013
I remember buying this when I was nobutt a lass. It was my first album by Planxty and I loved it. I still love their sound and was lucky enough to see Andy Irvine live a few years ago. That was very special as I don't live in a large town and so get few chances to hear live performances.
on 31 January 2008
If you are at all interested in Irish music and don't know where to start then this album is for you. The members of Planxty read like a who's who of Irish folk music.

I heard this album almost 30 years ago and when the whole band kick into the third track starting with 'The Kid On The Mountain' it never fails to get my foot tapping.

This album is like the Irish 'Dark Side Of The Moon'..everyone should own a copy.
on 17 September 2008
This album must be thirty years old or more. But, what does that matter? A lot of the songs are older than that by far, the haunting title track for example. The interplay of the musicians, especially on the instrumentals is intricate and all of them are at the top of their game. This is timeless music and a timeless recording. Give your ears a treat, then go and buy the live reunion CD to hear that they still have it.
on 10 May 2013
a cracking album from the masters of irish music. every track is great but just love the pipe tracks. id love to go to Ireland to hear this stuff live. but I cant afford it! shame. if you like irish folk music this is THE album to buy. enjoy!
on 26 May 2016
Excellent, authentic Irish music beautifully played - takes you out of the daily grind to another place. If you like folk music at all, you'll love this.
on 23 September 2013
Would like more info on line with details of the tracks on the CD prior to purchase. It would guide purchases, however, Planxty are wonderful.
on 7 July 2014
Great CD and has all the tracks on from the original record plus bonus.
on 12 February 2015