Format: Audio CD|Change

While Kenny Rogers (of whom I am also a huge fan) was dominating the commercial aspect of country music with songs such as The Gambler and She believes in me, Hank was doing things his way, just as he always has done since he left MGM, with his unique blend of country, rock and blues. Of course, plenty of others have blended these three, including Elvis in the fifties, but Hank's blend is very much his own.
On this album, the my favorite tracks (but not by much) are the title track, Women I've never had and a brilliant duet with Waylon Jennings, The conversation, about Hank's father. There's also a great revival of White lightning, which was written by the Big Bopper but provided George Jones with a top ten American pop hit. Hank's cover is very different from George's but I love them both. Hank also does an excellent cover of Gregg Allman's Come and go blues.
Considering that Hank never did things the Nashville way, it is perhaps surprising that he had as much success as he did - but the quality of his albums, including this one, ensure that he deserved all the success that he had.
on 26 May 2015
Not. very exciting.Nothing that stands out ,ordinary.
on 9 December 2014
Excellent
on 2 January 2013
I have been a fan of Hank J'r for a while now,and I am sure that anyone who likes Country music with a touch of rock and
who listens to this album, will become a fan too.