Format: Audio CD|Change

on 5 November 2002
This disc is already well known in the business as being a performance of some individuality, as it has a Gramaphone award. However, I feel that with this recording, there is something that is difficult to define, an un-quantifiable aspect of performance that is very rare. Ms Mordkovitch manages to evoke all the emotions of this music within the listener. We have fear, anger, irony and even humour within her playing, every colour and timbre is extracted from the violin. Her sound is tremendous; she pushes her violin so much that at times the result can be almost unbearable. Yet it is exactly what this music demands, and for me, this is the most satisfying performance I have heard on disc so far. In particular the first concerto, the cadenza flys past us, her choice of tempi throughout is on the daring side. matters of technique are irrelevant here, as it is how she uses her technique in the music. in short it is phenominal. I have a number of her recordings, I would also recomend her reading of the prokofiev concerti, and a boxed set of violin sonatas. on occasions in these cds, her intonation can faulter; however, the excitement and emotion that she puts into her performances cover up such blemishes. I highly recommend this recording, from a star of the Soviet era.
on 9 March 2013
Shostakovich at the best. I have many recordings of Shostakovich Violin Concertos. Next to Oistrakh is this recording my favourite. Mordkovitch has the right feeling of these two masterpieces and Järvi is following up. The sound is also at it's best. Highly recommended. Look up for their recording of Prokofiev's Concertos as well.
Trond. Shetland,
on 21 February 2008
Shostakovich's first violin concerto must be one of the greatest violin concertos. There is bite and aggression; furthermore, it deeply resonates with the utter bleakness and sadness of life in the 20th century for those under communist rule. This is a piece to be seen and heard in the concert hall but if you can't do that, well this is a very good recording indeed. The second violin concerto is not in the same league.
on 22 April 2016
Great item, great service, many thanks