5.0 out of 5 stars Astonishing music and musicianship for such silly titles....
I just bought the CD version of this after not hearing it for a few years since my turntable expired... Well, all I can say is WOW!! I had forgotten just how good this album is.
The reviewers below all hit the nail on the head with their selections of 'must hear' songs from this collection but for what it is worth there are a few other highlights I'd add to their...
Published on 23 Feb. 2005 by Music-lover

3.0 out of 5 stars i heard a different one before!
I bought this double CD a few years ago, but have only just listened to it, after it re-emerged after a house move!
I'm a little disappointed actually, because this album is totally different to the version I heard some 30 years ago!
The one I remember was much funnier, and also wierder somehow. This version has more long meandering solos,
and the songs...
Published 5 months ago by Aardvark

3.0 out of 5 stars i heard a different one before!, 3 Dec. 2014
and the songs seem different. The one I remember had more vocal content and I seem to also remember something
about a talking blow-up doll that Joe is pluking. The general idea is the same - music is bad, but, once again, the album I remember is different and much better. And there's no song with people speaking German, if I recall correctly.

So, buy this album, as it's brilliant Zappa, but there's a better version out there!

If you can shed any light on what I'm on about, please do, as it looks as though there are loads of different versions
of this album, and I have no idea which one it is that I must have heard in the first place. Help!!

5.0 out of 5 stars His last great work before the 80's got the better of him, 3 Jan. 2015
Still not my favourite Zappa by far but what else can you give but 5 stars. His last great work before the 80's got the better of him. As for the (re) mastering: way better sound then my 90's cd version (I don't know how the Ryko version sounds though, not all the 2012 masters differ in sound, some sound as perfect as they probably ever gonna get on 16-44.1 but some albums seem to have the same sound quality as Ryko: please read the article on the new masters for a full list of what to get on: http://www.lukpac.org/~handmade/patio/vinylvscds/2012hotpoop.html

5.0 out of 5 stars joes garage, 2 Feb. 2013
If there is one thing that sticks out about Frank Zappa for me is that he was undoubtably unique. NO ONE could create and produce anything like this. Diffarent? that would be putting it mildly.

4.0 out of 5 stars must have for Zappa collection, 19 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Joe's Garage Acts I-III (Audio CD)
I like Zappa. But I dont want to have all his records. Sometimes it can be too lenghty.... too much.
This record starts brilliant. But he could do that for 3 lp's long (at that time). At the end this album always looses my attention.
But ok, the first album is enough to rate it as must have in your Zappa collection. Good recording also!

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost Justifies Double-Album Status, 3 Sept. 2010
Mr. E. W. Wallace (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Joe's Garage Acts I-III (Audio CD)
'The Wall'. 'The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway'. 'Tales from Topographic Oceans'. All three of these records are double-albums which have in common a length unjustifiable by way of consistency. Frank Zappa's 'Joe's Garage' is longer than all of the aforementioned albums. It too is not perfect throughout. However, the album does come close to excellency throughout the entirety of its near two-hour length, and it would be appropriate here to highlight its strengths, as well as its weaknesses.

Almost inevitably, there are going to be points where the 115 minute long album lags. The tracks 'Lucille Has Messed My Mind Up' and 'Sy-Borg' could both be shortened; the latter needing at least three minutes chopped off. I can take or leave much of the album's guitar-solo dominated third act - aside from the masterful Packard Goose - because it is not, at least to my mind, anywhere near as interesting as 'Shut Up & Play 'Yer Guitar', Zappa's triple-album guitar-solo showcase. 'Joe's Garage' is at its best when it is advancing the album's concept; which, in Zappa's uniquely satirical style, seeks to explain why authorities would deem music so dangerous as to be made illegal. Songs like 'Catholic Girls', 'Why Does Hurt When I Pee', 'Stick It Out' and the title-track successfully combine storytelling with stunning musicianship, with Vinnie Colaiuta's masterful drumming being a particular highlight. Although the album's lyrical content is frequently rather crude, often the case with much of Zappa's 1970s musical output, it is still frequently amusing, while managing to keep the album's concept firmly in mind.

The first disc is one of Zappa's triumphs, with music and lyrics both supporting one another to ensure a glorious whole. The second disc, where the music comes to the forefront, is not as successful. Zappa was capable of writing splendid instrumental material, with 'The Grand Wazoo', 'Hot Rats' and even 'Jazz From Hell' highlighting his rare talents as both musician and composer, but these albums are generally devoted to the music. I feel Zappa was at his weakest when he tried to combine lyrical concepts with his musical ones, while simultaneously allowing one or the other to 'fall out of sight', as it were. 'He Used To Cut The Grass' highlights this very well: the concept of the album largely disappears here, while the music is not capable of sustaining one's interest. 'Packard Goose' pays even less attention to the album's storyline, but is redeemed for having a number of splendid musical themes throughout, played with sublimity by one of Zappa's invariably talented backing bands.

Therefore, while the album is not wholly interesting in lyrical, conceptual, or musical terms, it is masterful in at least any one of these sections for most of its length. At times, it is masterful in all three. Most bands fail to reach such heights in even one of these fields, and Zappa did not manage to achieve excellency or consistency in all three throughout his marvellous career. This album, by contrast, is one of Zappa's greatest achievements, and therefore deserves a high 4. If looking for an introduction to Frank Zappa, it is unlikely that you will regret buying this album. If unsure at first, all I can say is 'Stick It Out'!.

5.0 out of 5 stars not to mention brief intervals of great guitar playing and what a, 3 Aug. 2014
George R. Tod "Ricardo" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
Still a classic example of why humour does belong in music ....not to mention brief intervals of great guitar playing and what a line-up

5.0 out of 5 stars Vintage Zappa, 15 Feb. 2015
The first Joe's garage is the best of them, but all vintage Zappa

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 30 Mar. 2015
Graham A. Sparling (scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Joe's Garage Acts I-III (Audio CD)
classic album,humour and zappa can play the guitar

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic, 25 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Joe's Garage Acts I-III (Audio CD)
An acquired taste for many, but imho, the best Zappa (experimental) rock opera

I'm sure in the US the CD will have "Parental Warning - Explicit Lyrics" slapped all over the case

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 18 Jan. 2015
Excellent tunes. Worth every penny.

Joe's Garage Acts I-III
Joe's Garage Acts I-III by Frank Zappa (Audio CD - 2006)