1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Exquisite and touching chords, 9 May 2009
fallingforstars (West Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silent Pool (Audio CD)
Although a great fan of mainstream jazz I am ashamed to admit that the music of Marian McPartland had until now escaped my attention. But now, to put the record straight, what a wonderful discovery. While the likes of the great Oscar Peterson will astound you with a veritable stampede of chords and top-handing, McPartland is quite the opposite...at least on this offering and after reading the sleeve notes there is no reason to think that her introspective and poignant approach is any different on other albums. Once in a while an album comes along which has something different to say and has the capacity to touch us deeply and influence our core feelings...this, I feel, is one such album. The sleeve notes say everything about this most gifted of writers and performers - "She knows, as too few of us do, the healing power of just a chord, or some evocative melodic fragment, played no louder than a whisper." Although an album which could be enjoyed as background music to a fine meal, which does not demean it in any way, its true stature will be realised when listened to on its own. A truly stunning work with depth of feeling supported by great orchestration from Alan Broadbent. This album from 1997 will probably be a hard act to follow but now that I've experienced the musicianship of Marian McPartland I'm eager to discover other delights from her albums, of which there are many. Maybe I'll find similar magic that is on display in the "Silent Pool". An accomplished work.

Silent Pool
Silent Pool by Harold Jones (Audio CD - 1997)