1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique interpretations of Cole Porter songs, 12 Mar 2003
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Easy To Love - The Songs of Cole Porter (Audio CD)
Susannah established a reputation for singing songs from the Great American Songbook in her own way. This is never more evident than on this collection of songs written by Cole Porter. Of course, the first thing you notice is the song selection - a typical mix of famous and obscure. It would have been interesting to hear Susannah sing I get a kick out of you, to name one of many obvious songs not included, but instead we get Weren't we fools and Why don't we try staying home - two very obscure but delightful songs that I'd never heard before.
Many of the song will be familiar to you in some form. Night and day is a song that Susannah originally sang part of for a commercial. After it was shown on TV, people wanted to buy her version of the song, so here it is. Anything goes is given an octet arrangement in ¾ time. Just one of those things and It's all right with me are cleverly linked in a medley. Other famous songs to be found here include Easy to love, Let's do it and Ev'ry time we say goodbye.
Susannah recorded many excellent albums before committing suicide. I have all the available original albums and I enjoy them all. For anybody new to Susannah's music, this is a good one to start with, because it contains so many familiar songs, so you can get a sense of how her versions differ from those you've heard before.

Easy To Love - The Songs of Cole Porter
Easy To Love - The Songs of Cole Porter by Susannah McCorkle (Audio CD - 1996)