5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely love it!
I have just bought an inexpensive used copy of this CD. When it arrived the tatty condition of the cover and booklet plus Julian Steven's 3 stars only review made me wonder what I was in for. I need not have worried - this is a superb CD, definitely equal to 'Discovered Again' and 'Mountain Dance'. 5 stars for me.

Julian sums it up well with his comments...
Published 9 months ago by Oldromola

3.0 out of 5 stars Mostly quality stuff
Pretty much what it says on the tin ~ Uncle Dave's 1991 take on a selection of classic George Gershwin tunes, superbly arranged and produced (by DG), though the DDD recording is, to my ears, rather on the rough side, highlighted by the sax and clarinet passages.

Published on 25 May 2009 by Julian Stevens

3.0 out of 5 stars Mostly quality stuff, 25 May 2009
Julian Stevens (BRISTOL, UK United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gershwin Collection (Audio CD)

First class support is provided by a selection of LA's finest, amongst them Chick Corea & brother Don (keyboards), Lee Ritenour (guitars), Gary Burton (vibes), Eddie Daniels (clarinet as well as sax), John Patitucci (acoustic and electric bass) and Dave Weckl (playing drums rather less flashily than usual). Who wouldn't give their eye teeth for a band like that on their record? Dave Grusin, of course, doesn't have to.

Musically, this is a fine intro to George Gershwin's music for someone like me who loves so many of Dave Grusin's albums but who probably wouldn't bother buying an album of Gershwin tunes unless it was a Dave Grusin project. There's only one track I don't like (I've Got Plenty of Nuthin') is a bit frantic and includes some (in this context) unwelcome electronic keyboards. But jettison that and the rest is an enjoyable set that warrants warm recommendendation, though the rough sound quality is a bit of a liability.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely love it!, 4 Oct 2013
This review is from: Gershwin Collection (Audio CD)

Julian sums it up well with his comments regarding the legendary line up. I agree with him entirely on that score, but I think he must have been unlucky with his copy if he found the recording to be on the rough side. Mine sounds warm and sunny, with the tone of Eddie Daniels' clarinet in track 2 'Soon' just right in my opinion. (I might add I am a grade 6 clarinetist!) I liked the one track that Julian didn't, but I didn't much care for the rather severe track 7 'My Man's gone Now'. It was a nice touch to include a Gershwin piano roll at the very beginning.

I have just purchased a second inexpensive copy of this CD from an Amazon seller at a cost of 2.75 including postage. Even if the cover, booklet and jewel case are tatty, I know the music will be magical. Get yourself one while they're so cheap!

Gershwin Collection
Gershwin Collection by Dave Grusin (Audio CD - 1991)