5.0 out of 5 stars Taj Mahal, wonder of the world
Can`t believe I`m the first (at least on this side of the Atlantic) to review this magnificent album by one of the most eclectic, mischievous singers of soul-blues, and all-round ambassadors for great roots music.
Published 11 months ago by GlynLuke

3.0 out of 5 stars senor has a bad day
Published 1 month ago by david handy ( a mackem )

5.0 out of 5 stars Taj Mahal, wonder of the world, 21 Sep 2013
GlynLuke (York UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Senor Blues (Audio CD)
This 52-minute thirteen-track album from 1997 opens with one of the most joyous performances I have ever heard of any kind of song anywhere. Queen Bee is nearly five minutes of quintessential Taj Mahal - roguishly gruff, bluesy, melodic, soulful as ever, emotionally open, in short a stone delight. The arrangement - especially the splendidly jaunty stop-start percussion! -sparkles and taps its musical toes so infectiously I can imagine it has induced many a wallflower onto the world`s dance-floors.
I`m damned if I`m going to go through every track, and anyway, there`s no need: this is uplifting, joyful, soulful, ultimately unclassifiable music that would cause a corpse to get up and do the bop!
Alright, a few highlights:
Irresistible You simmers and sizzles, and has a killer sax solo.
Think is a righteously good cover of a soul classic.
Having A Real Bad Day a slow none-too-serious litany of complaints from Taj about the less than acceptable day he`s having to endure (along with a fine piano solo).
21st Century Gypsy Singin` Lover Man is as enjoyable as it sounds, and he finishes with a short and sweet cover of Otis`s tremendous Mr Pitiful.
Who wouldn`t love Taj Mahal! This is a great record. It fits most moods, would wake you up in the morning or soothe you at night, would complement your lovemaking, or be just the ticket afterwards...

Massively recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars senor has a bad day, 13 July 2014
This review is from: Senor Blues (Audio CD)
I bought this album because it had won a Grammy and I won't be doing that again . It starts with the tremendous syncopation of Queen Bee and then runs downhill at an alarming rate of knots . I can see no point in Taj doing Horace Silver when I can go to my shelves and have Horace on his own or Robert Cray on his own and have much more fun either way . Disappointing and not a patch on his earlier stuff .

Senor Blues
Senor Blues by Taj Mahal (Audio CD - 1997)