Published 23 months ago by NeilM68

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm...
Yes it's a good book, but it wears a bit thin quite rapidly. I didn't finish it completely, but the concept of all these anecdotes is a good one. Allowed me to pin point the Croydon Greyhound gig that I went to that blew my ear drums in right at the back of the hall near the open window behind the curtains!!!
Published 2 months ago by Conehead

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars "Get off your seat, get on your feet and put your hands together for the best band in the f****in' world!", 23 Sep 2012
This review is from: Thick as Thieves: Personal Situations with The Jam (Paperback)
The inimitable intro of the late John Weller that ignited the fury that followed. An unforgettable experience for anybody who ever attended these gigs and this book captures that spirit, emotion, energy wonderfully through the memories of the fans who where there. What has struck me most is just how similar the experiences and feelings were among the fans. At the time I thought this was "my" band, an absolute obsession, studying sleeve notes, tracks played to death, hitting play record - with often poor timing - on the cassette to capture any TV/Radio appearance, all four bedroom walls plastered in any image I could find of the band, Jam button badges on the school tie, first trip from south coast to the big City to buy the bowling shoes that Weller was wearing, Monday lunchtimes sneaking out of school to go buy the new single, and the BIG deal; a new album. But of course it was not "my" band it was "our' band and this book reunites that generation wonderfully. This is no nostalgia trip, it is a reminder that the events and experiences of this period of early teenage life and the impact the band had on you has made you who you are today. The debt of gratitude we have to Weller in particular for kicking us up the arse and telling us never to accept the humdrum, always to fight for what you believe to be right,never give up; and as was ultimately the reason for the bands demise; always move on and go out knowing you did as much as you could.

Unfortunately, my passion was not met by the funds to support it - the weekly financial consolidation of a paper round @ 3.50 a week, school dinner money and the occasional pocket money - so I missed so much and this book, as great as it is, has reminded me of that. Nevertheless, I got to see the band 4 times, including the last time they ever played together on 11/12/82 in Brighton and, as was common place, @ approx 3.00pm a rear door of the Brighton Centre opened and all the kids waiting for glimpse of the band to arrive for soundcheck were let in to the venue by John Weller. I among about 30 other kids stood watching, open mouthed I guess, our heroes sound check ("Move On Up" the only track I can remember) on the day that had already been declared the last time The Jam would ever play together. The only means of recalling this astonishing experience - a failing memory in a 40 something year old head; no camera (you were out on your ear if you took a camera into a venue in those days), no camera phone!

This band genuinely changed my life, if you were there it changed yours too; but you already know that.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Gem, 20 Sep 2012
If you have any interest in popular culture, musical heritage and the trio that crafted some of the finest singles from the 70's and 80's then this book is an essential purchase. The great thing about this book is that it features the thoughts of fans as well as those close to the band, some brilliant unreleased photo's and really takes this 40 something back to the excitement and exhilaration felt as a teenager, waiting for them to appear on TOTP, Saturday morning visits to Woolworths to pick up the single, hoping that one of your mates older brothers would take you along to one of their gigs. Reading this made me release that there were hundreds of kids my age in cities across the country thinking and doing the same as me. That's why this book is different to your normal band biography - it seeks to get beyond the usual 'band form, tour, get famous, split up' level.
If you in your 40's or older, go and buy this, remember how exciting it used to be. If you're younger, go and buy it to see just what you missed.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Number 1 in our Hearts...., 20 Sep 2012
Great book on the "Best band in the F****** World" Produced by the Fans for the Fans... An insiders view into what being a Teenage Jam obsessive felt like from the people that were actually there! Somehow, The Jam are often brushed aside in Retrospectives of music of the late 70's, early 80's (what? The Poilce were the UK's biggest band in the early 80's - really!?) this book gives passionate fan recollections of just how much The Jam meant to them during the peak of Thatcher's autocratic Divide and Rule demolition of Britain...

There are also some great contributions from people who worked closely with the band, from Bill Smith - the record sleeve designer, to Tracie Young, who sang back up on the band's final single 'Beat Surrender' and made an appearance on their final Top of The Pop's appearance, as the record went straight in the charts at Number 1...

Brilliantly designed, with many unseen Fan Photos and pictures of memorabilia, the authors have put together a fantastic tome for anyone who wants to remind themselves of just what a great 'People's Band' The Jam were (not that many need reminding)

As Paul Weller states in the Foreward (All 3 Jam Band member's make contributions)... "it amazes me to see that there were many Jam fans that were just 12, 13..." Well I was one of them, and luckily saw the Jam live 30 years ago, aged just 14, twice in that final year of 1982, beofre they split up for good, ... they mean as much to me now, as they did to me then!

BUY IT!!

"the best book on The Jam and It's audience I've ever seen!" Paul Weller September 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading for all Jam fans, 29 Sep 2012
As a teenager in the late 70s/early 80s I was an obsessive Jam fan and even now, as a middle aged man, its never really left me.The parka is gathering dust in the cupboard under the stairs and the Fred Perry shirts seem to be a bit tighter these days but some things never change; the Fab Three will always have a special place in my heart.I quite liked the Style Council and the solo Weller has had his moments but first and foremost its The Jam. Just as The Beatles and Paul McCartney are not the same thing, so it is for me with The Jam and Weller. I'd say this book is absolutely indispensible for anyone with anything more than a casual interest in The Jam. I thought I knew everything there was to know about the band but in fact I learned a lot more from Thick as Thieves. I'm also pleased that Rick and Bruce feature prominently in it; too often The Jam is presented as Paul Weller and two other blokes; in reality all true fans know that the band would just not have been the same without Rick and Bruce and I always like to see them being given the credit they deserve for being the rhythm section powering the most important British band since the Beatles.

5.0 out of 5 stars `Thick As Thieves'? You're Not (Saturday) Kidding...., 21 Sep 2012
Passion? Energy? Loyalty To Fans? Commitment? Loved 35 years on? Qualities certainly possessed by The Jam, arguably the finest UK band of their generation.
I was very lucky. I saw the Jam three times in early 1977. Over the next five years they became the biggest group in the UK, with myriad number one records, sell out tours etc., as well as having a huge influence on clothing and on wider youth culture. One of the things that made them so special was the bond they developed with their fans, creating a genuine soundtrack for so many lives.
What Stu Deabill and Ian Snowball have done is to take this obvious love of the band and turn it into the superb, unique and unputdownable book that is "Thick As Thieves - Personal Situations with The Jam", but with a brilliant twist. Rather than take the traditional form of historic narrative by unengaged hired journalist with a few quotes from band associates, the book is a series of genuine and heartfelt reminiscences from dozens of true fans, who saw the band live, bought their records and watched them on TV.
The powers of recall from over 45's are to be admired (showing, I guess, how much the band and what they stood for meant) and there are some great, hitherto untold, stories. Bunking into gigs, memories of favourite records, near riots in North Wales, following them round the country for days on end, chance encounters with the band - all are covered, as are so many other aspects of life for devotees. What this vox pop approach does so well is let the passion and love for the band shine through. Very few groups evoke the sort of loyalty and affection that stands the test of time a generation later.
It isn't just the fans who contribute, though. Rick Buckler, Bruce Foxton, Tracie Young, record company people, record producers, tour crew and a number of other people who worked with the band also make contributions. To top it off, there is a foreword from Paul Weller himself, endorsing the link between band and fan and praising fan passion and commitment.
Among the host of photos and memorabilia (the layout and design are really impressive) are some absolutely cracking unseen photos taken by fans, which show just how accessible Paul Weller, Bruce Foxton and Rick Buckler were to their devotees - manager John Weller comes out particularly well. There are stories in the book about fans being invited back stage and onto the tour bus itself, a recognition of loyalty that was (and is) all too rare.
Over 45? You'll remember why the band were so important and want to buy this book.
Under 45? If you've anything about you, you'll know some of The Jam's music.
Buy this book and find out why Woking's finest were (and still are) so important to so many people.

4.0 out of 5 stars A must for the Jam family, 31 May 2013
Honestly i never thought i would have bought a book written by a compilation of fans of a band, but the Jam were not a band like any other. That's why 30 years later we are still looking for the missing tracks, the unreleased demos, the bootleg dvds and cd's, the photos we haven't seen before. When i went to see Weller solo in 1990 just after the council split, he was at a real low, but standing in the queue waiting to go in I met a whole load of harcore jam fans who proceeded to talk for an hour about Jam gigs and going backstage and getting in to soundchecks. I felt part of a family in a way that i never had before. This group of fans were not there in this strength at the style council gigs, but in 1990 we all seemed to come back together and Weller came onstage with his Jam haircut and one of his old Jam shirts, and he banged out 4 Jam tracks and the whole place went nuts. That was 8 years after the band had split, but the torch was still burning. I went to over 100 gigs of many bands but i never experienced anything quite like that before or after. So i understand this book and the people who write in it. What I came away with more than anything was what a tower of strength John Weller was and how respectful of the fans he was.If ever there was a 4th member of any band it was John Weller with the Jam. Of course i came away wanting more, and wishing there were more photos and more setlists and more from Paul, Bruce and Rick than the brief comment you get. But ultimately it is a book for fans by fans, so as long as you know this and accept it, then it is a beautiful trip back to a time when we were young and used to fall in love with everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thick as Thieves - Yes we were!, 6 Oct 2012
C. Butcher "katieb" (kent uk) - See all my reviews
If you grew up as a fan of The Jam then you just need to buy this. Full stop. If you didn't then buy it anyway and educate yourself about real music, played by real musicians who captured a sound, an image, attitude, and a fan base that I don't think we'll see again. To be a Jam fan was a way of life, you lived it with every ounce of your being. The Jam changed my life, I wasn't a mod, nor did I want to belong to some gang or cult. But they turned me on to the heady mix of politics and good music at a very early age(I was 14 when I first saw them at the Rainbow in November 1980)and from that moment on I was hooked. Weller's lyrics swayed and shaped me, and became the soundtrack to my teenage years and ultimately shaped the views I still hold today. And what wouldn't I give to be 'down the front' trying to breathe, listening to 'Liza Radley' or leaping around to 'When you're Young'?? If you've been there, you'll know what I mean :)

To the authors- congrats on a blinding book. You have done something here which is rare, as rare as the whole 'family feel' which surrounded The Jam. You captured a moment in time and a feeling, a feeling of being instantly catapulted back 30 years or so, to those heady days. With every page and every anecdote I have read so far, it's like looking at thousands of kids just like me circa 1977-1982. I think you have touched on something very special, which i don't think we'll see the likes of again, thank you for writing this book x

5.0 out of 5 stars the best ********** band in the world!, 20 Sep 2012
This book is just about a close to experiencing what it was like growing up with the Jam as you can get. I was lucky enough to have seen the band 14 times and I can honestly say that reading these stories of how they impacted on others lives has made me understand that I wasn't the only kid to be hooked!
A must read for any 70's or 80's Saturday kid!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Jam - Forever in our hearts, 20 Sep 2012
Its hard to explain the feeling you got when The Jam released a new single or album. The excitement to get down the record shop, to tune in to the Top 40, to play it over and over inc the b side and then the excited discussion with your mates. The Jam meant EVERYTHING to so many of us - and we meant everything to The Jam - if ever there was a peoples band it was them. Which brings us to Thick as Thieves.... Put together by the fans for the fans and ringingly endorsed by Paul Weller himself. Do you need any other review now to consider buying it ?? Nah thought not. Great pics of one of the last truly great English bands. They don't make em like The Jam anymore. Forever in our hearts .....

5.0 out of 5 stars Zero disappointment, 9 Mar 2013
Mark Byrne (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
If you're a fan of The Jam, then you'll love this book. Some excellent recollections and brilliant photographs. Ah yes... takes me right back!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Thick as Thieves: Personal Situations with The Jam
Thick as Thieves: Personal Situations with The Jam by Ian Snowball (Paperback - 20 Sep 2012)
9.09