4.0 out of 5 stars shows what you can't see
a dip into the mystic world of macro insects that are easily missed and harder to identify.!! after looking through this guide am know looking for things that i never knew existed !
Published 8 months ago by survivor

2.0 out of 5 stars Ok bok but not a fieldguide
I bought this book to bring it with me on my holiday, so I can get pointers of what species I might find. However this book was not exactly what I was hoping it to be, I think I will leave it home. Bad photos take it down a notch, and I get the feeling that it only presents a very limited picture of the whole variation of insects.
Published on 29 April 2012 by Tiina Greig

2.0 out of 5 stars Ok bok but not a fieldguide, 29 April 2012

4.0 out of 5 stars shows what you can't see, 9 Feb 2014

2.0 out of 5 stars Too general, 20 Jun 2013
This review is from: Fascinating Insects of Southeast Asia (Paperback)
Married to a SE Asian, I'm a biologist inclined towards entomology so may be considered a miserable old git. However, I often buy insect books on tropical insects to further my knowledge. Obviously anyone who expects a slim volume like this to cover even a fraction of the ground that the (now ancient) volumes of A.Seitz did for the Lepidoptera (butterfles and moths) is naive. Showing genuine examples of the major groups is fraught with danger as these may well not be typical of that group as a whole, while (as here) simply delving as deep as a family or genus does little to enlighten the reader bewildered by the (bewildering) variety of insects on the planet, especially in tropical regions. The information given would make a good general lecture series on insects as a whole. As to the illustrations, there are far too many flash photos (I could forgive those taken in the depths of a rainforest) and some of the insects look as though they had been staged, as was the tendency in the insect books of the 1950s: this may be an illusion, I admit. Overall, as an "old hand", I was disappointed in this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars book, 9 April 2013
This review is from: Fascinating Insects of Southeast Asia (Paperback)
Very interesting book we have a whole libary of animal and insect books from all over the world and this one adds to that library and is a great asset on this subject matter

Fascinating Insects of Southeast Asia
Fascinating Insects of Southeast Asia by L.E.O Braack (Paperback - 15 Nov 2010)
Out of stock