5.0 out of 5 stars Too beautiful, 13 May 2011
Parka (Singapore) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Length:: 1:01 Mins

Too beautiful. That's how I would describe this book.

Venice Sketchbook is one of the series of watercolour sketchbook from Fabrice Moireau, a lover of architecture and gardens.

The book was originally released in French and translated to English. I actually bought the French version and upon seeing how much text there is in the book, I promptly ordered the English edition.

It's a 96-page hardcover published by Editions Didier Millet. The reproduction of the paintings is excellent. The paper has a watercolour paper texture to it, but much softer. It's almost like looking at the actual paintings.

The watercolour paintings are wonderful and charming, and they are printed huge. Together with the captions, they perfectly captures the mood of being in Venice. You can see the details of architecture, the weathering effect on the buildings, Venetians at work, and the lesser known areas hidden from tourists.

Fabrice Moireau's watercolour style seems really controlled. You don't see colours crossing over pencil lines. That really makes me think of how much masking he does to achieve to prevent colours from overlapping. It's not like he doesn't overlap, he just doesn't overlap the colours when there's a change in form, like for two buildings.

Other than the captions, there are also plenty of text describing the various places in Venice, and the history behind. It's very well researched and interesting to read.

This is a terrific travel journal.

I highly recommend this book, and all his other books.

(There are more pictures of the book on my blog. Just visit my Amazon profile for the link.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb book, 3 Nov 2010
Casper (Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
Venice is one of my favourite cities. Fabrice Moireau has captured the colours of the buildings perfectly. I love this book, and fully intend to obtain a second copy and frame a few of my favourite pages so I can see them all of the time. If you love Venice you'll love this book. A perfect present for all lovers of La Serenissima.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality, 18 Mar 2012
This review is from: Venice Sketchbook (Sketchbooks) (Hardcover)
Just been reading and looking at this book with my son. It is one of the best quality books, if not the best, I have EVER come across. The sketches are produced in a very high quality way and the paper is almost "art" quality. I am really suprised, since the price is quite accessible.

We will buy more of this series, for sure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Down memory lane, 8 Feb 2011
What a truly delghtful production. Such artistic skill is breathtaking. It brings back so many happy memories of frequent visits in the past. As an amateur watercolourist myself I have tried to capture some of the images portrayed,not with nearly the same artistic flair. A great buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Venice Sketchbook I purchased as a present for a friend., 7 Jan 2013
This review is from: Venice Sketchbook (Sketchbooks) (Hardcover)
The sketches are beautiful and a unique way of seeing the glories of Venice. Anyone who has visited Venice will love it and those of you who have not, it will convince you it is time to go and visit this wonderful and unforgettable city.

5.0 out of 5 stars Venice, 23 Mar 2013
Edwin Underhill (Near London, UK) - See all my reviews
A superb sketchbook of Venice that captures the fascination of Venice just as much as brilliant photographs of Venice so a must.

5.0 out of 5 stars Knockout., 14 Feb 2013
Mr. B. J. Walker "Bookman" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Venice Sketchbook (Sketchbooks) (Hardcover)
Great sketchbook full of wonderful colour sketches of Venice. I shall start saving and visit this city before I depart this mortal coil taking this book with me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Venice sketchbook, 14 Jan 2014
June Darby "SUPERGRAN" (NORFOLK,UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Venice Sketchbook (Sketchbooks) (Hardcover)
Excellent book, reminds me of my visit to Venice and encouraged me to take up watercolours myself and wonder at the beautiful buildings again, good reminder

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful!, 10 Aug 2014
This review is from: Venice Sketchbook (Sketchbooks) (Hardcover)
A great-looking boook and a pleasure to hold and read. Use it as a guidebook if you're planning to visit, or as a souvenir after you've been. Beautiful!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 27 Dec 2014
No comment

Venice Sketchbook (Sketchbooks)
Venice Sketchbook (Sketchbooks) by Deborah Howard (Hardcover - 18 Oct 2004)