4.0 out of 5 stars Thumbs up!
Right, first things first. I'm a native speaker so know what I'm talking about here :)

Published on 26 Jan. 2011 by Cookie

3.0 out of 5 stars Not entirely helpful Finnish phrasebook
Bought this in advance of my holiday. I only attempted one sentence in Finnish, and mispronounced it. The guide to pronunciation makes things more complicated than they are, I feel. Also, any reply to a question in Finnish, will inevitably be in Finnish, chances are leaving you stumped.

I think a Finnish-English dictionary is a more useful purchase.
Published on 27 July 2009 by Philoctetes

4.0 out of 5 stars Thumbs up!, 26 Jan. 2011
Cookie (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Berlitz: Finnish Phrase Book & Dictionary (Berlitz Phrasebooks) (Paperback)

My boyfriend got this recently in order to brush up on his (non-existent) Finnish skills. However, this is a phrase book (as the previous reviewer mentioned) and if you are looking to learn Finnish it won't really help you. It is good if you go for a holiday to Finland and want to learn a few phrases, or a few key words.

The book is divided in colour-coded sections - there is a short dictionary at the back, some basic expressions at the front, and the mid-sections relate to phrases useful for travelling, food, shopping etc. There are also some cultural snippets, which I found pretty accurate.

The pronounciation guides are fine, and accurate, but the language is very difficult for English people to pronounce so don't despair if people can't understand you. Effort is obviously always appreciated, but you might find that most Finns in the cities speak English anyway (some better and some worse), so you might not actually even need the book. Good to have it at hand though, just in case!

4.0 out of 5 stars Finnish Phrasebook, 12 Dec. 2011
C. King-cherne "cazkc" (Meopham) - See all my reviews
This phrasebook contains a good selection of phrases that could be useful in different situations.

The downside for me was that although there are guidelines on pronunciation, Finnish is so different to English that you really need to hear the phrases said. Fortunately my host's English was far superior to my Finnish.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not entirely helpful Finnish phrasebook, 27 July 2009
Philoctetes (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

I think a Finnish-English dictionary is a more useful purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Learn Finnish, 23 Jun. 2013
Another very useful volume and a good size for travelling. Has an excellent selection of useful phrases and information to help you during your visit.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's not WHAT you say it's the WAY you say it, 26 July 2011
At quite short notice I found myself booked to fly to Helsinki for a friends wedding. Having no clue about the Finnish language, other than it's very difficult. I searched Amazon for the excellent Lonely Planet guide books. Sadly, they don't currently have a Finnish version so after a quick read of reviews I bought the Berlitz book. As ever, Amazon were fast and efficient and when I first flicked through the book the enormity of the challenge hit me. But I figured with the phonetic option I might be able to get by.

At the hotel I said "Hei" which the clerk took to mean "Hi" so spoke to me in English. Same in any shops. In fact English is pretty much the 2nd language so everyone below about 50 can speak perfect English. But it's an error/oversight in the book to use "Hei" as a greeting as no one seems to use it. As is the absence of "moi moi" an informal friendly greeting. Which then confused a girl working in a bar into thinking I could speak Finnish. Thankfully my utter blank look when she replied in Finnish gave me away.

Some of my new Finnish (and Swedish) friends were confused by my attempts at murdering their language. So they took a look at the book. All of them from their 20s to their 60s said the same thing. The pronounciations in the book are not very good. They aren't getting you to say the vowels in the right way. And it seems that if you get a "A" sound instead of a "U" sound (Hak v Huk for example) people genuinely don't understand you.

I suspect that part of this is my own problem. I can just about get buy with French and German because they work in a similar fashion to our own language. Finland, and I suspect a lot of Scandinavia is too different to try and pick up from a phrase book. You'd need to actually hear the words to be able to begin to learn. I'm glad I had it with me as it helped on a few occassions to have the english/finnish dictionary in the back. But I'm not sure it will teach you to speak Finnish.

4.0 out of 5 stars Book, 9 July 2013
Was very useful for the first night in Finland - but then we left it behind in a restaurant - difficult language

Berlitz: Finnish Phrase Book & Dictionary (Berlitz Phrasebooks)
Berlitz: Finnish Phrase Book & Dictionary (Berlitz Phrasebooks) by Inc. Berlitz International (Paperback - 13 Aug. 2008)
Used & New from: £3.25