5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use Japanese-English and English-Japanese dictionary
Published on 3 Jun 2009 by Louis

3.0 out of 5 stars Berlitz Japanese Concise/English dictionary.
For me too much use of the English language! Having previously lived in Japan for 25years, the kanji and hiragana/katakana can be seen everywhere in your daily life. The ove-ruse of English could well retard progress.
Published 16 months ago by KASH

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use Japanese-English and English-Japanese dictionary, 3 Jun 2009
This review is from: Berlitz Language: Japanese Concise Dictionary: Japanese-English, English-Japanese (Berlitz Concise Dictionary) (Paperback)
As well as giving Japanese translations, this dictionary shows the words in Romanji, thus making the word easy to pronounce and is great for beginners to get a grip of the language. Importantly, there is a Joyo Kanji, Hiragana and Katakana table to help the reader understand and pronounce Japanese letters. Its shows colloquialisms and also has a section for exercises and for phrases. Very useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use for beginners, 7 Jan 2010
A. Ward (Birmingham, England) - See all my reviews
I bought this after trying to decide between the Berlitz and Oxford dictionaries, and went for this one based on the reviews. I have only been studying Japanese for a little over three months now and I have found this easy to navigate and use. The romaji makes it much easier for me as I have only grasped hiragana and some katakana so far, and the text book I am currently using for my course is mostly romaji. This is a good companion to my studies and once I get started on kanji it looks like it will help me further (it has a helpful kanji list at the beginning). Overall I'm very pleased with this dictionary and I'm glad I chose it over the Oxford.

3.0 out of 5 stars Berlitz Japanese Concise/English dictionary., 24 Mar 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Good basic dictionary, 27 Jan 2013
Construction quality of the dictionary is very good, with its plasticised (wipe clean) cover I'm sure it will be a useful tool for years to come. Some words seem to be missing, or maybe that's my inexperience with Japanese language. The dictionary, as a beginners tool, would benefit immensely from an expaned reference section (eg days of the week, months, telling the time).

Very happy with the purchase, certianly seems to cover a wider range of words than my Android translator App.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb dictionary! I'm very happy!, 22 May 2012
This is a superb dictionary. I think it would be suitable for all levels of study. It is in romaji and kanji, no furigana/kana. This is most def the best Japanese paper dictionary I've encountered in Europe with up-to-date concise words/some set modern expressions.It's got good quality paper. This is one of those dictionaries where I find a word and I always get the meaning I wanted first time (Those who are learning Japanese will know what I mean!). Totally hassle-free.I said Good bye to the "beginner's Japanese Dictionary" & "Kodansha's Jap/Eng - Eng/Jap" dictonaries ever since I got this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great little reference book, 20 Mar 2012
Handily-sized, and more than just a very good concise dictionary, as it gives tips and examples of how to use various words and expressions, and useful advice on how to conduct and express oneself in best, in order not to give offence unintentionally in business and social situations. My Japanese wife was favourably impressed.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT!!, 4 May 2011
Even my japanese wife is amazied at just how good this is. A must have for any student of japanese.

3.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating product!, 14 Feb 2011
For anyone starting out learning Japanese, this dictionary is decent enough for the relatively small price you will pay. However, the shortcomings of the dictionary become apparent all too soon, especially for those looking to learn kanji, for which this dictionary is of little use. Not only is the dictionary not symmetrical (that is, some terms which appear in one half of the dictionary, inexplicably, do not appear in the other half translated the other way), which is annoying enough, but also the dictionary will often represent Japanese words in hiragana when a kanji would more commonly be used.

All in all, this dictionary is fairly handy for learning to speak Japanese, but for attempting to learn Japanese in its entirety, this dictionary soon frustrates.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good basic dictionary, 22 July 2010
Covers a great range of vocabulary that occurs in normal life.
Would be better if it used kana instead of romaji, though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I wanted, 22 Feb 2010
Denis Dyer (Scotland) - See all my reviews
I read the reviews for this dictionary and the oxford one. To be honest I was going to go for the oxford one as first choice. But after the reviews I plonked for this one. It's fantastic. Excellent quality which will last a while. And exceptionally well set out, everythings in a logical order. Anything I've tried to find is found in seconds and is clear and concise. I'm using it in conjunction with the rosetta stone japanese software. And this dictionary is a life saver. The first half is Japanese to english, set out in romanji (our alphabet) so it's easy to find what you're looking for. The second half is English to Japanese. Cant say anything negative about it at all, just wish I'd bought it sooner