4.0 out of 5 stars Great teaching book
I am an Arabic teacher and am using this book for a one to one course. I find it covers everything I need to teach a comprehensive beginners course. It covers reading, writing, speaking and listening. Overall a very good coursebook but it does assume students are familiar with the Arabic alphabet and the instructions are in Arabic.
Published on 3 Dec 2009 by S. Khalil

2.0 out of 5 stars You may discover too late that the course needs a teacher!
Only after buying this book together with the whole series I discovered that YOU CAN MAKE LITTLE USE OF IT WITHOUT A TEACHER. This is stated by the author in the book itself, but when you have the book in your hands it's already too late. Why this is not clearly indicated by AMAZON in the book presentation?
Published on 5 Feb 2010 by Carlo Barbieri

2.0 out of 5 stars You may discover too late that the course needs a teacher!, 5 Feb 2010
Carlo Barbieri (Italy) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kallimni 'Arabi Bishweesh: A Beginners' Course in Spoken Egyptian Arabic 1 (Paperback)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great teaching book, 3 Dec 2009
S. Khalil (UK) - See all my reviews

2.0 out of 5 stars Kallimni Arabi Bishweesh, 22 Aug 2012
Not suitable for students. It should be clearly stated especially because the author is a teacher of such a prestigious insitution as the American University in Cairo.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of it's kind, 25 Aug 2009
G. S. Clarke "gsc" (Derbyshire) - See all my reviews
A previous reviewer slated this book and I can understand that - if you are not prepared to learn to read and write in script. However they were quite wrong saying it is a book for teachers only. It is aimed at students but clearly is best used in a class where you have some guidance.

That said - I am doing mine at home alone but there is plenty of help in forums and so on.

I have already done both Michel Thomas (good for understanding) and Pimsleur (good for talking) audio courses and found this a great place to continue albeit a somewhat daunting task having to totally embrace reading and writing in script.

It is however untrue that there is no transliteration in the series. The place to start is Kallini Arabi Bishweesh where the earlier work is repeated in transliteration and this is gradually withdrawn as the book goes on.

It will always be painfully slow for someone new to script but if you intend to do it, it's a good way to get immersed in it.

For the feint hearted, Kullu Tamam teaches a similar format but is transliterated. Might a good idea to dip into both if you find it a bit heavy going till you can read script reasonably well.

I have bought all 5 in the series and think they are a great investment for those who are seriously wishing to learn.

If anyone is unsure, feel free to email me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing series if used at the right point in your learning, 28 Oct 2010
I'm currently half way through Kallimni 'Arabi Mazboot working without a teacher, and I'm really pleased with it and the whole series. Every so often there's something I have to clarify with an Arabic speaking friend (grammar exercises mostly, and sometimes I wish that all the vocab in the book was in the dictionary in the back - it'd really help) but on the whole this is a great book, which recycles vocabulary and grammar in a very well structured, incremental way through well designed dialogues (using different accents, which is a bonus). For my money, this is by far the best Egyptian Arabic course because it introduces grammar and vocab in context, using and then reusing it in increasingly complex situations, rather than the using old style approach of giving enormous lists of vocab and overly-complex grammar explanations followed by random out of context exercises (as if knowing a rule in theory would somehow magically unlock the ability to communicate in a language - e.g. the dreadful 'Kullu Tamam'). I've tried out all the Egyptian Arabic textbooks I can get my hands on and so far this is the most up to date and intuitive in terms of teaching method at this level and the only one that is part of a complete course of books. I can't wait to get to the next book (and then I'm going to try the 'Arabi Liblib series, which I've got on preorder for when it comes out... really hoping it's going to help fill in the gap after the end of the Kallimni 'Arabi series)

P.S. If anyone's just starting out Egyptian Arabic from scratch without a teacher and trying to work out which books to go for, I can recommend combining the brilliant 'Colloquial Arabic of Egypt' by Jane Wightwick and Mahmoud Gaafar with the audio-based 'Pimsleur Egyptian Arabic' course. 'Colloquial Arabic of Egypt' explained all the basics (of grammar particularly) extremely clearly and in English script (so I could tackle the extra barrier of learning a new script once I'd got my communicative confidence up and running - worked really well) while the Pimsleur Egyptian Arabic course got me speaking and gave me a feel for the language and pronunciation that was hard to get in any other way as a beginner. NB Pimsleur also has a very clever way of teaching reading the script which is second to none and v. quick - this was how I learned and I hardly noticed it. When I wanted to learn to write I used 'Mastering Arabic Script' by Jane Wightwick, which gave loads of space for practice etc. Switching over to the Kallimni 'Arabi course at this stage was great for me. Everybody's different but hope this is helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Satisfied, 13 Jan 2013
Well packed item (book in a plastic wrap + large enveloppe), shipped within delays. Description faithful to the product, good quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 26 Jun 2009
W. Marsh - See all my reviews
An excellent book if you are able to already read the Arabic script. Highly recommended!

Kallimni 'Arabi Bishweesh: A Beginners' Course in Spoken Egyptian Arabic 1