5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensable!
Published on 5 Sep 2007 by Hannah T

3.0 out of 5 stars OK- but there are better books out there!
I moved to the great metropolis that is London City a while ago and prior to moving purchased this book. In fairness the premise of the book to act as a 'complete residents guide' is laudable and alas there are all too many guides for the tourist in London and far too few for the new residents.

This book more than whetted my appetite for the move- the photos...
Published on 12 Dec 2010 by Ed Foye

5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensable!, 5 Sep 2007
This review is from: London Complete Residents' Guide (Paperback)
What a great book! I've lived in London for four years and know the city pretty well already, but this book has got so much information on making the most of living here that I wish I had a copy when I moved here. The chapters on joining clubs and doing activities, and the ones on shopping and going out, add a whole new level to your social life. Seems like a great new range of titles too - next time I move, I know where to turn. Thanks Explorer!

4.0 out of 5 stars An eye opener, 26 Sep 2009
This review is from: London Complete Residents' Guide (Paperback)
As a recent addition to the melting pot of culture that is London, I'm finding this book invaluable in focusing my exploration of the city. I've come to appreciate the transport system (yes, I said it!) and how easy it is to experience something new every weekend. If you are new to the city and are a bit overwhelmed by the sheer enormity of it all, this is the book for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent guide, not just for London, 18 Feb 2009
Guro Bergan (Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: London Complete Residents' Guide (Paperback)
When I moved to a little town in the Midlands, I decided to buy this book to help me get started. Although it's made primarily for people who move to London, a lot of the contents actually apply to the whole of the UK!

Thanks to this book, I have now registered my car that I brought with me, I understand how the health systems works, and I have registered with a GP. Makes it all a whole lot easier...

3.0 out of 5 stars OK- but there are better books out there!, 12 Dec 2010
This review is from: London Complete Residents' Guide (Paperback)

This book more than whetted my appetite for the move- the photos are great, there are lots of maps, and tonnes of website addresses. There's also a really excellent chapter on activities in London and lists activities as diverse as American football to writing classes. There's also quite a good chapter on shopping. These are all well and good but to really survive in a city requires more than just maps, activities and shopping. This book was alot softer on very practical stuff like registering with a general practitioner, opening a bank account (amazing amounts of paperwork if you are from outside the UK), the council tax system, and even use of the underground and the vagaries of the oyster card. As for activities and reports on individual parts of the city- Time Out London 18th edition was pretty good and probably better.

Still, all in all, this is a worthwhile book to own but be advised its not that 'complete'.

London Complete Residents' Guide
London Complete Residents' Guide by Explorer Publishing (Paperback - 15 April 2007)
10.96