5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious Inspiration for the Elders

1.0 out of 5 stars An expats' review of Tastes Like Home
Published on 2 Jun 2011 by Ellen Drew

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious Inspiration for the Elders, 8 Jun 2013
This review is from: Tastes Like Home: My Caribbean Cookbook (Paperback)
My Mum bought this from Amazon as a gift for me. The photographs are rich and colorful, encouraging me to cook something almost every day for one month! Cynthia's conversational style is an invitation to the table. She really knows how to describe variations on one recipe, island hopping from one to another - famous patty and pastry being one example. The steps are easy to follow - very detailed for beginners. Cynthia's tips whether it's how to use leftover rice , or the ideal temperature for eggs and butter are graphically appealing, breaking up the text. Mum made recipes and sent out family texts when the food was ready. The food gets her telling beautiful texture rich stories of her childhood in Guyana. When I made fried fish (p206) Mum's story of how she gobbled a stack of the stuff that was planned for market the following day had me laughing. "Tastes just like it did in Guyana" some 60 plus years ago. Cynthia includes a lot of Guyanese cooking - inspiration for Mum to go into storytelling tradition. This is a book for family bonding.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful taste of home cooking, 5 Dec 2012
A. Eastman Owhoka (Walthamstow, London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tastes Like Home: My Caribbean Cookbook (Paperback)
This book is great for second generation cooks like myself who don't always have the instinctive way of cooking that many of our elders do. Having said that I have bought four copies so far and gifted them to both novice and experienced cooks alike. They have all been delighted.

5.0 out of 5 stars Taste like the Caribbean, 18 Nov 2012
This review is from: Tastes Like Home: My Caribbean Cookbook (Paperback)
This is an excellent book, with a large number of traditional recipes. It retains a part of the Caribbean culture.

5.0 out of 5 stars cookbook, 5 July 2014
This review is from: Tastes Like Home: My Caribbean Cookbook (Paperback)
good carribean cookbook i can't wait to try out the recipes

1.0 out of 5 stars An expats' review of Tastes Like Home, 2 Jun 2011
This review is from: Tastes Like Home: My Caribbean Cookbook (Paperback)
For some weeks now I've been dithering, unable to decide whether to review "Tastes Like Home" by Cynthia Nelson for my book column in Trinidad Newsday or check out the recipes and write it up for my Wednesday food column in the same newspaper. In fact I've been putting off writing a review because I knew (and know) some Newsday readers are going to disagree with my views on this book.

From which you'll realise that whoever would like my review copy is welcome to it because, in my estimation, it is neither fish, flesh, fowl nor good red herring.

The first 90 pages are devoted to a "food memoir" of, among other things, the author's reminiscences of home (Guyana), salt fish -- which gives me the shudders, lyrical descriptions of okra, eggplant (melongene for local readers), plantains, conkies, bakes and, finally (but not least) An Acquired Taste, Karaili -- that, having tasted some more than once, I have no desire to acquire.

Notwithstanding my views on this book the young ladies in local bookstores have told me it was "flying off the shelves". Well, as an elegant coffee table book I can understand why one would buy it. But as a cookbook, I wouldn't give you the proverbial tuppence for it because whoever heard of a cookbook that lists the ingredients on one page and the methods, directions for cooking overleaf? Especially with a book as large and heavy as this one?

Then, while my native home is the land of Steak and Kidney Pie, Roast Beef and Yorkshire puddings, kippers, real Cheddar, Wensleydale and other good cheeses and Brussel sprouts (have you ever tried roasting them?) Victoria sponge cakes and English Trifles, I've lived in the Caribbean for over 50 years -- long enough to appreciate the Jamaican Watchman (rice and peas -- that are really red kidney beans), Callalloo, Pelau, and that oh, so fattening, heart-threatening but delicious Oil Down, the classic Flying Fish of Barbados, Doubles...

However, I searched through "Tastes Like Home" in vain for recipes for my favourite Caribbean dishes; presumably Cynthia Nelson thought those Caribbean specialities were so well known as not to need inclusion in her book.

Did I check out any of the recipes in this book? I did try one and wasn't impressed with the result; as for more of the rest either they were too peppery for my taste or of the ones that interested me I reckoned them to be a threat to my waistline and/or arteries.

But there you are, you may find this book a treasure house of old-time favourites and don't mind turning over pages while you cook. I hope those of you who bought, or have yet to buy "Tastes Like Home" by Cynthia Nelson find it more useful than I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Younger days at home:, 28 Mar 2011
This review is from: Tastes Like Home: My Caribbean Cookbook (Paperback)
This book of recipes is well written and and not too stuffy. I enjoyed just looking through it and reading the witty comments. It definitely reminds me of home and my young days. I remember eating most of those foods with great enjoyment. I will be making a few of them for my family especially the younger generation.

Tastes Like Home: My Caribbean Cookbook
Tastes Like Home: My Caribbean Cookbook by Cynthia Nelson (Paperback - 18 Feb 2010)