5.0 out of 5 stars mmmmmm yummy, 6 Jun 2008
Craig R. Hodge "horrible_hodge" (Penicuik Scotland) - See all my reviews
I'm not Jamaican I'm Scottish. My best friend however is of Jamaican parentage. Now she doesn't cook Jamaican food on the whole. But she had heard that this book was great. So I went ahead and bought a couple of copies for us both. I've probably cooked more Jamaican than her now!

Oh boy. Oh boy, oh boy, mmmmm tasty, tasty food! I would make one slight point though. Some of the recipes are not quite that easy to do. Only because the author presumes too much of you. I personally would prefer a more step by step guide. There appears to be steps missing in some of the recipes. But they're not that bad that you can't work them out. And the results are fantastic.

Now I'm not a huge fan of over spicy food. But I made "Jerk Chicken" and overnight I became a convert. For that one recipe the book is well worth the money. Yeah it's hot, hot, hot. But my mouth tingled, it didn't burn. It actually tingled with joy.

Plus you get a bit of cultural history as well. And a background to the recipes and their names as well.

Mince & Tatties are the staple dish of Scotland. Don't get me wrong I love good old stodgy Scottish food. But Jamaican food is so tasty, & colourful. And if you are Scottish just look at the Cake section. It's got Scotland written all over it!

Seriously you don't have to be Black to enjoy this book. Even the Auld Troll wants to borrow the book of me. So she can make some of the soups. Jamaican food is the best! It's the bees pyjamas!

Any Jamaicans out there want to adopt a skinny wee Scottish Boy?

5.0 out of 5 stars The real taste of Jamaica, 12 Sep 2003
Mr. C. C. Peart "thechef247" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Real Taste of Jamaica (Paperback)
This book is a must for all who want to learn to cook the wonderful dishes of Jamaica. My parents are from Jamaica and I know how to cook some Jamaican dishes, but this book will improve and show you many more dishes from the wonderful island.
Well only my mother is better and we all say that.

4.0 out of 5 stars You can now cook Jamaican style!!, 12 Dec 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: The Real Taste of Jamaica (Paperback)
The moment you pick up this book, with its very appealing cover, you can taste the flavours that will engulf your taste buds.
With it's clear and easy to follow recipies you can recreate all the wonders of a recent holiday or the food that mum used to make. The measurements are in cups and Oz. The pictures are clear and give you an idea of what you should be aiming for. Invite friends around to sample your dishes, but give the credit to Enid. This is definitely one for the shopping basket.

4.0 out of 5 stars A must in a Jamaican household for the next generation, 22 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Real Taste of Jamaica (Paperback)
Jamaican cooking is a passed down skill and most kids today dont cook but love mum and dads, grans, auntys Jamaican cooking. Great book to get them started and keep the tradition going so it doesnt die out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Real Jamaican Cuisine - I Love it, 30 Aug 2012
Lady B W (Oxford, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Real Taste of Jamaica (Paperback)
Received my book way ahead of schedule. I've already tried a few of the recipes - certainly got that good old Jamaican flavor. The variety of recipes offered are excellent. For anyone who loves Jamaican cuisine this book is a MUST have. I will definately recommend this one. I am really pleased with the purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars The real taste of jamaica, 17 Aug 2012
This review is from: The Real Taste of Jamaica (Paperback)
An amazing book!!! I first lent this book off an old friend who brought it back from Jamaica. The recipies are so simple to follow.
The first thing i made was bread and butter pudding!!! It went faster than the time it took me to make it!!! I added coconut rum, a cheaper make of malibu, it was wonderful and portion size are large too so for a change there is a little left over for an uninvited friend that pops by. This is a special book, shows you how to make all the little extras too, like festivals and dumpling, sauces, dips and drinks too. Just wished i lived closer to the city to buy all the fresh ingredience i need!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Real Taste of Jamaica, 10 Oct 2009
This review is from: The Real Taste of Jamaica (Paperback)
this ia a really nice cook book. If you are looking for real west indian recepie. cooking like your grandmother use to do. I'm enjoying.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE Jamaican cookbook, 30 April 2011
This review is from: The Real Taste of Jamaica (Paperback)
This is an old-fashioned type of cookbook by our spoilt modern standards but on the recipe front, boy does it deliver!
I love Levi Roots cookbooks because they are modern and exciting but to me this is THE Jamaican food bible.
It has all the traditional Jamaican recipes you could wish for: jerks of course but also curried goat, ackee and saltfish, codfish fritters, Johnny cakes, patties, bullas, spice buns...You name it... All of these recipes are clearly explained and absolutely delicious, nothing fancy, just good, clear instructions to get you there. My in-laws are Jamaican and last time, they asked for my recipe for spice bun, the best they had had in years ( Blush, blush...), now what does that tell you? OK they might have just wanted to be pleasant guests but just to give you an idea of how good the book is, there are actually 4 recipes for Easter spice bun to choose from : baking soda, baking powder, yeast and stout...Brilliant!

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth trying!, 4 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Real Taste of Jamaica (Paperback)
This book shows us all that Jamaican food is unique and delicious. Having spent lots of time in Jamaica and the last 45 or so years in the company of Jamaican people, I can vouch for the authenticity of some of the recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars good, 6 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Real Taste of Jamaica (Paperback)
Love the product was as described perfect condition, good cultural learning and authentic recipes . Excellent quality. nice selection of dishes would recommend, happy with purchase. Speedy delivery.

The Real Taste of Jamaica
The Real Taste of Jamaica by Enid Donaldson (Paperback - 30 July 2001)
9.77