5.0 out of 5 stars Easily the most balanced commentary around
David Stern writes for messianic believers but this commentary is easily the most balanced available and is suitable for those Christians who wish to understand the context of our faith.
Published on 11 Dec 1999

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a very good commentary
This book concentrates on information that is supposed to have a Jewish flavour, and does not even achieve this very well. It tends to ignore much information that would be valuable in any good commentary. Much of it is just a poor explanation of the author's Jewish New Testament which I again would not recommend.
Published on 22 Mar 2007 by Roland Ramsdale

5.0 out of 5 stars Easily the most balanced commentary around, 11 Dec 1999
By A Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-buy for anyone who wants the New Testament in context!, 2 April 2009
This review is from: Jewish New Testament Commentary (Paperback)
I had very high expectations when I bought this book, and was not disappointed once I'd read it!

The way that Stern brings demonstrates the Jewish nature of the New Testament is absolutely eye-opening also necessary if one is to understand the context of the books therein.

Phrases which might seem a little 'odd' or perplexing to western cultures make total sense once Stern has explained their Jewish meaning.

I would thoroughly recommend this book to any biblical scholar.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential requirement for Bible study, 9 April 2009
This review is from: Jewish New Testament Commentary (Paperback)
This book is essential for anyone who is interested in the Jewish origin of the Bible. Written by a Jewish believer in Jesus, the book succeeds on two levels - first as a good, solid commentary on the New Testament, and then as an exposition of the meaning of many of the words and phrases of the NT in their original Jewish context.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps one of the most useful Bible commentaries around., 5 Nov 1998
By A Customer
I am a Christian, and this commentary was recommended to me by a preacher friend. I have quite a few Bible commentaries at home, but I have found this one to be the most helpful. I highly recommend it to any Christian who wants to go 'deeper' into God's Word.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptionally valuable resource!, 20 April 1999
This review is from: Jewish New Testament Commentary (Paperback)
I love browsing in this book, and when people ask me questions about how Jewish people have felt about the issue of Messiah, I reach for this volume! I love how David presents the many sides of each issue, letting the reader come to his own conclusions. The book is well-written, concise, thoughtful, and well-balanced. :) It's one of the books in my library I refer to over and over-- whether I am speaking with believers or not. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars the least used door stop i own, 11 Sep 2007
S. Holmes (chesterfield, uk) - See all my reviews
i bought this book at the same time i purchased the 'jewish new testament'.

i cannot express in words really how grateful i am to david stern. This commentary should be on the reading list of everyone professing to follow christ. what is more it ouught to be compulsory for all new christians to own one. It would certainly save a lot of time in undoing some of the rubbish you learn over the years about what 'preachers' think the bible says about a verse.

My only complaint is that it is not bigger and more complete, and that there is not a versionl for tanakh.

I cannot recommend this book highly enough.

Steve

5.0 out of 5 stars A really helpful commentary, 24 Dec 2012
This review is from: Jewish New Testament Commentary (Paperback)
I have given this commentary a 5 star rating because overall I think it is an excellent treatise of many NT verses/passages and also because of its unique Jewish angle.

I haven't yet read every comment, but have actually got through most because half of the time I just can't put it down it is so interesting. There are three aspects that to me are very interesting in this book, and they are his views on Israel and the Church, Salvation by faith and also his understanding of the diety of Christ.

I have to be honest and say that he has enhanced my understanding of these subjects so much that I am just extremely grateful to this man. The Jewish context is so critical in understanding a book written predominently by Jews and he gives this extremely well.

I also like his understanding of Romans 9-11, he seems to take a very balanced approach in an era where so many have diverged beyond Scripture in two opposite directions in my opinion, I also learnt so much from his understanding of Ephesians 2 in relation to this issue. In that same vain, if you haven't already, read his exposition of Romans 2:28, 29 and Galatians 6:16 - just brilliant!

Also, his comments in Galatians are very interesting. His understanding of how Paul uses the term 'law' (nomos) in this book seem to be relatively unique and thus provide an interesting interpretation of the thrust of Paul's teaching to the Galatians. I also like the way he seems to dispel a few myths that have arison as theology has developed over the years in the Church.

Finally, his treatment of the deity of Christ is very helpful in my view - he basically asks and answers the question - is the idea compatible with a Jewish outlook/background? Obviously, given the rise of Arianism in the Church (both past and present), I think sometimes we (orthodox Christians) can look at a passage and try to prove the deity of Christ but end up missing what is being taught. I think Stern takes an interesting approach to this subject and is happy to say when he thinks a passage is clearly teaching the deity of Christ, and when perhaps others, though still hinting at this, actually could more be seeking teaching another truth at that point.

Overall, a great commentary and should definitely be bought by all teachers and students of the Word.

5.0 out of 5 stars an essential book, 12 Dec 2012
So many profound insights. This book is an absolute must for anyone who is looking to search deeper into the scriptures and gain a better understanding. The sheer depth of study, prayer and devotion that has gone into the writing of this book is obvious. Anyone who has an interest in the Bible should add this book to their collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Good Read!, 13 Mar 2014
Clear easy to read lettering. The layout is clear and definitive. Finding the commentary very helpful, informative, clarifying and thought provoking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, 14 Nov 2013
This review is from: Jewish New Testament Commentary (Paperback)
I found the item very useful and I had no problem with it and I did not wait for it too much but exactly the time suggest at the time of the purchasing. thank you

Jewish New Testament Commentary
Jewish New Testament Commentary by David H Stern (Paperback - 31 Dec 1998)