5.0 out of 5 stars Enormously inspiring
Published on 14 Mar 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful edition
I'm not commenting on the book - just this particular edition by BN publishing. I've never encountered so many typos in one book in my life. I can't believe it was proof-read - unless the proofreader was dyslexic. There are countless blank lines interrupting the flow of the text.

Here are some examples of the errors I've found:
Chapter 7 - Be...
Published on 23 Sep 2010 by Captain Nemo

5.0 out of 5 stars Enormously inspiring, 14 Mar 2005
By A Customer
This book was written in 1938 but it is timeless. I read it as an inspiration to start writing, but it is in fact a book about life in general. It makes you stop and think about how you are living your life and whether you are doing the thing that you feel most passionate about, whatever that thing may be. Brenda Ueland is an inspiration - there should be more teachers like her. I borrowed this book from a library but will be buying it and recommending it to anyone who cares to listen!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book on writing and creativity I have ever read!, 26 May 2009
This review is from: If You Want to Write: A Book about Art, Independence and Spirit (Paperback)
I work as a professional writer (journalism and copywriting mainly) but my creative writing took a nosedive years ago and I have been struggling to resurrect it for ages. Consequently, I am always on the look out for books which spark off the creative fire within, and needless to say my bookshelves are groaning under the weight of those which I have bought, read and not yet read over the years.

I stumbled across the reviews for this title and thought it was worth a shot, and have to say it is quite simply the best book on writing that I have ever read (and I've read loads!). It absolutely worked for me and I have spewed out thousands of words since I read it without stopping. They are not all necessarily good, but as the book explains, that's not the point.

Buy it now without hesitation, and get on with writing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Part of the list of book everyone should own, 3 Sep 2009
Steven C (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Like one reviewer said, eventhough it's been written in 1938 this book is timeless.

I am writing as someone who's not a writter, English is not even my first language. I found this book really inspiring, it's not only about writing, it's about inspiration and how to express yourself in the more honest way.

writing is one of the most important skill, in your personal life and professional, this is definitely a classic to own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff for the soul, 4 Dec 2009
This book really makes me want to continue my writing. Brenda Ueland's advice is spot on and through illustrative examples from her writing class and through her own writing she demonstrates that it works. Even though the book was written in 1938 it's still as relevant today as it was then. I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to find a way to express their inner creativity! It's an inspirering and uplifting book!

3.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful edition, 23 Sep 2010

Here are some examples of the errors I've found:
Chapter 7 - Be carless... should read 'Be careless'.
Chapter 12 - Art is inflection ... should read 'Art is infection'.

There is no information about either the book or the author. From Wikipedia I find that Brenda Euland was born October 24, 1891 and wrote this book in 1938. The only date I can find in this edition is "Copyright 2008 - BN Publishing".

If you want to buy this book, fine - just look for another edition, like the Graywolf Press maybe.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book.. really inspires you to write., 25 Feb 2010
P. Craig (Shropshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I'm only 4 chapters in but already I'm amazed at how contemporary this book is, given that it was written over 60 years ago. I guess that when you get to the core reasons of why people write & what the process can positively do for your sense of wellbeing (soul), these never change. I also love the fact that this feisty American author who grabbed life by the throat, was also Knighted by the King of Norway & held records for over 80's female swimmers! Her writing classes must have been an inspiration. It's a cliche I know to say that there's a book in every one of us, but when she explains that the best & most interesting work comes when written from the centre of ones being, well we all have one of those, so anything is possible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Words of wisdom for writers :-), 20 Mar 2010
E. King - See all my reviews
I bought this book from a shop in Hay-on-Wye earlier today and read it straight through in one go! As I am currently attempting to nurture my own writing ability, this was an extremely useful book to read...and also an uplifting one. I was amazed to discover how long ago the book was actually written, the author sounds like a remarkable lady and I found myself regretting that I couldn't write and tell her how much I had enjoyed her book (she sadly passed away some years ago). She expressed some beautiful thoughts on the thinking and creative process that I found myself identifying with, and I have also, like a previous reviewer mentioned, decided to try reading some of the Russian authors she loved so much.
Anywaym final thoughts: would highly recommend for someone who wants a little advice on gettingt started with creative writing, but doesn't want to trudge through the dull prose of some dry and dusty "how-to-write" manual. This style of book is infinitely preferable! :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars frigging boss, 16 Mar 2014
Best book I've ever read, if you want to open you eyes then read it, love it x . .

5.0 out of 5 stars never judge a book buy it's cover, 22 Feb 2013
Written with wisdom and generosity, the kind of book I will keep on my shelf as an old friend years from now.

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVED IT, 12 July 2012
No practical writing tips, only philosophy of writing. Might be just fresh air but... I loved it, and it helped me through a bad writing period! Sometimes this is just what you need. And it seems to have been written yesterday.

ARRAY(0xb8f77d68)

If You Want to Write: A Book about Art, Independence and Spirit
If You Want to Write: A Book about Art, Independence and Spirit by Brenda Ueland (Paperback - 25 July 2008)
5.79