1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars A Cracking Adventure!, 2 Nov 2011
G. Hooper (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lost World (Naxos Classic Fiction) (Audio CD)
First and foremost, this is a wonderful, wonderful story; a 'proper' adventure yarn of the old school.

Conan Doyle is, of course, much better known for his creation of the world's most famous fictional detective, Sherlock Holmes. But the great man wrote much, much more and amongst his very best non-Holmes work is the utterly impossible Professor Challenger. This tale (there are others) centres around the irascible Challenger who asserts, to the disbelieve and scorn of the scientific elite in London, that a lost world exists deep within the Amazon jungle - a world which implausibly has remained locked in time. Yes, a land where dinosaurs still rule the earth!

The scene is wonderfully set, then, for an hugely enjoyable, romp of an adventure into the depths of South America, where Challenger and his three intrepid companions encounter prehistoric creatures, 'ape men', double-crossing natives and much, much more.

The pace of the story is suburb and Conan Doyle's writing is so rich both in his description of the main characters, but also in the way he creates endless twists and turns to the fate of the adventurers.

I'll say no more about the plot because I wouldn't wish to spoil your listening/reading save that I would urge you buy either the book or this excellent Naxos audio book which I have listend to in the car on my way to and from work over one week.

I find reviews of audio books are often restricted to the book itself with no mention at all of the quality of the recording so I'll conclude my comment by giving more than a nod of appreciation to Glen McCready, the brilliant narrator of The Lost World. I confess I don't know Mr McCready but boy, does he read a good story. He brings atmosphere and real tension to the roller-coaster events that befall the professor and his friends and if you have, like me, trouble getting time to read (those pesky kids!), then this audio book is for you.

If you've never met Prof G E Challenger before then you're for a real treat. Enjoy.

The Lost World (Naxos Classic Fiction)
The Lost World (Naxos Classic Fiction) by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Audio CD - 2 Jan 2009)
Used & New from: 10.49