Format: Audio CD|Change

on 2 November 2002
If you are looking for a recording of one of the greatest plays ever written or love this play anyway, buy, buy this recording. This production assembles a truly magnificent cast headed by Paul Schofield whose Lear, recorded at around 80, is breath-taking. I don't know of a finer recording of Shakespeare. Lauded by the press, you don't even have to know the text or be 'into' theatre to be drawn into this drama. Harriet Watrer, Alec McCowan, Kenneth Branagh - what a cast! Branach perhaps is a bit irritating as the fool, but that is my only cavil. I love this recording - one to return to again and again. I'm not ashamed to say I wept at the end.
on 14 April 2013
I had already seen the DVD of King Lear but it helped to be able to hear it along with my son's book in order to revise for the A level exams.. He liked it very much and felt it was useful to hear the words loud in order to retain them, as instructed by his teacher.
on 2 August 2015