Format: Audio CD|Change

on 20 May 2010
This is wonderful, fast-paced romp through the vast world of English literature. It is both a great introduction to the subject and an entertaining point of reference for more knowledgeable listeners. Derek Jacobi employs his characteristic grand, statesmanlike oratory and it is well-suited when describing the sweeping changes in the history of literature.
on 17 September 2015
I learned a lot (I've never been much of a historian) - plus this is full of beautiful readings by various luminaries including Anton Lesser, John Shrapnel and Michael Sheen - all superbly held together by Derek Jacobi's narration. I can't recommend this highly enough.
on 1 October 2014
Very good, although the chapter on the 20th century was short and didn't offer much - but I guess that's not this author's fault.
on 28 June 2015