5.0 out of 5 stars King Arthur
I listened to this with my 7 and 10 year old sons whilst driving them to school over several days. It was absolutely gripping and I could hardly stop myself listening to the next chapter without them.
Published on 14 July 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Too long.
Sean Bean delivers the story well but it was just too long to maintain interest. I found it hard to pick up from where I left off.
Published 17 months ago by AB

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchantingly done., 19 Feb 2009
This review is from: King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table,stories from Camelot (Junior Classics) (Audio CD)
I bought this for my five (nearly six) year old son although, as other reviewers have noted, the story and its telling is as enjoyable for an adult. Sean Bean does a great job of the reading (and various voices) but I also thought Benedict Flynn's retelling of the stories has been very well done. Perhaps I am imagining it but he seems to have captured some of the poetry of the Middle English romances...in any event it has been a real pleasure to listen to.

4.0 out of 5 stars King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table (Junior Class, 20 Jun 2005
Tracy (Worksop, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Great sound effects, great narration! recommended to kids from ages 5-10.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for car journeys, 3 Sep 2009
J. Barbour (Aberdeen Scotland) - See all my reviews
This kept our children aged 7,8 & 9 engrossed(as were the adults) for two hours as we drove across France to get a ferry in Belgium and then they wanted to listen to it again. Sean Bean is excellent and captures the mythic power of these stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars absolutely marvellous, 4 Aug 2013
hillbank68 "almac1975" (Fife, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This is terrific! The text is literate, condensed and fairly simple, very well-judged for young listeners, though probably not really accessible to any child under 7 or so (my 7-year-old grandson loved it ; I'm not sure he would have coped with it a year or two ago). Sean Penn's voice is beautiful and his delivery dramatic and absorbing. There is tactful use of background music, always adding to rather than getting in the way of the text. The two CDs - 2 hours 28 minutes long - seem to me excellent value for money and have given, and continue to give, great pleasure.

4.0 out of 5 stars very good but more sound effects needed, 12 Feb 2013
I. C. Waterstone (Rome, Italy) - See all my reviews
This is a good version, the text compelling enough to grab the attention of a 6 year old as well as adults; well read, except perhaps that more variety could have been put into the reading (e.g. to distinguish different characters, or highlight dramatic scenes from narrative threads); on the same lines, there are good sound effects, but I think a few more would help add texture to the whole. The illustrations are good, quite fairy (feerie)-like in their atmosphere (and nice not to have too many loud colours for a change).

5.0 out of 5 stars Arthur, 18 May 2012
I bought this for my 5 year old who loves knights, but we all love it as much as he does.
Sean Bean does an excellent job, but the story itself is so gripping and so well written that it speaks for itself. This is a legend fraught with the frailties of human nature, and therefore contains a lot of excellent lessons for the younger listener, wrapped up in a fascinating legend. Some of the deeper complexities of the story (thankfully) seem to go straight over my children's heads and they enjoy it on their own level.
We are on our 6th listen and we are still enjoying it.... high recommended. I wish there were more audio books pitched at this level.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended for mums too :), 18 July 2014
My 7 year old son loves anything to do with kings and knights, so this sounded great for motorway journeys. We have had it a couple of months and must have listened to it 10 times! I have even sat listening to it on my way to work by myself! Fantastic story of hero's and magic, bravery and a bit of gore..every boys dream. The story is on 2 discs and a fairly long story, but we we're both gripped! Hoping now to find an equally fascinating story to join us on the M5 :) Very happy mum and 7(and 3 quarters) year old boy.

4.0 out of 5 stars King Arthur, 24 Jan 2010
Fabulous. Great language and neatly compacted story and well read. All the children gripped by it and the adults too. A good buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table,stories from Camelot (Junior..., 30 April 2014
Mr. R. Evans (Dorset UK) - See all my reviews
Ewan, my grandson really loved this book and it is still in his library. A good purchase for a young grandson

5.0 out of 5 stars HIghly recommended, 7 April 2014
I have always loved the Tales of King Arthur, so am relieved that this CD was produced so nicely. The whole car load (me plus 15+ 13+10 year olds) ended up transfixed over a long journey - we even sat in the car listening after we arrived!!

8 years +

Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available