Format: Audio CD|Change

on 5 December 2008
I bought this for my son but have also enjoyed listening to it myself.
The reader has a good reading voice (nothing like Julian Clary as another reviewer has suggested) and also does pronounce the names correctly - he uses the now generally accepted Heracles rather than Hercules and this has confused some people.
on 2 August 2006
We purchased this CD on the basis of another Amazon review and weren't disappointed. Ths kids (aged 8 & 6) love the stories (Heracles, Theseus, Perseus, Jason and the Argonauts among others) and the CD is requested on every car journey! It's a painless way of getting a bit of knowledge/history into us all. The stories are re-told in modern language with some music thrown in for effect at key points, which all adds to the effect. The narrator has a pleasant voice (important when these CDs are played repeatedly!) and even though we all know the stories backward now, enjoy them still.
0Comment|96 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 March 2012
When I first heard this in the car I was a bit taken aback at the vivid goriness of the descriptions of battles with montsers. My husband and I can barely contain ourselves sometimes when we hear of the dismembering of some monster by a hero, but our boys (5 and 7) absolutely LOVE it. SO does our school ride boy (11) who is actually quiet for the only time during the day! I find the narrator's voice a bit monotone but he is very clear and given the gore he has to describe I think he does very well. I need to get the next CD as I am getting to know the Tales of the Greek Legends a bit too well - love the backing music too when it occurs... Not for bedtime stories but great for car journeys!
on 26 June 2009
Tales from greek legends is an excellent CD for travelling with the kids in the car. My children enjoyed listening to the adventures of Zeus and of Heracles. After each story we would pause the disc and allow the kids to ask questions and to query the various aspects of the tales. It's perfect for an hours long journey as it keeps the peace and allows the children to familarise themselves with these tales and it enables them to examine and question the works on their own terms and at their own speed.
on 11 July 2012
Well written and beautifully read, my 11 year old loves these CDs and listens to them over and over again.
on 31 December 2014
As my 9 year old son loves the current BBC series of Atlantis and we have Greek relations, I thought he might enjoy this to listen to in the car. We had a long 3 hour drive back from holiday and he listened to both CDs and thoroughly enjoyed them. He did comment that there was a lot of "falling in love" and "dying", which I suppose, to be fair, pretty much summarises the Greek legends. Not too much gore and educational too. I would recommend as an alternative car activity to iPad..
on 11 February 2016
These legends are almost immortal, like the ancient Greek gods they speak about.
We still enjoy stories of heroes and heroines, and they spark our imaginations.
on 29 January 2014
bought for my 7 yr old daughter. She likes them and so do I. Two discs worth, classical music between tales, what more can you ask for. Definitely recommended
on 13 August 2014
Bought for my 6 year old, older child likes them instead! Good for getting children into the Greek legends! Delivery was prompt and well wrapped. Many thanks
on 3 September 2013
A great introduction to some of the Greek legends.
Listened to the disc during a long drive and enjoyed by everyone.