5.0 out of 5 stars Yummy scrummy!
Published on 14 Oct 2011 by Jesterjons

2.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book, very authentic but not that practical if you're new to South Indian cookery
This is a lovely book with beautiful pictures and it provides a good introduction to understanding South Indian cuisine. However many of the recipes take a couple of hours, although there are a few which take less than an hour. I also found a lot of the ingredients very difficult to source. It has things like black gram dal, toor dal etc which you can't get from the...
Published on 8 Jan 2012 by Mary

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Yummy scrummy!, 14 Oct 2011
This review is from: Dakshin: Vegetarian Cuisine from South India (Paperback)
I recently got introduced to South Indian cooking and was very very impressed by it and naturally wanted to recreate this wonderful food at home. I bought this book in the hope that it might give me an easy induction and it didn't fail. Once you've got your head round converting cup measurements into metric it is so much easier. For dishes like the raman and sambars it was necessary to make up a batch of masalas which involved dry roasting huge amounts of seeds and grinding them up (I ended up buying a mill for this) but they will last me for months and my kitchen smelt fragrant for days after. It is in many ways a different approach to cooking than what we are used to in European and even a lot of Northern Indian cooking, for instance there are no onions in most of the recipes and in most cases no ghee.The rices are sprightly and crunchy having tempered dal in them. For dishes like sambar the dal is cooked seperately and added at the end as are the seeds used for tempering. The rasam, sambar and some of the rices have now become firm staples for me that are a delight to amke and eat, they have that moreish quality to them that sees you fighting to restrain yourself from guzzling away in guilty pleasure. I've even had some of the Southern Indian women I work with praise the dishes I've taken in for lunch and let them sample, which is high praise indeed. So if you want to learn about the delicious, tingling, spicy-sharp cooking that is South Indian I can certainly recommend this book and so will all of my very happy and satisfied friends tummies.
My only warning is this; Southern Indian food involves a lot of chillies but they have mastered them in a way that the heat reaches a plateau that is surprising but not mouth blistering and the payoff is that you get these wonderful endorphin rushes that continue after the meal leaving the backs of the thighs tingling in pure pleasure.

5.0 out of 5 stars First class book for curry fiends, 13 Dec 1998
By A Customer
The book details some unsual vegetarian curries and side dishes which would be of interest to meat eaters or vegetarians alike. The recipes while quite complicated, especially the Dosai, depict the very tasty cuisine of South India.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic book, 7 May 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Dakshin: Vegetarian Cuisine from South India (Paperback)
I have the hardback version. Very unusual to find a beautifully presented book on South Indian vegetarian cuisine - this is the only one i've ever found. As a veggie South Indian, I can vouch for the authenticity and accuracy of the recipes, love the Tamil equivalents on names and the fact that the recipes are 'just like mother makes'.Would recommend this to anyone who wants to get into South Indian cuisine. Mmmmmmmmm!

5.0 out of 5 stars Authentic cooking - not just for vegetarians, 2 Dec 2010
This review is from: Dakshin: Vegetarian Cuisine from South India (Paperback)
I do not mind what the cookbook looks like only the quality of the recipes. So many Indian cookbooks seems to skate over the surface of Indian food as they cannot include the huge variety within one book. This book covers its area perfectly. I have not been to Southern India for many years, however in the past I spent five months travelling through Southern India. These recipes evoke memories of my travels. This book it not just for vegetarians but for individuals who wish to experience Southern Indian cooking.When I was there I very rarely saw meat on a menu only the types of recipes in this book.

The explanation of the order of eating the dishes - I wish I had known about years ago.

5.0 out of 5 stars All the flavours I remember, 13 July 2006
Liz (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dakshin: Vegetarian Cuisine from South India (Paperback)
Having visited South India I was looking for a book which would allow me to attempt to recreate the food I ate while there. This book is perfect. Everything I have attempted has been delicious and reminiscent of the flavours I enjoyed there. The book covers a variety of snacks, sambars & rasams, poriyals, salads, chutneys, rice dishes and desserts. Whilst some ingredients are difficult to source unless you have an Asian grocer locally the majority are relatively easy to obtain.

Highly recommended if you are familiar with South Indian cuisine or if you would like to try a different style of Indian cookery than the more familiar North Indian curries.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 11 July 2011
This review is from: Dakshin: Vegetarian Cuisine from South India (Paperback)
This is definitely an excellent cookbook, since strictly following the recipes brings to very good results. The dishes resemble those in the (beautiful) pictures and everithig is clearly explained.
Really recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars South Indian Vegetarian Cuisine, 31 May 2011
This review is from: Dakshin: Vegetarian Cuisine from South India (Paperback)
Liked the look of the book and photos. Good range of vegetarian recipes. Although my 'spice grinding' needs perfecting a bit more - the recipes I have tried have certainly had the taste of Kerala we experienced on our visit.

5.0 out of 5 stars recipie book, 23 Feb 2011
This review is from: Dakshin: Vegetarian Cuisine from South India (Paperback)
really great-the local take away has been out of business from us scince I got this-its great to use this easy to follow and reliable source of recipies-
taste delicious-
I have tried them on numerous people to universal appreciation
heartily recommended
and low fat too so long as you go easy on the coconut

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for all, 14 Dec 2010
This review is from: Dakshin: Vegetarian Cuisine from South India (Paperback)
I can not speak for the authenticity of this book, as I have never been to India. However, when it comes to flavours and tastes, this book is a wonderful addition to any collection of cookbooks.
The recipes do use a large number of ingredients, but most of them are store cupboard types (or soon will be) and you soon find that delicious meals can be created with the purchase of just a few vegetables and herbs. The variety of sambhars and rasams contained within the pages are inspiring and some of the recipes for accompaniments are as interesting as the main dishes on offer. I have yet to find anybody that doesn't love the coconut curd salad.
So be prepared to fill your cupboards with spices and grams, but you won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars authentic recipes, 17 Sep 2013
This review is from: Dakshin: Vegetarian Cuisine from South India (Paperback)
These recipes are not tailored or modified to European tastes or kitchen habits. They really include the original ingredients and don't compromise. Really good. The book is also densely packed with a wide range of special dishes that I hadn't found before in any other Indian cookbook.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Dakshin: Vegetarian Cuisine from South India
Dakshin: Vegetarian Cuisine from South India by Chandra Padmanabhan (Paperback - 22 Sep 1999)
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available