5.0 out of 5 stars Unsurpassed Chinese-English Dictionary, 5 May 2000
By A Customer
This dictionary is the best Chinese-English dictionary I have come across. I've yet to see anything that even comes close to the level of excellence that it attains. This dictionary is essential for any intermediate and advanced student of Chinese. In it are contained some 120,000 entries arranged under some 7330 characters, selected from vast wealth of sources ranging from Chinese classics to newspapers and colloquial language, emphasising wide application and current usage. Whilst not an encyclopaedic dictionary, the entries often contain cultural information. Many proper nouns are included, e.g., names of famous people, famous events, geographical names, etc.
The characters in the dictionary are arranged according to the classical Kangxi radical method, and the common vulgar and corrupt forms of the characters are listed in addition to their standard form. A table of characters whose radical is difficult to identify is provided to aid users. Indices with the characters arranged according to their pronunciation are also very helpful for finding characters whose pronunciation one knows, but whose exact form one cannot remember. The definitions of the characters and phrases are clear and concise, often containing encyclopaedic information, particularly those words pertaining to classical Chinese culture. Pronunciation for the individual characters is given in Pinyin, Zhuyin and Gwoyeu Romatzyh, whilst the pronunciation of the phrases are given only in Zhuyin.
Physically, the dictionary is of a very manageable size, containing some 2000 very thin pages, which are of quality paper. The print, whilst not large, is clean and clearly legible. The book itself is well-bound and not too unwieldy for frequent use.
All in all, then, the Far East Chinese-English Dictionary is a great asset on any Chinese learner's bookshelf. It has everything in its favour: its price, its size, its quality and its content. I simply cannot go past this dictionary, being both comprehensive and concise, and would heartily recommend it to almost anyone who has need of a comprehensive Chinese-English dictionary that is not too large.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Book But..., 2 Aug 2010
This is a nice book and very exhaustive in its content although the print is very small. Still, it could hardly be kept in compact form otherwise. I'm sure that I'll come to consult it a lot in future BUT it's not actually the book I expected. The book that I had in mind is arranged differently ( I found a copy in Liverpool Central Library some time ago)and has a different ISBN number. I found it on the web a couple of years ago and kept the details in a file on my PC. Annoyingly my hard drive packed up shortly afterwards and the precise details were lost, so I had to rely on what I could remember and the description on Amazon was the closest that I could find. A clear description of its content in the absence of a preview of the working pages of the book would have made this obvious and probably helped me find exactly what I was looking for. No complaints about the book itself or the service.

ARRAY(0xaed07fe4)

Far East Chinese English Dictionary
Far East Chinese English Dictionary by S. Liang (Hardcover - 31 Dec 1997)
Used & New from: 20.00