5.0 out of 5 stars The Most Essential Chess Book Ever

Published on 16 Mar 2010 by Robster

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Most Essential Chess Book Ever, 27 Oct 2011
This review is from: My System (Chess Classics) (Paperback)
First, be warned!! Beginners should not read this book. My System is aimed at players who already have an understanding of how the game is played, and who play regular chess at any sort of competitive level. To get to the level required to read this book, take a look at my list (apologies for the pitch), read the books placed before it, and ensure you have two to three years experience playing at club level.

This is almost certainly the best chess book I have ever read. If Amazon offered 6 stars, it would get all 6. The book is broken down into two parts: the elements and positional play. The elements alone will improve your game, as they did mine almost immediately. Positional play is much tougher, but it combines the elements in such a way that you learn which sort of positions you should be aiming for, while simultaneously introducing a few new concepts.

Each chapter ends with a schematic that acts as a guide for your thoughts regarding each element introduced. This gives you a lot to think about, but as you gain more experience you find your thought process quickens and soon it will all come very naturally to you.

My System was written in the 1920s, and chess has evolved somewhat since then, but the beauty is that almost all modern theory is based on this book, making it timeless. The proof of this lies in the fact that very few variations offered by Nimzowitsch are put up against a computer for analysis. Nimzowitsch offers some amusing anecdotes and philosophical ideas to help make his point, and even these are still relevant today. The translation for this edition was completely new at the time of printing, and is excellent. It is easy to read and understand, and in the rare instance where further clarification is required, the editor has made his point in a footnote.

I have but one criticism, and this minor. You will need to read this book twice to get the maximum benefit, as some points made at the end will help to make some of the points made at the beginning that extra bit clearer. But it's that good, that even reading it a second time is still a pleasure.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for beginners and low rated club players!!, 11 Mar 2009
BgB71 "BgB71" (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My System (Chess Classics) (Paperback)
If ,like me, your a low rated club player 1100+ whose chess is improving fast(or not as the case may be) and looking for that chess book among thousands that will set you of on the right path then this edition of MY SYSTEM is FABULOUS. IT's concept's are clear and easy to understand even if some of chess strategy has evolved over the years many of the basic ideas are still the same. Stronger players in my club always told me to have a plan when playing chess because sooner or later you come to a place when you're not going to know the book reply and tactics will not solve the problem either. MY SYSTEM will put you on the right track to developing good sound POSITIONAL play. Tactical play is great but on its own will not improve your chess. My thinking has changed dramatically because of this book and my grade is rising accordingly. I would also recommend that you follow up this book with SECRETS of MODERN CHESS STRATEGY by John Watson and UNDERSTANDING CHESS MOVE by MOVE by John Nunn. Save time and improve now and get on the right track to winning.

5.0 out of 5 stars A little chess gem, 9 Nov 2011
This review is from: My System (Chess Classics) (Paperback)
This book is a clear and concise exposition of some of the key principles of strategy that one should follow if you want to develop as a chess player. Don't expect to be spoon fed...like all chess books, the lessons only come through playing through game after game, although there are simple schematic summaries of the key aspects of each lesson. Learning does not come easy...this book helps. I would recommend to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good allrounder., 16 April 2011
This review is from: My System (Chess Classics) (Paperback)
A chess book I like everything about. The size, readability and enticement ( or is that readability ) were just about right.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny chess, 2 Jan 2011
This review is from: My System (Chess Classics) (Paperback)
Very well written book. It is a pleasure to go on readind it (which is not the case for most chess books).
Very clear, even for a beginner.
The technical quality of the book itself is very pleasant.
Also, having it is having a piece of chess history.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant Book to Help You Improve, 30 Sep 2010
This review is from: My System (Chess Classics) (Paperback)
I loved reading this book.

My grading went up a lot after reading My System.

I learned how to use my bishops better and understood about pins at a much deeper level.

Q What is excellent about the book? The Answer has to be the quality of translation. Much, much better and easier to read than previous translations.

I think that any club player would love to get this book as a Christmas present.

Julian

Author of The Major Transition

3.0 out of 5 stars Another to differ, 16 Mar 2010
This review is from: My System (Chess Classics) (Paperback)
Best the potential reader be advised, this book is not easy to read. Scripted long before ideas of clarity and layout with bullets/reminders/bold/tips etc developed to help understanding which in turn gives better results. There's tons of heavy detail. It might be some's reading style but I suspect not many. There are many clearer easier modern Tutors, not all admittedly, that are definitly well worth a good look.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic from one of the Kings!, 19 Jan 2009
This review is from: My System (Chess Classics) (Paperback)
This is a good old fashioned in-depth book about the fundamentals of chess. This book, originally published in 1929 is divided into chapters concerning some highly important chess concepts. For instance, in Part I the Center and Development is covered followed by a chapter on Open Files and then some techniques concerning the 7th and 8th ranks (important is 7th rank absolute!)

Part II talks about Positional Play, Doubled Pawns and the Two Bishops. There then follows 50 Illustrative Games most of which involve Nimzowitsch himself although not all. The games are written in the old notation which may be unfamiliar to some, but this should by no means deter the reader. Although the book can be read cover to cover this is not recommended and could take some time. I personally feel that it is better to dip into the chapters that cover a subject you are weak in ...

It is worth remembering that although a lot of chess concepts are taken for granted today by chess players all over the world - Nimzowitsch was actually the first to write many of them down!

His ideas replaced the old school of chess thinking and gave birth to the Hyper-modern school. This is a great study book for all levels!

4.0 out of 5 stars Strong material..., 23 Sep 2013
This review is from: My System (Chess Classics) (Paperback)
Sometimes hard to visualise the ideas without a board to go through each - and this takes time- but the material here is incredibly important. Great ideas well presented and a true classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Profound and inspiring, 8 Aug 2013
This review is from: My System (Chess Classics) (Paperback)
I feel that a lot of the material in this book is really for quite advanced players. Yet even though I am a rather basic player I still love this book and enjoy reading it as well as setting up and examining the positions/games it offers. I think this is because the author clearly loved chess and was inspired by it and was able to communicate this in the book. I came back to playing regular chess after reading this book and even though I am not a strong player I love the game and this book still inspires me.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

My System (Chess Classics)
My System (Chess Classics) by Aron Nimzowitsch (Paperback - 1 Jan 2007)