5.0 out of 5 stars Wado-Ryu Katas made simple
This book is without doubt one of the best I have seen for illustrating katas.
It covers the five Pinan Katas, along with Kushanku, Naifanchi, Seishan, and Chinto, and explains in detail the required stances, moves and some applications.
Several books illustrate Wado-Ryu katas but tend to vary at certain points in each kata. As a student of Wado-Ryu in the UK,...
Published on 10 Dec 2002 by JM

3.0 out of 5 stars A good coverage of kata sequences, but no Bassai
I found the book useful for learning and remembering the sequences of moves, but little more. As the book only contains pictures, its real benefit to the student is in learning the sequences of movements. For katas beyond the Pinan ones, it is easy to forget them if you don't practice them for a while, so this book could prove valuable. I did find it odd that there...
Published on 17 Aug 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars karate, 13 Feb 2014
This review is from: Karate Katas of Wadoryu (Hardcover)
I bought this book as a birthday present and the service was excellent I ordered it on Sunday evening and it was delivered to me by 12-30 the following day. The book was everything I expected it to be and it was in excellent condition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Karate, 31 May 2013
This review is from: Karate Katas of Wadoryu (Hardcover)
I bought this book for my grandson who is getting really good at karate. Unfortunately the book had a name written in the front but I managed to put a label over the top and write my own words for my grandson. Very good book showing all the moves, katas and language. Arrived earlier than expected; very good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Addition To Wado Ryu, 1 May 2013
This review is from: Karate Katas of Wadoryu (Hardcover)
A great book giving very detailed descriptions and easily understandable pictures as to how to perform most katas required for 1st and 2nd Dan (To an Extent). There is also some useful bunkai for a select few of the moves, which before learning the kata may seem a bit odd. Provides all the correct transitions, stances and moves. The hardback cover and the good quality pages gives a great durable book, that will be continually used for years to come.

A must buy for those learning Wado Ryu

Adil

5.0 out of 5 stars A great Book, 16 Feb 2013
This review is from: Karate Katas of Wadoryu (Hardcover)
This book is great for all new strudent of Wadoryu Karate it explain the Katas very well I could not do with it now

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect gift, 6 Sep 2012
This review is from: Karate Katas of Wadoryu (Hardcover)
this book has been perfect for my 9yr old son to help him with his kata moves for his karate.

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent reference guide, 23 Mar 2012
This review is from: Karate Katas of Wadoryu (Hardcover)
This book was originally published in 1984, and yet remains in 2012 the best Wado Ryu basic kata book that I have been able to find. If you buy his other book Introduction to Karate, and use the two together,I think you have got the basic bases covered. Ohgami writes briefly about himself, but enough to say that he trained with the Master himself, so there is a real authenticity here. There is particular attention to stances, which is essential and too often neglected. Lets face it in 1984 you couldn't have gone on Youtube and watched the kata being performed. Now you can. But, there are a lot of bad examples out there on the internet, sloppy stances and incorrect form, bad habits to pick up. I have been able to really work on my kata by using this book to study the technicality, and learn the Japanese correctly, then using the internet to get a feel for the movement of it. It is a must for anybody who wants to get into the real technicality of the kata's. He has also gone to the trouble of demonstrating practical applications of the blocks at the bottom of the page as well. A super book, and just as relevant now as when it was written.

5.0 out of 5 stars karate 'bible', 2 Jan 2012
This review is from: Karate Katas of Wadoryu (Hardcover)
Bought as a gift for my nephew, I was assured this is the book to have for proponents of this art, he was chuffed to bits. Book came all the way from Switzerland in good time & excellent condition -thank you!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book, 2 Dec 2011
This review is from: Karate Katas of Wadoryu (Hardcover)
this is an excellent kata book to use along side your training in the dojo
the pictures are easy to follow and understand
it covers basic infor mation along with advance information
suitable for students fron 10th kyu right up to black
an excellent reference book to keep in the dojo or just to refresh yourself

5.0 out of 5 stars More than I expected!, 26 Jan 2011
This review is from: Karate Katas of Wadoryu (Hardcover)
I'm currently only purple belt ( 4th Kyu ) and put this on my christmas wishlist as it was one of the few Wado books available on amazon.
I was very, very pleasantly suprised by it's content. Not only do you get detailed photos and summaries of the katas ( including post pinan ) but the author goes into wonderful detail about things such as the physics behind punches, and some history of Wado.

Additionally, it's in a nice hardback cover which is something I appreciate.

I really enjoyed this, and compared to some other Wado books ( I will *not* name names ) seemed to be written from an honest and humble love of Wado.

My only criticism is the same as a previous reviewers, no mention of Kiai's at all. Slightly worrying when you are reviewing for a grading ;)

Anyways, since there isn't a 4.5 star option, full marks from me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good cept book - I'm happy with it, 15 Oct 2010
This review is from: Karate Katas of Wadoryu (Hardcover)
I was looking for this book in the Netherlands but almost not to get
Found by Amazone the books even for an reasonable price.
So I bought both books.
I'm verry happy,

Thanks guy's

Karate Katas of Wadoryu
Karate Katas of Wadoryu by Shingo Ohgami (Hardcover - Dec 1984)
Used & New from: 19.92