5.0 out of 5 stars A unique experience everyone should try!
My Yoga Nidra CD was actually a gift - a well-meaning friend thought I was
getting a bit "frayed at the edges" and needed to relax.
I was slightly sceptical in the beginning. I tend to hold a scientific view of the universe, and suspected this might turn out to be "up in the clouds".
My first thought after coming out of the relaxation was "gosh!" I felt as...
Published on 31 May 2002

2.0 out of 5 stars More fantasy journey than yoga nidra
Yoga nidra means yogic sleep, a state of mind where you are in a deep sleep state and at the same time awake and aware that you are sleeping. With all due respects to Janakananda I don't think he accomplies this on his CD.

According to Swami Rama, and I consider him a far more experienced and advanced yogi, the real yoga nidra requires concentration on the...
Published on 27 Aug 2007 by Bodhi Heeren

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A unique experience everyone should try!, 31 May 2002
By A Customer
My Yoga Nidra CD was actually a gift - a well-meaning friend thought I was
getting a bit "frayed at the edges" and needed to relax.
My first thought after coming out of the relaxation was "gosh!" I felt as if I'd rested for hours. Somewhere along the relaxation, my mind had let go of the tense attitude I was in the grip of. After the relaxation I lay there
looking at the things around me for quite a while, almost like a child.
I noticed the effect of this first trial of Yoga Nidra for hours afterwards.
It's hard to describe really; I was definitely more relaxed than usual, but not at all sluggish or slow, quite the opposite.
Of course, after this I started using the relaxation regularly and I am still
doing so. It continually amazes me that such seemingly simple instructions can have such a strong effect. The quality of my sleep has improved greatly since I started using the CD. I used to wake up several times each night but
now find that I can sleep the whole night through, which of course makes a
great difference to my day.
There are two relaxations on the CD, one short version (20 minutes), and one long
(45 minutes). The voice giving instructions is interwoven with music and
various sounds from nature. Before listening to it I would have thought that
this was confusing, or that it would somehow have a hypnotic effect, but I
find that the other sound effects enhance the instructions in a very
balanced and harmonious way.
I strongly recommend anyone who wants to relax and "recharge their batteries" to try this CD. It's made a definite difference for me in my
daily life.
Nicola Birch

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly relaxing, 14 Mar 2007
This review is from: Experience Yoga Nidra: Guided deep relaxation (Audio CD)
"Nidra" in Sanskrit means "sleep" or "slumber," which is the closest experience to the state we experience in hypnosis and deep meditation as described on this CD. In Indian psychology, we have three states of awareness.

The first is waking consciousness called "jagrat," where our awareness is conditioned by time and space. The conscious mind predominates in this state.

The second state is dreaming conscious called "svapna." This is the state where dreams and visions occur. The subconscious mind holds sway here. Hypnotic states with focus and full attention are possible here.

The third state is of dreamless sleep, which is deep sleep without any disturbance from dreams. This deep relaxation is "nidra," where higher consciousness allows tensions and residues from thought impressions ("samskaras")to be released. Technically there is a fourth transcendental state called "turiya" but that is far too complex to explain here.

You do feel rejuvenated after the CD. I highly recommend this CD along with a fascinating novel that also works at a deep psychological and spiritual level called "Nexus" by Deborah Morrison & Arvind Singh. I read this novel along with the "Yoga Nidra Meditation" and have found both to complement each other.

5.0 out of 5 stars RELAXING, BUT ENERGISING, 3 Nov 2004
Luis Miguel De Carvalho (Lagos, Portugal) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Experience Yoga Nidra: Guided deep relaxation (Audio CD)
Those are the best words that I found to describe the excellent CD through which Swami Janakananda so gracefully shares the ancient Indian technique of Yoga Nidra with us.
I was firstly introduced to Yoga Nidra last year while I was working and traveling extensively around the world. My job was extremely demanding and required a high level of responsibility and dedication. It was a 24 hour a day job and over the years I amounted a great deal of stress that threatened to endanger my professional performance and most importantly my health.
The CD has three parts: a short version of Yoga Nidra, a piece of music by Roop Verma and a long version of Yoga Nidra.
I found out that by listening to both versions (depending on the time available) I was able to easily manage my stress and I learned to relax. In addition, I could "finally" sleep better.
Swami is our guide on this voyage through our body parts and into our inner space. His narration and Roop's music will not let your mind wonder around, but instead you start to develop an open state that allows the body and mind to co-exist in balance, a total harmony.
My life being very active I found out that the more I practiced Yoga Nidra, the more relaxed I became, but in the long run I also discovered that I had more energy. What happened in reality was that I always had a lot of energy, but in most of the cases this energy was dispersed. Now I had found a way of channeling better my energy and take more advantage of my own resources.
For example, before long day meetings, I would start the day with a early morning Yoga Nidra practice and I would be focused and fresh throughout the day, being able to use the necessary amount of energy for each situation and finish the day with a sense of professional accomplishment and feeling very good health wise; a very happy person.
Since I was not able to do physical yoga due to my strenuous schedule and life style, Yoga Nidra was the best choice or replacement. I later found out that I could practice both types of Yoga and actually one complemented the other so it worked very well.
I also introduced this CD to my beach volleyball partner and since we have experienced an increase of coordination and better understanding of our individual techniques in the context of this fast "two a side" sport.
I have since changed job, joined my beautiful wife in matrimony and slowed my life's pace but I have to thank Swami for his great contribution to my general well being and improved health.
I would like to recommend this CD to anyone that seeks a perfect balance between body and mind and a happy life.
Luis de Carvalho
Lagos, Portugal
October 30, 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful aid to relaxation, 11 Jun 2008
This review is from: Experience Yoga Nidra: Guided deep relaxation (Audio CD)
I can't claim to be an expert in the tradition and practice of yoga nidra so I will bow to more advanced and knowledgeable practitioners as to the validity of the execution of this CD.

But properly executed in the traditional sense or not, I must recommend this to anyone who suffers from stress, anxiety, sleeping difficulties etc. I use this CD regularly before I go to bed and have found it to be a marvellous aid to getting a restful, peaceful night's sleep. The more that I use this, the better and more peaceful the effects are.

All my friends who have borrowed this have found it to be just as helpful and it is my first port of call when tense or when worries are affecting my sleep.

Perhaps the style may not suit all, but it has truly given me a tool to help me relax and switch off disruptive inner dialogue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Have used this for more than 25 years, 3 Dec 2010
PiaJuul (North-Jutland, Denmark) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Experience Yoga Nidra: Guided deep relaxation (Audio CD)
More than 25 years ago I participated in Swami Janakananda's Yoga Nidra classes at the Scandinavian Yoga and Meditation School in Copenhagen. I bought "Experience Yoga Nidra" on old fashioned cassette tape at the school and years later - when the tape "died" bought the CD version.

Even though I today have a huge collection of meditation/relaxing CDs "Experience Yoga Nidra" by Swami Janakananda Saraswati has always been my favorite - the one CD I always return to.

Both relaxing and invigorating at the same time and you really don't have to be "into" Yoga to benefit from this - try it!

4.0 out of 5 stars ABSOLUTELY GENUINE, 22 Oct 2008
This review is from: Experience Yoga Nidra: Guided deep relaxation (Audio CD)
The reviewer who states that this is not genuine yoga nidra is seriously misinformed. The text that Janakananda uses is actually from Swami Satyananda Saraswati's original work on the subject!!! (Satyananda is responsible for innovating the technique from an amalgamation of practices from ancient tantric texts in the middle of the last century. His book is cheap, called "Yoga Nidra" and available from Amazon if you wish to check the authenticity of the text used on the CD)
At no time does Satyananda recommend focusing on the heart chakra for a protracted period - this is only done with Ajna chakra.There are very sound reasons for this which the reviewer would know if he were as knowledgable as he would like to think he is.

I have only given 4 stars because, given the amount of variety available in yoga nidra texts (Satyananda provides 5 texts but each has alternative pieces appended, putting the total possible from his book alone into double figures)it is well nigh impossible to record one that will suit everybody. In this text I don't like the way the chakras are treated, but it may be a way that's ideal for you. Even so, I have used this GENUINE yoga nidra text to good effect many times, and I'm sure that it will serve as an excellent introduction to the subject for anyone who simply wants to experience very deep relaxation (EEG readings show brainwaves associated with deep sleep exhibited by yoga nidra practitioners who are wide awake!)or the serious yoga/tantra student looking to extend their practice.

Swami Rama (mentioned in the negative review) was an advanced yogi who probably developed his own form of yoga nidra to suit his own needs, as most people will who wish to gain the full benefit of the practice. Until we are as accomplished as him we are better sticking with the instructions of the original master.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chilling out, Swedish style., 8 Mar 2004
This review is from: Experience Yoga Nidra: Guided deep relaxation (Audio CD)
An easy, accessable and effective way to wind down, relax and de-stress. Split into two main parts, a 20 minute beginners excercise and a more advanced version this guided meditation comes from a Swedish expert with 30 years experience.
Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars an old favourite but caution, 4 Oct 2011
This review is from: Experience Yoga Nidra: Guided deep relaxation (Audio CD)
Having been a fan of yoga nidra for some years now since being introduced to it on a yoga teaching training course I have a small collection of CDs to choose from with a range of narrators and themes. This particular CD was recommended by my tutor at the time and is one of my old favourites. I played it nightly at one point and it soothed me into deep relaxation and afterwards a calm night's sleep. It took some time to get used to the narrator's voice which initially I found irritating especially the way he pronounced 'mouse' as 'mouth' but eventually he became a familiar sound before I went to sleep at night. And the effects were astounding in terms of relaxation but there is also another side to yoga nidra. See the third paragraph below.

There are two yoga nidras on this CD - a short one of about 15 mins and a longer one of about 45 mins with a short burst of instrumental music in-between (which I was always asleep to!). Each yoga nidra script is accompanied by gentle music and sounds and the narrator talks you through a body scan to relax the body, a guided visualisation and takes you through the chakras.

Regular use of yoga nidra helped me to get through a very sticky period in my life however, I will say that perhaps overuse exacerbated things at times which meant that the subconscious mind was being stirred up and the poisons allowed to emerge and perhaps not pass as quickly as one would like. So a note of caution here. If there is much submerged 'stuff' that you have to upload and dispose of then don't do yoga nidra every night as I did. It can be quite devastating and have consequences that you might regret. But don't let that put you off - just ration it to a couple of nights a week and choose a more neutral body scan sequence like that by John Kabat-Zinn that is more likely to invite relaxation rather than stir up the subconscious in a violent way.

It is all a matter of moderation and finding the right narrator and content! So do do some research before you make a choice or try out a few. There is a yoga nidra sequence and a different voice for all seasons!

Enjoy this CD but remember the caution!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 9 Sep 2011
This review is from: Experience Yoga Nidra: Guided deep relaxation (Audio CD)
Excellent guided meditation. His voice is really calming. The chakras section is a bit long nonetheless the rest is quite good. I highly recommend this product to anyone interested in meditation.

5.0 out of 5 stars fab, 10 Aug 2008
This review is from: Experience Yoga Nidra: Guided deep relaxation (Audio CD)
This cd really helps me at times when I know Im a bit irritable or may be unwell and can't get comfortable or just can't get to sleep- I pull this out and soon find comfort and bodily peace.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xa3190528)

Experience Yoga Nidra: Guided deep relaxation
Experience Yoga Nidra: Guided deep relaxation by Swami Janakananda Saraswati (Audio CD - 31 Dec 1996)
Used & New from: 2.62