on 7 March 2014
I love this book, even the texture and feel is cool, its well thought out. Great read and some super tips, I actually got it for the advice on how to deal with print setup etc. A cracking buy for any designer whatever their field. I have ordered the new one on portfolio/interviews, can't wait to read it. Also awaiting stock on Web Design book. Quality Book.
on 21 June 2014
I bought this book to help me with a couple of personal projects and to give me an insight into design. I've gained so much valuable info and some cheeky tricks in less than 200 pages, its fantastic. This book is kept on my desk and opened every time i'm at my computer for reference. The sections about printing, layout and file formats are really good, covering basics and more. I'd definitely recommend this book to anyone who works in design, anyone who wants to get into design or works closely with designers.
on 17 February 2012
As with all graphic design books I buy (and I buy a lot!) I bought Know your Onions because I liked the look and feel of it. Beautiful binding, excellent stock and some sexy typography - it's a gorgeous book. However, I hadn't actually expected to learn much from it. I thought I knew it all having worked in the graphic design industry for 10+ years.

Turns out I didn't know it all. The author is not only extremely knowledgeable in his field but he also has some excellent time-saving tips that I never would have thought of using. I especially enjoyed the section on the principles of typography.

I would recommend this book to anyone in the design industry whether they're starting out or have been in the industry a lifetime. There's still plenty to learn as I just have.
on 7 November 2013
A modest, intelligently written and beautifully put together book on the design process that is instantly accessible and packs a powerful creative punch - whatever your level of expertise.

Reading this book, it's like having a one to one tutorial with the author. Warm, witty and full of tips that can only come from experience, I found it hard to put down. Not only was I instantly engaged with the content but I also found myself actively starting to think in a different way.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone involved in - or interested in - the design process, whether a fully fledged creative or talented amateur: you certainly won't be disappointed - and could learn a lot.
on 7 July 2015
I loved reading this book. For starters it is designed beautifully (as you'd hope for a book on this subject to be) - it's a pleasing size and if you're a stationary nerd you'll enjoy the materials its been made from.

I'm not a qualified graphic designer, I'm self taught in the Adobe Creative Suite packages, I dabble in illustration and love picking out fonts. Reading this book has inspired me to finally go and get a graphic design qualification. Even the bits that aren't yet relevant to my day to day work, like the ins and outs of printing were interesting.

I liked the author's sense of humour and turn of phrase - it wasn't patronising or too jargon heavy. I would imagine this is a handy book to have around even if you are a qualified graphic designer with a few years experience under your belt. It never hurts to read for inspiration or a new point of view.

One tip - maybe don't read this on the beach like I did - the cover tends to absorb sun cream (-:
on 4 October 2015
To be honest I am not a person to read a book. I feel being more visual is better, but with this book it has helped me out more than I thought it would. I have to say I wish I bought this book earlier on, the knowledge is really useful and helps through all areas of the Creative Industry. Truly would reccomend this book to anyone that is wanting to start out in the design field.
on 12 March 2014
Would highly recommend this book, wish I'd read it when I was at university. Easy to follow, written with a sense of humour and some really useful hints and tips.
on 18 July 2013
Like all other reviews I can highly recommend Know Your Onions. I work in marketing so I wasn't sure it would be the right book for me.

I work with many designers on a daily basis and this book certainly got me thinking and gave me a number of great tips and useful insights into the design business. For any marketeer this is a great way to further improve your professional relationships and processes with designers and agencies.

The Top 10 tips are very helpful and the humorous style of of the author makes this a great read.
on 15 November 2015
The content of the book is fantastic, however it's the front and back cover I want to briefly talk about. It's made of untreated grey cardboard, exactly the same as toilet roll. It is impossible to keep the front cover from getting immediately grubby no matter how clean and dry your hands are as the natural oils in your fingers immediately put fingerprints on it. The only way to keep this book looking good would be to wear curator's gloves.
on 20 July 2014
I wanted to tell people how good this book actually is! I wish that I could have read this when I first started my degree rather than my final year as it has been a joy to read over and over again.

Hopefully I will become as successful one day as Drew and really hope more people buy this book because it is such a good read I have recommended to all my friends and hope you all will too!