on 21 January 2014
Excellent in every conceivable way. Very easy to read, stuffed full of tips, guidance and witty bits. Buy it. Now.
on 20 May 2014
None of the usual mind numbingly boring stuff you usually see in design books, after a quick skim and read of one or two sections that caught my interest I've found myself unable to put the book down. I've read it cover to cover multiple times (a first for me!) and think its an excellent resource and reference for any design work.
on 10 September 2014
Found myself underlining every second sentence of this book! Contains information and tips that are going to be invaluable to me as I start my career. It is clear that this knowledge is built up over years of experience and I feel privileged to have access to this! Thanks Drew for this great little book.
on 24 February 2012
As a kind of 'how to' book, this is a bit different. It's written like your are actually having a chat with the bloke who wrote it. And he's quite funny in places, which you don't usually get with these type of books.

I'm not a designer, I bought it to understand the design process. This really gives you an understanding of a whole heap of secrets and 'ways of thinking' instead of believing it's just about picking the right typeface.
on 7 March 2016
Great book. Really helps. However the title was misleading as I just wanted to learn about onions and which you should use for different salads. Good job I am a graphic designer and was able to put it to use anyway...
on 7 February 2014
Invaluable pearls of wisdom and nuggets of knowledge for any graphic designer, young or old. I regularly refer to it in moments of doubt or indecision. Nice size and lovely tactile design too. HIghly recommended
on 10 August 2014
A great source of advice for anyone starting out in design, or even seasoned professionals looking to pick up a few new tips along the way. Loads of practical information, but not at all an intimidating read.
on 17 March 2015
Wish I had had this book at the start of my Graphic design course - want to know how to organise your ideas and bring them to fruition - from a business/client point of view - then get this
on 8 March 2012
This is not a traditional reference book or a `How to' guide.

What it is, is a very enlightening overview of the whole design process, where the author shares his experiences in a lighthearted yet informative manner. Know Your Onions: Graphic Design covers all the disciplines that the modern designer now has to deal with on a daily basis, breaking them down into small bite-sized sections, before finishing each chapter with a useful recap.

As an old design dog myself, I didn't (want to) believe that I could be taught any new tricks... how wrong I was. This book has enabled me to step back and look at my own design processes, eliminate some of my bad habits, discover new time saving tips and increase my knowledge, especially with regard to typography.

I would recommend this book to anybody who is serious about becoming a better designer or if you are taking your first steps into the design industry, it should form an essential part of your toolkit.
on 29 September 2015
Really well laid out (and so it should be!) and concise - clear, compelling advice that you remember long after you read it. Can also abandon it and return to it with ease. Loved it.