4.0 out of 5 stars I wish I had read this 10 years ago
As with all graphic design books I buy (and I buy a lot!) I bought Know your Onions because I liked the look and feel of it. Beautiful binding, excellent stock and some sexy typography - it's a gorgeous book. However, I hadn't actually expected to learn much from it. I thought I knew it all having worked in the graphic design industry for 10+ years.

Turns out I...
Published on 17 Feb 2012 by Claire

1.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Disappointing
After reading the multitude of glowing reviews for this book, I decided to pick it up and experience it for myself. Having flown through it in a matter of hours, I'm already eager to offload it and get back the money I spent.

If you're after a book that will look nice on your desk, and explains it's concepts in no more depth or insight than a Wiki article or...
Published 17 months ago by JT_IRL

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars I wish I had read this 10 years ago, 17 Feb 2012
This review is from: Know Your Onions: Graphic Design: How to Think Like a Creative, Act Like a Businessman and Design Like a God (Paperback)

Turns out I didn't know it all. The author is not only extremely knowledgeable in his field but he also has some excellent time-saving tips that I never would have thought of using. I especially enjoyed the section on the principles of typography.

I would recommend this book to anyone in the design industry whether they're starting out or have been in the industry a lifetime. There's still plenty to learn as I just have.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you want to "Know Your Onions" - buy this book!, 7 Nov 2013
A modest, intelligently written and beautifully put together book on the design process that is instantly accessible and packs a powerful creative punch - whatever your level of expertise.

Reading this book, it's like having a one to one tutorial with the author. Warm, witty and full of tips that can only come from experience, I found it hard to put down. Not only was I instantly engaged with the content but I also found myself actively starting to think in a different way.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone involved in - or interested in - the design process, whether a fully fledged creative or talented amateur: you certainly won't be disappointed - and could learn a lot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great advice, great read, great book, 12 Oct 2013
I'm a damn fine stand-up comedian, not a graphic designer. Drew is a damn fine graphic designer, and it turns out a damn fine comedian. If only you knew the truth.
I had an idea for a book and had used various online sites to try and turn my idea into a reality. They only took me so far. Drew and his book took me further. His insider knowledge on the industry as well as his thorough knowledge of graphic design and running a graphic design business is outstanding and laid out extremely clearly in his book. Plus he made me laugh. Once out loud on the tube. Heads turned to see what funny book I was reading. A book on graphic design? Who would have thought it? The biggest thing is realising the stuff that you see looks good on a page but don't know why. Drew explains it all and how to do it. So, hopefully, my book, because of Drew's, may find its way into the big wide world.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book!, 26 July 2012
This book is so much more than I expected. As mentioned in one of the previous reviews, I agree that it is like talking to an experienced designer, picking his brains. And yes, he is witty.

The binding is beautiful, the quality of paper inside too. I will read this book from cover to cover and keep it by my desk.

Thanks for sharing 25 years of experiences Mr de Soto.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth buying!, 12 Mar 2014
Would highly recommend this book, wish I'd read it when I was at university. Easy to follow, written with a sense of humour and some really useful hints and tips.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 7 Mar 2014
I love this book, even the texture and feel is cool, its well thought out. Great read and some super tips, I actually got it for the advice on how to deal with print setup etc. A cracking buy for any designer whatever their field. I have ordered the new one on portfolio/interviews, can't wait to read it. Also awaiting stock on Web Design book. Quality Book.

5.0 out of 5 stars From Design Dog to Design God in approximately 32,500 words., 8 Mar 2012
This is not a traditional reference book or a `How to' guide.

What it is, is a very enlightening overview of the whole design process, where the author shares his experiences in a lighthearted yet informative manner. Know Your Onions: Graphic Design covers all the disciplines that the modern designer now has to deal with on a daily basis, breaking them down into small bite-sized sections, before finishing each chapter with a useful recap.

As an old design dog myself, I didn't (want to) believe that I could be taught any new tricks... how wrong I was. This book has enabled me to step back and look at my own design processes, eliminate some of my bad habits, discover new time saving tips and increase my knowledge, especially with regard to typography.

I would recommend this book to anybody who is serious about becoming a better designer or if you are taking your first steps into the design industry, it should form an essential part of your toolkit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great ideas, 14 Feb 2014
Really easy to understand even if you're not a designer.
Loved the look and feel of the book - really demonstrated the title.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nuggets of Knowledge, 7 Feb 2014
Gary Hanna (Leeds) - See all my reviews
Invaluable pearls of wisdom and nuggets of knowledge for any graphic designer, young or old. I regularly refer to it in moments of doubt or indecision. Nice size and lovely tactile design too. HIghly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Biblical, 21 Jan 2014
Excellent in every conceivable way. Very easy to read, stuffed full of tips, guidance and witty bits. Buy it. Now.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›