5.0 out of 5 stars If you want to "Know Your Onions" - buy this book!
A modest, intelligently written and beautifully put together book on the design process that is instantly accessible and packs a powerful creative punch - whatever your level of expertise.

Published 13 months ago by Lindsay

1.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Disappointing
After reading the multitude of glowing reviews for this book, I decided to pick it up and experience it for myself. Having flown through it in a matter of hours, I'm already eager to offload it and get back the money I spent.

If you're after a book that will look nice on your desk, and explains it's concepts in no more depth or insight than a Wiki article or...
Published 22 months ago by JT_IRL

5.0 out of 5 stars If you want to "Know Your Onions" - buy this book!, 7 Nov 2013
This review is from: Know Your Onions: Graphic Design: How to Think Like a Creative, Act Like a Businessman and Design Like a God (Paperback)

Reading this book, it's like having a one to one tutorial with the author. Warm, witty and full of tips that can only come from experience, I found it hard to put down. Not only was I instantly engaged with the content but I also found myself actively starting to think in a different way.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone involved in - or interested in - the design process, whether a fully fledged creative or talented amateur: you certainly won't be disappointed - and could learn a lot.

4.0 out of 5 stars I wish I had read this 10 years ago, 17 Feb 2012
As with all graphic design books I buy (and I buy a lot!) I bought Know your Onions because I liked the look and feel of it. Beautiful binding, excellent stock and some sexy typography - it's a gorgeous book. However, I hadn't actually expected to learn much from it. I thought I knew it all having worked in the graphic design industry for 10+ years.

Turns out I didn't know it all. The author is not only extremely knowledgeable in his field but he also has some excellent time-saving tips that I never would have thought of using. I especially enjoyed the section on the principles of typography.

I would recommend this book to anyone in the design industry whether they're starting out or have been in the industry a lifetime. There's still plenty to learn as I just have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great advice, great read, great book, 12 Oct 2013
I'm a damn fine stand-up comedian, not a graphic designer. Drew is a damn fine graphic designer, and it turns out a damn fine comedian. If only you knew the truth.
I had an idea for a book and had used various online sites to try and turn my idea into a reality. They only took me so far. Drew and his book took me further. His insider knowledge on the industry as well as his thorough knowledge of graphic design and running a graphic design business is outstanding and laid out extremely clearly in his book. Plus he made me laugh. Once out loud on the tube. Heads turned to see what funny book I was reading. A book on graphic design? Who would have thought it? The biggest thing is realising the stuff that you see looks good on a page but don't know why. Drew explains it all and how to do it. So, hopefully, my book, because of Drew's, may find its way into the big wide world.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book!, 26 July 2012
This book is so much more than I expected. As mentioned in one of the previous reviews, I agree that it is like talking to an experienced designer, picking his brains. And yes, he is witty.

The binding is beautiful, the quality of paper inside too. I will read this book from cover to cover and keep it by my desk.

Thanks for sharing 25 years of experiences Mr de Soto.

5.0 out of 5 stars How to think like a creative, act like a businessman and design like a God, 3 May 2014
“How to think like a creative, act like a businessman and design like a God” – Although I can’t claim to have acquired a resulting godlike design prowess, I have to give this beautifully designed and bound publication an unreserved thumbs up. I figured that given its bold claims, great reviews, Drew de Soto’s 25 years of experience in the industry and the fact that it is an object of desire in itself, I just had to buy this book. I was not disappointed.

Benefitting from a wealth of colour illustrations and a robust thread sewn binding, this is a handbook you can actually keep at hand and use year after year. While it may be that the more seasoned of us will learn less, about the principles of design, than the newly graduated; few readers will fail to gain some nuggets of valuable design advice. For my part, I found the information on typography invaluable. It is also very useful to have all such essential information in one place and I have already used its illustrations to help explain certain aspects of the trade to clients.

I doubt whether there are any designers who would not benefit from at least some of de Soto’s business advice. There are none of the usual “we are all in the business of business” platitudes. It simply offers practical and straightforward advice on how to proceed, as a designer, in a manner more conducive to a profitable outcome.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth buying!, 12 Mar 2014
Would highly recommend this book, wish I'd read it when I was at university. Easy to follow, written with a sense of humour and some really useful hints and tips.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for any graphic designer out there, 20 May 2014
This book is a must have for every graphic designer out there, whether you're just starting out or you're at the top of your career. This book provides a wealth if knowledge for the reader, whilst taking you through processes step by step. There are handy hints, a glossary of terms (very useful!), and also little sketches along the way to further illustrate points.

This book is written by someone who knows and who understands how the creative mind works, and rather being a guide on how to be a designer, this book offers something more; a first hand, original, witty and thought provoking document full of advice that will help you grow and develop as a designer.

Having bought this book I would definitely recommend it to anyone out there who works in a design field. I can't wait to read the rest of his work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buying this book won't make you cry., 12 Nov 2014
Jan J. Davis (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
I bought this for my Son, who finished his Degree this year (hurrah! my overdraft can start to go down) straight in to working in a Soho agency and having loved every minute of the experience that went from 1 month Internship to 6, from working 8 hour days to 15.. from couch surfing, to flat sharing, to just moving in to his house-share in London, he is now on the market with a fantastic reference, and searching for a permanent job in Graphic Design. I just got a text message to say he can't put this book down, it is brilliant, no waffle, concise and fantastic for quick reference. When he stops drooling, I might surprise him and mail him the book by Drew de Soto on getting his Portfolio to be better, as he starts his bike-tyre-wearing/tube riding search for a job. Get this book. You will only be disappointed if you don't.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 7 Mar 2014
I love this book, even the texture and feel is cool, its well thought out. Great read and some super tips, I actually got it for the advice on how to deal with print setup etc. A cracking buy for any designer whatever their field. I have ordered the new one on portfolio/interviews, can't wait to read it. Also awaiting stock on Web Design book. Quality Book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super informative and easy to read - cannot put this book down, 21 Jun 2014
I bought this book to help me with a couple of personal projects and to give me an insight into design. I've gained so much valuable info and some cheeky tricks in less than 200 pages, its fantastic. This book is kept on my desk and opened every time i'm at my computer for reference. The sections about printing, layout and file formats are really good, covering basics and more. I'd definitely recommend this book to anyone who works in design, anyone who wants to get into design or works closely with designers.