5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious/nostalgic brilliance.
Published on 29 Aug 2009 by G. Brook

3.0 out of 5 stars Careful - the packaging is not English
I remember the series from when I was a kid. Series 1 and 2 were pretty good, but later series seemed less interesting.

Published on 27 Nov 2011 by Paul from Coventry

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious/nostalgic brilliance., 29 Aug 2009
G. Brook "Gail." (Tamworth, England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All Creatures Great and Small (Season 1) 4 DVD Box Set (DVD-ROM)
I never saw many episodes when these series were on TV, unfortunately the title put me off (don't know why.) But the few i did see really whet my appetite for more. After purchasing Series One, i will definitely purchase the rest of the series. It mixes comedy, nostalgia, drama, romance and really thought provoking situations so effectively, with no sex, violence or bad language. My 11 year-old grandson enjoys it as much as we do. The mix of characters are pure genius, and it smacks of simple and sadly long-gone days of yesteryear. The box is written in Dutch, but the soundtrack is English, and lets face it, who cares about the packaging when the contents are so brilliant? Fantastic viewing for all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 17 May 2008
Ado86 "Ado86" (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
Comic genius! As a veterinary student I find these so true to life its scary ! Hilarious and at a great price too !

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice bit of Yorkshire., 23 Jun 2005
By A Customer
I love this programme. It's wit and humanity are in generous measure and make for thoroughly enjoyable viewing, time after time. The series follow the books pretty well and are a testimony to the joy of life that the real 'James' must have felt living and working in the dales of England.
The DVDs however are a lttle disappointing. The sound is very good but the picture quality is not as good as I expected, worse than broadcast quality in England on BBC or UKTV. Don't misunderstand me, it's not pixellated or blocky, it just somehow looks older in quality, like something from the early 70s rather than the latter 70s.
Whether this is due to its NTSC transfer or the low bit rate of 30bps compared to the normal 50bps at which it has been recorded I don't know.
However please don't be put off by this as the American import is still well watchable and the only way to buy this series in 1 box.

3.0 out of 5 stars Careful - the packaging is not English, 27 Nov 2011

I bought this and also series 2 as a gift. Was dismayed to find that all the packaging is in Dutch not English. You cannot tell that from the conveniently low-res picture displayed on the site. Being region 2 it should play in English OK, but I when this is unwrapped on Christmas Day I am going to have some explaining to do when they see the foreign packaging!

If you are buying the series for yourself then this version is a fair price at the time of writing. Wouldn't recommend buying this as a gift though, as the initial reaction to the foreign packaging could well be disappointment. More effort coulld have been made with the product description and the artwork, but as they stand I think both are deceptive.

5.0 out of 5 stars The beginning of a long treat, 16 April 2013
This series sets the scene, but not the pace. It gets better - and better - once Herriot's courting is out of the way.

2.0 out of 5 stars All Creatures Great and Small, 22 Feb 2013
Have just received my dvd 1 week later than expected. There was no ability to track the package so I didn't think I was going to receive it at all. I kind of wish it had disappeared. I had ordered it as a present and am really disappointed to find that is the dutch version. I have just been looking at it again on the Amazon website but there is no way of telling. I am very disappointed as this is not made clear at all when ordering. Along with the delay in delivery this has been a very unsatisfactory experience and I would not order from this seller again. The dvd does play in english though! But I shall have to do a lot of explaining to the recipient who being older may find it rather confusing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant television!, 20 Aug 2012
I have always loved "All creatures great and small", and this series was no exception! Great to see it all over again.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Yorkshire Treat, 5 Jan 2012
A lovely trip down the stunning memory lane that leads to the Yorkshire Dales. Eeeh By Gum - Heaven on Earth.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointed, 17 Dec 2011
BE VERY VERY CAREFUL. Bought as a Chrimbo present but very cross to discover this is the Dutch release. This was not obvious on the item description (unlike in the series 2 title!). If the person who receives this is even slightly displeased it will be going back. Don't know at this stage if it plays OK - time will tell if it doesn't get returned. VERY, VERY DISAPPOINTED at the lack of clarity and transparency over this being the Dutch release.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite TV-serie, 21 Dec 2004
By A Customer
After about 30 years it is still one of my absolute top favorites.

All Creatures Great and Small (Season 1) 4 DVD Box Set