1.0 out of 5 stars DREADFUL DECK..., 19 Oct 2012
FAMOUS NAME (UNITED KINGDOM) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: SPIRIT OF FLOWERS TAROT (cards) (Paperback)
Looks pretty - but is an awful Deck...

Firstly; these did not look as nice as I'd seen them in images on the Internet. They looked very quaint and cute, but upon receipt, somehow were disappointing... `The Flower Speaks' by Marlene Rudginsky is a far nicer Deck in my opinion. (see my Review for that one)

Secondly; though I always say that one should never give a negative Review for a poor Booklet alone, I suppose I would be doing the same myself, but for the fact I have nothing positive to say about the Deck either... Anyway; the Booklet is also awful... There are NO interpretations for any of the Cards at all - not even a single sentence! Only a long list of key words, and so if you're not familiar with Tarot, then I would leave these well alone... The annoying thing is; these Cards are not cheap wherever you purchase them, and thus wish I'd held on to my money now...

Thirdly; just the key words would not have been so bad - at least as a start for interpretation, but there are just so many for each Card - and so many that are in conflict with each other... For example; some Cards will have a key word such as `prosperity' and then say `downfall' in the same list for definition! Now; if you're not very experienced in Tarot, and thus able to distinguish which Card's key word is the one to use in relation to other Cards within a particular Spread and so on - then what use are these? You'll end up very confused indeed... (I pity the Novice using this Deck...)

I did myself a Reading using the `Corolla' Spread (which is the only one given in the Booklet) and the Reading went completely both ways; it could have been good - it could have been bad (from using the key words in the Booklet) and so which was correct!?? I have no idea and am completely bemused...

All in all; a dreadful Deck and I suggest you not be taken in by the sweet look of them.

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty, but samey, and not readable as a tarot, 4 Oct 2014
This review is from: SPIRIT OF FLOWERS TAROT (cards) (Paperback)
This deck, although pretty, does not really cut it for me as a reading deck. It has clearly been well researched, with meanings given for every flower. And yet, the flower meanings don't always match either the stated card meaning or any traditional notion of the tarot meaning. Furthermore, all the cards show a flower and a fairy, with little or no additional symbolism other than for the Majors.

Temperance, for instance, has some of the traditional symbolism you'd expect: an angelic-looking fairy dressed all in white and pouring liquid from one container (a jug) into another (the 'cup' of a pink/red flower). The jug/flower work to suggest the combining of different elements, the notion of balancing, and the sense of healing often found in this card.

As for the LWB, I find it more bizarre than helpful: "Temperance: Lily
In the language of flowers: innocent love.
Recovery, readjustment, peace, harmony, cooperation, frugality, friendship, study, chastity, friend, young man."

"Young man"?! Really? And "friend" also isn't something I've ever connected to this card. I guess I can see the links to recovery, peace, harmony, frugality and even chastity, but overall this is one of those rather useless Lo Scarabeo LWB's.

The Courts work rather less well as cards in my eyes than the Majors, given they all show pretty, young fairies. Take the Queen of Pentacles. Her earthiness comes across a little through the choice of colours (yellow, green and brown), and the location. Though given the flower theme, all the scenery is 'outdoorsy'. However, other than that there is nothing to symbolise her practicality, her nurturing or ability to make the most of what she has to hand. She's just a pretty, yellow, butterfly fairy with a pair of yellow flowers behind her :(

I quite like the Aces, though once again, if you see them in the context of the rest of the deck they are more of the same: pretty fairy with a flower. Still, if we take the Ace of Wands, the choice of shape and colour works well for me. She seems to be emerging, somewhat prickly, and full of fire and enthusiasm.

The number cards are the weakest of the deck, in my opinion. For example, with the Ten of Swords, there is nothing in the symbolism to suggest endings, pain, overkill, or drama, any of which I would expect to see in this card. While the LWB does give pain as one keyword, it also states that the Hawthorn represents hard-fought love *confused face* And the picture just has a pretty blonde fairy under a bow of hawthorn blossom, looking happy as can be - bah!

For those who read purely on the basis of suit and number, this would still be a readable deck. However, if you like to actually look at the card images, or have prompts from them, then this probably isn't a deck for you.

SPIRIT OF FLOWERS TAROT (cards)
SPIRIT OF FLOWERS TAROT (cards) by Tuan/Castelli (Paperback - 3 Jun 2003)